It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:56

Page 41 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 15:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Venus Wars was an average movie from that era imo.

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 16:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

it had GREAT sense of style; a fantastic soundtrack and very solid animation, far as i recall...

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 17:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, zeta was praising it, and while the animation is top tier I could care less about the story.

There are a lot of anime's like that and that's why you get ones like Akira or Ghost In The Shell, the anime is great and the story is pretty much great.
Also rehashed from other stories but still with their own twist.

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 23:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finally got round to watching Patlabor 3 WXIII today. This was part of the Ultimate Collection Blu Ray set.

Pleasantly surprised by it, once I got the chip off my shoulder!

REVIEW: https://boxd.it/1adyiR

PostPosted: 24 May 2020, 23:54 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

It's been a minute since I've watched much anime but recently I've had a lot of time to spare for obvious reasons. Finally got round to watching seasons 4 & 5 of Slayers, a childhood favorite of mine. Not as good as Try, Next or the first season but fairly enjoyable for what they are, not seen the movies yet. I also recently watched Cells at Work and that slime isekai everyone was talking about last year. I really enjoyed Cells at Work, thought it was a fun, cute and smart series. I'm slightly ashamed to admit it but I actually really liked the slime isekai as well, It's pretty trashy but at least for me it really captured the mindset of playing an RPG, put me in mind of all those times I played Mass Effect and Fallout as a good guy. I'll give the second seasons a watch when they come along.

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 00:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:
Finally got round to watching Patlabor 3 WXIII today. This was part of the Ultimate Collection Blu Ray set.

Oh man. I hated that movie. I also got it in the Blu-ray box though so I’ll probably give it another shot. I do occasionally change my mind on things. I hated Macross 7 from the first concept art but got majorly into it when it was about 10 years old and now it’s a favorite of mine.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 00:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

kid_dynamo wrote:
It's been a minute since I've watched much anime but recently I've had a lot of time to spare for obvious reasons. Finally got round to watching seasons 4 & 5 of Slayers, a childhood favorite of mine. Not as good as Try, Next or the first season but fairly enjoyable for what they are, not seen the movies yet. I also recently watched Cells at Work and that slime isekai everyone was talking about last year. I really enjoyed Cells at Work, thought it was a fun, cute and smart series. I'm slightly ashamed to admit it but I actually really liked the slime isekai as well, It's pretty trashy but at least for me it really captured the mindset of playing an RPG, put me in mind of all those times I played Mass Effect and Fallout as a good guy. I'll give the second seasons a watch when they come along.

The ovas and movie are probably my favorite Slayers content. It's all just good fun though, imo.

For better or worse isekai/mmo isekai is just the back drop for a ton of anime recently. I haven't seen that one yet but it does have some awesome figures and I plan to at some point.

teddanson wrote:

I really did not care for this movie. It might have hurt it that I watched it right after Patlabor 2 initially which is a 9/10 type movie.

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 12:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

gypsy wrote:
For better or worse isekai/mmo isekai is just the back drop for a ton of anime recently. I haven't seen that one yet but it does have some awesome figures and I plan to at some point.

Yeah I tend to avoid isekai anime most of the time, not much to say that hasn't already been said but it seems to mostly be vapid power fantasy trash. This one I give a hearty recomendation though, the main character is a total mary sue but I still found him/her fairly likeable, the side charcters often got a chuckle out of me as well. All that aside I think what the series does best is capture the process of buliding an in-game settlement with the world building that comes along with that.

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 17:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some that I have watched to completion and enjoyed: Konosuba and Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?. Both are pretty close to hard parody. The one with the overly long name even has this gimmick where some character animation is unfinished because the game world is in beta.

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 18:58 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

gypsy wrote:
Some that I have watched to completion and enjoyed: Konosuba and Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?. Both are pretty close to hard parody. The one with the overly long name even has this gimmick where some character animation is unfinished because the game world is in beta.

Not seen either of those, the only other isekai series I've completed are No Game No Life, Outbreak Company and How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, unless you also want to count El Hazard. All of these I found quite enjoyable as well and the latter two are also parodies. I think the third most people dismiss as a tasteless ecchi show which technically it is but it's also genuinely funny with surprisingly good characters.

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 22:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Konosuba is awesome, I had a really good time watching that one.
Great characters in it as well, oh how I love it when Aqua changes
from "not interested buzz off" to "drowning in tears mode".

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 17:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

couple of gaping holes in my Anime collection, finally well and truly filled;

Attachments:
CYBER CITY DVD.jpg
CYBER CITY DVD.jpg [ 258.32 KiB | Viewed 3183 times ]

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 17:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Does that Oedo have the English dub and the whopper UK soundtrack? I have to get it if so!

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 18:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

no, AFAIK, it has subs and the original soundtrack, the only way that i am interested in seeing it, personally,
even though the english dub is indeed rather hilarious, what with all the over-the-top foul-mouthed Man-Menstrating going on and all...

PostPosted: 27 May 2020, 19:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

But the soundtrack though. It is a thing of beauty!

PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 12:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Got the "Silent Mobius" TV series LDs a while back for an insanely cheap price on Yahoo (from the same seller who was selling the Sakura Wars TV series LDs, did anyone here get that?)

I saw the last 10 episodes or so from fansubs shortly after it aired back in the day in my university's anime club, but don't remember much about the plot.

But this is truly the kind of series that is best experienced on LD simply due to how it was made: mostly 24fps film/cel based, but has the occasional 30fps digitally painted scene, and will likely forever only exist on SD composite masters, unless the film reels for the analog portions still exist and some exective puts forth the capital to have it all remastered and recompsited in HD. I also have the Bandai USA DVDs, but they're full of horrednous composite artifacts. Dunno about the JP DVDs, but I assume they're also from composite masters, as the reviews on Amazon JP seem pretty critical of the PQ.

The animation itself isn't anything special, but the art/character design and backgrounds are excellent, as is the "cinemetography" (for lack of a better term).

The characters are given a lot of time to develop and have spotlight episodes that really make you attached to them. From what I remember, even the original manga didn't give them this much backstory.

One small complaint I have is a bit of non-graphic animal violence in one of the early episodes (I sometimes wish that doesthedogdie.com had more amime entries, but then again I'm pretty jaded nowadays so I'd probably watch anything regardless of how violent the animal deaths are).

Anyway, I'd recommended it to anyone who likes near-future SF anime with extra-dimensional demons and s**t, but without getting too violent or moody.

PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 14:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
But the soundtrack though. It is a thing of beauty!

well, the original Japanese OST is easily one of the very best in Anime, at least IMO.

the localized UK one, well, while i've seen it talked around some, i've never actually personally heard it, so i dunno.

in any case, i'm fairly confident that, for me at least, it is no contest at all for the utter perfection of the JPN original...

PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 16:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

jd213 wrote:

Anyway, I'd recommended it to anyone who likes near-future SF anime with extra-dimensional demons and s**t, but without getting too violent or moody.

I've got the movies on LD on my to watch stack. Looked interesting enough to me.

PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 19:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't think Yoshiaki Kawajiri has ever made a bad anime.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 02:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gypsy wrote:
jd213 wrote:

I've got the movies on LD on my to watch stack. Looked interesting enough to me.

The movies are pretty good from what I remember (I liked the first one more I think, but the second one had some interesting character moments IIRC, so will have to check it out again)

There was a remastered anamorphic release of the movies in Japan in the mid 2000s, but still no Blu-ray...

Page 41 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 64  Next