It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is this disc toast or can the one side be saved?
PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 21:53 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

My stupid flipper player stuck changing from A to B, and when I got the disc out I found this.

The damage is on side 2, which I don't particularly care about. There is a small, maybe .5 centimeter hairline crack in the scooped part but the layer is not cut. I have a single sided player as my main one so it wouldn't get further damage unless the rotation worsened it. Think it's toast?

Attachments:
File comment: Side 2, small chip
20200504_163415.jpg
20200504_163415.jpg [ 264.92 KiB | Viewed 2287 times ]

Post subject: Re: Is this disc toast or can the one side be saved?
PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 22:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you can get another copy of the disc cheaply enough, do that. I personally wouldn't risk it. I learned the hard way recently by accidentally playing a warped disc. Now my player is broken awaiting repair.

If it is a valuable disc, someone else here may know if the disc is safe to play in that condition.

PostPosted: 04 May 2020, 23:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The manuals always make a huge deal of out how you should never play warped or cracked discs. I’ve never had a warped or cracked disc so I’ve never been tempted but I would for sure not do it. If it’s a copy of Daicon or something else really amazing that costs $900 to replace then at least put some CA glue in the crack and play it in a deck you don’t care about. If it’s Red October or Robin Hood Prince of Thieves then just chuck it and don’t look back.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 00:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its really hard to see how bad that is but I have a disc that has a tiny chip on the edge looks like that size.
Plays fine with no issues, accidently did it about 20 years ago and play it occasionally, its a rarer anime and not that big a deal.

Never wanted to try the ca glue as I can just imagine my luck and it would really botch the disc worse when it actually plays fine.

But as above, if its your rare USA T2 widescreen theatrical or Speed then toss it.

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 04:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As long as there are no sharp edges sticking up and there was no data that far out to the edge it should play fine. Working on players I’ve had disc’s fly around in players that release them while spinning and the outer edge gets chipped badly. They still play fine but I always check to verify there is nothing loose that can fly off in the player. If it concerns you I’d just search for another copy.

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 04:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

It's the single Tex Avery disc that I really only bought for Magical Maestro (which is on the middle of side 1 and this damage would be on the edge of side 2). They're supposedly releasing a second blu-ray volume and I would hope this one would be on it when they do. Thank god I didn't play any of my other discs on that POS player.

There isn't any way to disable auto flip, is there? It's a Pioneer CLD-D502. So far all I know that's wrong with it is that the door sometimes sticks on opening and there's something wrong with the flipper. I tried to find a service manual to work on it but it wasn't in the database and all the other sites were sketchy looking "gimmie your credit card" types...

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 05:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

shinobipopcorn wrote:
There isn't any way to disable auto flip, is there? It's a Pioneer CLD-D502. So far all I know that's wrong with it is that the door sometimes sticks on opening and there's something wrong with the flipper.

Just press the Side A button instead of Play.

It might be worth taking the top off and posting a video of the issue.

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 05:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

shinobipopcorn wrote:
It's a Pioneer CLD-D502. So far all I know that's wrong with it is that the door sometimes sticks on opening and there's something wrong with the flipper.

Sounds like you have the typical loading belt issue. Do you hear like a grinding noise when the mechanism tries to flip to Side B?

shinobipopcorn wrote:
I tried to find a service manual to work on it but it wasn't in the database and all the other sites were sketchy looking "gimmie your credit card" types...

We do have the CLD-D702 service manual on file which should have all the mechanical information for the 502. Here it is....

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D702/CLD-D702-EN_Service_Manual_Scan.pdf

The CLD-D502 is definitely not one of the better players especially when you see how Pioneer stripped it down from the 501 (lost the optical output and 2nd set of AV outputs) but mechanically it's a good machine still.

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 05:18 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I think it did make a weird noise. Of the three times I've tested this one out flipping a disc, the first failed (I thought because I hit the side B in the middle of a disc), the second time it worked, and then this time it didn't. I've never used a double sided machine so I'm not used to the sounds it should make.

I'll have to tear it apart next time I get a few days. I'm an "essential worker". :angel:

PostPosted: 05 May 2020, 07:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yup.... need a new belt.

The part number is PEB-1013 or a belt size of SBS3.5.

Here is a post I made on changing the belt for this chassis (9 post down)....

Does it get much better than a CLD-D702?

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 04:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you hear a grinding when flipping to side B these older models you need new white lithium grease on the guide rails and it should flip fine.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]