It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: My HLD-X0
PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 17:04 
True fan
True fan

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is keeping well.

Some of you may remember me mentioning in another thread that I bought a faulty HLD-X0 for cheap a year or so ago. To cut a long story short, I had a guy who could fix electronics. So I decided to take a chance on a faulty X0 in the hopes that this guy could fix it. I drove to pick it up and the guy demonstrated the faulty machine, only using the s-video cable. He said he wasnt interested in trying to fix it himself because he bought it not realising it was a single sided machine, and was only interested in having a flipper. As far as I was concerned he did the hard part of importing it from Japan.

Anyway, it turned out the repair guy was a scumbag so I never got around to giving him the X0 to repair. Mainly due to the excessive weight of the thing (35kg), it sat idle in the same corner I left it in the day I brought it home, wrapped lovingly in a bath towel.

Having had some time off I decided to lift the thing from its corner and test it out. I was using the 925 in the bedroom so decided to swap it for that. The first way I connected it was with S-video because thats how the 925 was set up. The fault which was demonstrated to me back when I bought the machine manifested itself once again. Its hard to describe, its like the image has some kind of black and white filter over it. Its clearly corrupted. This may have something to do with the fact that the other S-video port is physically broken. I did check continuity on the external pins and there were no shorts.

Following that I connected it up with a composite cable. To my surprise, it worked! The X0 works! Pop the champagne, the X0 works! I couldnt believe it. Then it occured to me the guy I brought it from only tested the S-video output!

The picture from this beast is unlike anything ive ever seen from a laserdisc. I'm totally blown away by it and I havent even paired it with the C2 yet! One thing I'm struck by is how quiet it is during loading and operation. It really puts the X9 to shame!

Unless I could find someone reputable, I'm not even going to fuss about the S-video fault. I'm going to have a lot of fun playing with it now. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: My HLD-X0
PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 17:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

IT'S ALIVE..... IT'S ALIVE!!!

That is good news & enjoy.

I don't think I will be in a position to end up with that laserdisc player Holy Grail in my possession but one day perhaps!?!?

Please keep us posted on how you get on with it.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 17:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Congrats!

It sounds like there is something wrong with pin 4 (color) of the S-Video connector, but I wouldn't worry about S-Video at all.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 18:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Good story, shows that you can still make good deals when the seller clearly doesn't know how to operate it. :)

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 18:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

He bought an X0 not realizing it was a single sided machine...

Thank God for stupid people, I guess.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 19:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Remember watching a documentary about a person who bought a Moog synth, said it was broken and didn't realize that they had to actually know how to play
so they sold it to a musician who played it and figured out the problem.

Thank everything for stupid rich people too.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 19:27 
True fan
True fan

je280 wrote:
I don't think I will be in a position to end up with that laserdisc player Holy Grail in my possession but one day perhaps!?!?

I think my story proves it could happen! I believe if you want something bad enough you'll get it one day. Don't give up hope!

cplusplus wrote:
It sounds like there is something wrong with pin 4 (color) of the S-Video connector, but I wouldn't worry about S-Video at all.

If it was as simple as opening up the 925 I would fix it myself but considering how notoriously difficult the X0 is to service I'm definitely not going to worry about it!

signofzeta wrote:
He bought an X0 not realizing it was a single sided machine...

Thank God for stupid people, I guess.

Haha, well to be fair he was quite an interesting guy. He told me that he remembered Laserdisc and how he always wanted to get into it but it was too expensive at the time. So a few years back he jumped into the format full throttle, importing various machines and hundreds of discs from Japan. He had a couple X1's lying around and the main player he was using was the MLD-7020. He had a few more in boxes. I dont think he was someone who saw the X0 as some holy grail. Just another expensive Laserdisc player to add to the collection. Lucky for me the combination of it being single sided and him only having an S-video cable to test it meant it was mine for a bargain price. He was a nice guy though. Enjoyed meeting him.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 20:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

odotb3 wrote:
cplusplus wrote:

If it was as simple as opening up the 925 I would fix it myself but considering how notoriously difficult the X0 is to service I'm definitely not going to worry about it!

Certainly. Keep it closed and enjoy it! :thumbup:

odotb3 wrote:
He had a couple X1's lying around and the main player he was using was the MLD-7020. He had a few more in boxes.

:shock:

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 00:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Remember watching a documentary about a person who bought a Moog synth, said it was broken and didn't realize that they had to actually know how to play
so they sold it to a musician who played it and figured out the problem.

Thank everything for stupid rich people too.

Rick Wakeman bought his first Mini D from someone who didn’t realize it was supposed to be monophonic. He took it home and couldn’t find a single issue so he got back with the guy who said to keep it because he had no use for one note at a time. The original owner was also someone big time but I forgot who it was.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 May 2020, 01:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

odotb3 wrote:
je280 wrote:

I think my story proves it could happen! I believe if you want something bad enough you'll get it one day. Don't give up hope!

I won't ever give up hope but given that so few in terms of other LD models produced the X0 is a pretty rare beast, the chances of a similar thing like that happening again are pretty slim but who knows!?!

You don't have to quote the amount (though it would be interesting to know) but when you say it was a bargain are you talking silly money low?

That really was a great way to bag one of them & you do appear to be very happy to have the wonderful machine & thanks for sharing how you acquired your X0, love things like that when they happen - enjoy it!!

One day perhaps, I can dream.

Cheers :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]