It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:50

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 50 years ago. June 1970. The ultimate no-no...
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2020, 17:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just wondered how many fellow LDDB folks enjoy a bit of silly boys rounders? Thought it relevant to bring it up as it was 50 years ago this month that ultimate baseball hyperlegend Dock Ellis pitched a no hitter while off his face on LSD.

There's a great piece along with one of Ellis's last interviews in 2008 about the legendary no-no here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/30/dock-ellis-lsd-no-hitter-pittsburgh-pirates-baseball

There is also a great 'Dockumentary' film too, well worth a watch as it gives good insight to who Dock Ellis was and what happened to him when he retired.

http://www.nonoadockumentary.com

Anyone else here keen on baseball? Who do you follow? Personally I'm a Mets fan since around 1985 (just before the legendary 1986 series). Though I also have a soft spot for a couple of other teams, the A's, Dodgers (the Brooklyn connection) and a few more. Big in to KBO and NPB too if anyone else follows those leagues. Arizona Fall League etc is cool too.

Post subject: Re: 50 years ago. June 1970. The ultimate no-no...
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2020, 21:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I don't follow baseball at all but that was a great read..... “I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire,” he recounted years later to the New York Times. “And once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate.” Crazy stuff indeed.

Might be worth me checking the guy out, thanks for the post.

Cheers :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2020, 21:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There sadly isn't much to follow at the moment though The Show is back at the and of July in a reduced 60 game schedule, usually it is 162 games.

Definitely check out the Dockumentary, well worth a watch. Put it this way, since MLB records began in 1901 there have been only 303 no hitters (260 in the modern game era). Consider that when you think how many games have been played, from all teams, over 119 years!

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't think pre-1901 no-no's count?

If you watch the film you will also see why he wore hair rollers. He was a wild character but made his voice heard about many issues.

If you want another brilliant documentary too, check out A Band Called Death. A documentary about a Detroit punk band, that some say were the first ever (or great influencers/godfathers of) punk band.

After watching the film I tracked down a CD of their album. Brilliant music and an amazing story behind it all.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2020, 18:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

XD

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]