Following discs that I owned had laser rot:

Men in black
Air Force one
Double team
American President
Barb wire

After that I simply check Lddb to see if any discs suffer LD rot and simply
Stay away from them.

Perhaps being a bit assumptive here but looking at the titles are they all the US releases?

If they are then they are all the SONY DADC US pressings & sadly they are really bad.

Can't off the top of my head remember what it is but there is an issue number that after whatever it is (someone else here can perhaps pop it on) the discs are very poor, most are rot hell.

I don't think I have ever had an issue with SONY DADC Japanese or SONY DADC Austrian pressed LDs but had lots of their US plant pressed discs that have been a total let down.

The SONY DADC US pressed discs are always worth checking before buying & more often than not best avoided.

Post subject: Re: Your experiences with Laser Rot
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020, 01:56 
True fan
True fan

Yes US NTSC releases.

Never had issues with Japanese releases.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020, 10:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

je280 wrote:
therussian wrote:

Men in black
Air Force one
Double team
American President
Barb wire

Stay away from them.

Perhaps being a bit assumptive here but looking at the titles are they all the US releases?

If they are then they are all the SONY DADC US pressings & sadly they are really bad.

Can't off the top of my head remember what it is but there is an issue number that after whatever it is (someone else here can perhaps pop it on) the discs are very poor, most are rot hell.

I don't think I have ever had an issue with SONY DADC Japanese or SONY DADC Austrian pressed LDs but had lots of their US plant pressed discs that have been a total let down.

The SONY DADC US pressed discs are always worth checking before buying & more often than not best avoided.

Someone on here advised that Sony DADC US issue number fairly recently although I can't seem to locate the post, from memory I think they said it was up to LDVS 2000 were generally all good then after that quality control seemed to go down the pan. I recently tried to run Jim Carreys- Ace Ventura When Nature Calls numbered in the higher 2000s and thats certainly a rotter, like yourself my experience of anything pressed at Sony DADC Austria or Japan has always been perfect. Surely Europe with PDO UK had the worst pressing plant of anywhere, is there actually any reliable list of their non rotting discs or is it just potluck with everything they ever produced?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2020, 02:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
je280 wrote:
therussian wrote:

Men in black
Air Force one
Double team
American President
Barb wire

Stay away from them.

Someone on here advised that Sony DADC US issue number fairly recently although I can't seem to locate the post, from memory I think they said it was up to LDVS 2000 were generally all good then after that quality control seemed to go down the pan. I recently tried to run Jim Carreys- Ace Ventura When Nature Calls numbered in the higher 2000s and thats certainly a rotter, like yourself my experience of anything pressed at Sony DADC Austria or Japan has always been perfect. Surely Europe with PDO UK had the worst pressing plant of anywhere, is there actually any reliable list of their non rotting discs or is it just potluck with everything they ever produced?

Hi,

The DADC mint mark number I have been told to avoid is anything 2700 or higher. This mint mark number was reached sometime in mid-1995. That was when whatever went wrong at that manufacturing plant happened. Basically, the higher the mint mark number, the higher the risk of rot. I have seen very few with lower numbers than 2700 which have rot. However, copies can be found of titles with much higher numbers which have no trace of rot. For example, I have rot-free copies of the following in my collection: Alien Chaser (3315), Batman & Robin (3522), The Colony (3306), Dark Planet (3466), Jack Frost (3548), Foxfire (3227), Legend of the Lost Tomb (3423), The Limbic Region (3389), Mars Needs Women (3249), and Not Like Us (3322). My advice would be, if you are considering a DADC title with a mint mark number higher than 2700, ask the seller to check it first. If they are unwilling/unable to do so, I would avoid it, unless it's dirt cheap. The only one of the previously listed titles I did that with was Foxfire, of which I had seen one rotted copy previously. The seller checked it for me, and verified it as "clean". I am pretty sure all of the others I listed here only took one copy to find a "clean" one, but maybe I was just incredibly lucky on those. With persistence, you can usually find most titles rot-free, but it may take multiple copies to do so. Anyway, that's my experience with them.

David :)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 11:04 
First post
First post

I wonder if anyone can help me out with a query about laser rot. I recently bought a sealed copy of the Criterion edition of Annie Hall from eBay. On arrival, I spotted a mark on the edge of the disc. I've attempted to take a photo of it (see below). It's really small, and there are no other marks or visible defects elsewhere.

I've never seen visual evidence of rot on any of the surface of any of my discs before, and I'm uncertain if this rot at all, or whether it's something else (an inclusion or other pressing error, perhaps?)

