It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trying to find a cheap "true" CLV (not CAA) disc
PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 09:58 
Third post and above
Third post and above

This is a bit of an odd one, and I apologize if there's a super-easy way to search for this info that I've failed to come up with.

I'm trying to add a cheap CLV disc to my collection. Not CAA-labeled-CLV, but an actual old-school CLV disc. Problem is that CAA is so universally labeled CLV I can't seem to find any easy way to search for CLV that isn't also CAA, or a definitive date for when CAA started showing up so I can just hunt for something older.

Background: I have a LD player and some anime discs from back in the '90s, but this is related to my collection of old video media formats, one of each type and variant. I don't much care what the content is--the cheaper the better--or being able to watch it, it's just about the technology to me. I'm getting down to the really hard to find stuff (EVD, UniHi, DCT, VDR-V1000), when I realized that I was missing some of the funky LD variants. In particular, I have several CLV discs but being '90s titles I'm assuming they're all actually CAA. Hence my desire to find an old-school "pure" CLV title on the cheap.

I should probably post a separate thread asking if there are any major LD variants I'm missing. My list shows (with some overlap): VSD, 5" CD-V, 8" and 12" "CD-Video" (digital audio track), 8" and 12" analog-audio-only, DTS/DD encoded audio, all-CAV, all-CAA, CAA+CAV, and "true" CLV (what I'm hunting for), plus maybe a disc with graphics printed on one side instead of playable "flip this over" filler.

That's not including exotics like MUSE, CRV-disc, RLV, VDR-V1000, HD-MAC prototypes, and whatever the heck discs HDVS used.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post subject: Re: Trying to find a cheap "true" CLV (not CAA) disc
PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 19:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Cheap CLV: Cheech and Chong's Next Movie (1980) [16-021]

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 21:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ANY Extended Play DiscoVision. ANY Extended Play disc manufactured by 3M. Almost any disc pressed for Magnetic Video Corp. The transition from CLV to CAA occurred in 1982. Copies of the original "Star Wars" are available in the 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment jackets can be either CLV (mint marks 1130-80-x04 and older) or CAA (mint marks 1130-80-x05 and higher).

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 22:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

cplusplus, thank you for the suggestion (always better to get something amusing for display even if I'm not going to watch it).

blam1 wrote:
ANY Extended Play DiscoVision. ANY Extended Play disc manufactured by 3M. Almost any disc pressed for Magnetic Video Corp. The transition from CLV to CAA occurred in 1982. Copies of the original "Star Wars" are available in the 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment jackets can be either CLV (mint marks 1130-80-x04 and older) or CAA (mint marks 1130-80-x05 and higher).
I was going to ask whether that particular recommendation was based on the early date or if all Discovision discs like that are non-CAA CLV, but that answers my question.

So essentially anything either 1981 or older, any EP DiscoVision disc, or any EP 3M disc will get me what I'm looking for. Sine the DiscoVision titles are really obvious and have the added bonus of being a full-on alternate name for the format, I'll go with that route.

The "failed versions of technology" fan in me also appreciates that DiscoVision discs were apparently so bad it could have doomed the entire format if another company hadn't salvaged it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]