It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: A few things I learned today
PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 20:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Wasn't sure where to post this at it kind of spans multiple subforums on LDDB. Here goes...

I ordered a 2 in 1 out Toslink switch earlier this week, which arrived today, to help with my 'unique' AV set up of sorts. It's not ideal, yet, but did allow me to conduct a PoC to make sure what I want to acheive actually works.

My new chain is now:

CLD-D925 -> Composite (Yellow Cable Only) -> TV (RCA Audio goes from the LD Player directly to the RCA inputs on the Yamaha YSP2700)

and

CLD-D925 -> Digital Coaxial -> Yamaha APD-2 -> Toslink Out -> 2 in 1 out Toslink switch -> Yamaha YSP2700

and

CLD-D925 -> Toslink Out -> 2 in 1 out Toslink Switch -> Yamaha YSP2700

This covers me for Analog, Digital and AC-3 audio with the toslink switch allowing me to choose between AC-3 and the digital stereo outputs. The soundbar only uses the coax, toslink and rca inputs if you have the LD player connected directly to your television. This meant that in my particular chain, I have to remove my Framemeister from the chain.

Another thing I found out today is that the Framemeister overrides any other audio output you may have set up. For example, if I want to watch a disc with an AC-3 track, the demodulator lights up but the Framemeister overrides that audio output and insists on using the HDMI audio output from the Framemeister.

The Framemeister also strips out any subtitles and teletext that may be present on a Laserdisc. I found this out today when trying my BBC British Garden Birds disc. My television correctly brought up the Teletext pages and subtitles when connected directly to the television. I also noticed that if you switch on HQ Circuit mode on the CLD-D925, it seems to soften the picture. At least to my eyes it does. Does anyone know more about the HQ Circuit mode on this player? What is it trying to achieve?

The thing is, I was expecting the image on the television to look garbage without the Framemeister. The thing is, it doesn't, I think it looks better!

Maybe my TV has a decent comb filter in it, or is made of Myrrh or something? Hey, nobody actually knows what Myrrh is so it could be! The one thing I know I definitely do need is a set of RCA cables and a separate composite video cable on it's own, if it's possible to buy one that way?

A productive day today for me on the LD front. Lots learned!

Next, getting bit-perfect audio captures.

Post subject: Re: A few things I learned today
PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 22:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:

I also noticed that if you switch on HQ Circuit mode on the CLD-D925, it seems to soften the picture. At least to my eyes it does. Does anyone know more about the HQ Circuit mode on this player? What is it trying to achieve?

I do remember that a few reviews did refer to the HQ mode thing as "highly questionably" & I don't use it.

The DVL-919E that I had for a while years ago had a rather soft image which went even softer when the HQ mode was on, a bit from the laserdiscarchive site.....

Less obvious for the LD mode is a HQ (High Quality) mode for playing LDs. This engages a noise filter for shaving high frequency detail from the picture.

A pretty useless feature in my eyes.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 23:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Aha! Thank you for this information. I did a video capture switching between modes to see if I could see a difference. There is a difference and it seems to be quite obvious the more you study the clip. The image definitely gets softer in my view.

I done two full disc captures afterwards of Tina Turner - Nice And Rough and Soccer - The Game Of The Century. Both were captured with the HQ Circuit mode turned off.

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 18:40 
True fan
True fan

teddanson wrote:
Does anyone know more about the HQ Circuit mode on this player? What is it trying to achieve?

Basically, don't use it. It applies a form of noise reduction which kills the picture. Even the manual states 'The horizontal resolution may be degraded while the HQ circuit is ON'.

What a great "feature"! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 19:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yep. XRGBs are for video games.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 19:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Yep. XRGBs are for video games.

That is what I used to use mine for but kept it for video too. It feels a bit redundant now in my setup so I might move it on.

I used to have everything from a PC Engine GT to a New Astro City cabinet and several PCB's. Time moves on though and now it is a Switch, N3DS and a PS4 Pro. I still have a glitched XBOX 360S as I couldn't bare to part with my STG's.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]