This pressing also doesn't seem to be a known rotter according to the database. Unfortunately I don't currently have a working player to test it - I'm just hoping that it's far enough out from the centre to avoid huge problems...

Thanks in advance!

Attachment:
cc_ld.jpg
cc_ld.jpg [ 457.31 KiB | Viewed 2862 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 15:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi,

the "rot" thing is something that you would see on-screen when watching the image during playback, colour dots/flashes on screen to a total loss of image & sound depending on the severity.

I have a few LDs that are pretty marked up, dark grey to almost black blotches but the discs play well - most are PDO UK pressed.

Hopefully when you get round to playing the disc it is okay.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2020, 18:28 
True fan
True fan

Ive got a few discs like that, Mainly the gold PAL discs. If you dont see any visible artifacting on screen then I wouldnt worry about it.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2021, 19:17 
blam1 wrote:
I had a handful of 3M titles rot - From the early Digital Sound era. "Dirty Dancing" and "Robocop" if I recall. Pioneer USA from 1982 thru 1984 were hit and miss. Anything from what I call "Technicisc I" was awful - these being "Greystoke", "Bolero", "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", "Tuff Turf", etc. "Technidisc II" is generally pretty good, but not great. These would be titles like "Good Morning, Vietnam" and "Suspect". "Technidisc III" is the bulk of their product from 1991(ish) on. Their stuff is the best Technidisc ever produced. Mitsubishi from Japan had some rot problems - "Star Wars Trilogy", "Beauty and the Beast - WiP". DADC/Sony was terrible at the end. I look at the mint markings - typically anything below LDxx-002700 will be generally pretty good. Between LDxx-002700 and LDxx-03200 it is hit-and-miss. I was finally able to get a good copy of "Two if By Sea". Anything over LDxx-003200 is probably total junk. I have never found really good clean copies of "Starship Troopers", "Air Force One", "Striptease" or "The Devil's Own". I've yet to find a good "Johnny Mnemonic" which is LDVS-002780. I was eventually successful in finding a good "Out to Sea" (LDAC-003587) and "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (LDVS-002881)

In my opinion, even Laserdiscs that were manufactured by DADC USA with mint markings before LDxx-0027000 are terrible. For discs that were manufactured by both DADC USA and DADC Austria, i recommend that you get the DADC Austria pressing because discs manufactured by DADC Austria are much less prone to rot than discs that were manufactured by DADC USA.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2021, 20:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

wagtproductions wrote:
blam1 wrote:
I had a handful of 3M titles rot - From the early Digital Sound era. "Dirty Dancing" and "Robocop" if I recall. Pioneer USA from 1982 thru 1984 were hit and miss. Anything from what I call "Technicisc I" was awful - these being "Greystoke", "Bolero", "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", "Tuff Turf", etc. "Technidisc II" is generally pretty good, but not great. These would be titles like "Good Morning, Vietnam" and "Suspect". "Technidisc III" is the bulk of their product from 1991(ish) on. Their stuff is the best Technidisc ever produced. Mitsubishi from Japan had some rot problems - "Star Wars Trilogy", "Beauty and the Beast - WiP". DADC/Sony was terrible at the end. I look at the mint markings - typically anything below LDxx-002700 will be generally pretty good. Between LDxx-002700 and LDxx-03200 it is hit-and-miss. I was finally able to get a good copy of "Two if By Sea". Anything over LDxx-003200 is probably total junk. I have never found really good clean copies of "Starship Troopers", "Air Force One", "Striptease" or "The Devil's Own". I've yet to find a good "Johnny Mnemonic" which is LDVS-002780. I was eventually successful in finding a good "Out to Sea" (LDAC-003587) and "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (LDVS-002881)

In my opinion, even Laserdiscs that were manufactured by DADC USA with mint markings before LDxx-0027000 are terrible. For discs that were manufactured by both DADC USA and DADC Austria, i recommend that you get the DADC Austria pressing because discs manufactured by DADC Austria are much less prone to rot than discs that were manufactured by DADC USA.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but all my DADC USA LDs sub 2700 seem to be fine but definitely agree with you about the superiority of the DADC Austrian plant. Although lets be honest, nothing can compare with PDO UK for pure garbage surely? It seems Europe was blessed with both one of the best manufacturers and certainly close to the worst in that order :)
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021, 18:37 
Here's how i would rank 9 Laserdisc manufacturers from best to worst:

1. Kuraray - Ever since started releasing THX-certified titles starting in 1993, Kuraray produced some very good quality discs, and i would assume they didn't produce a single failure ever since. Even though The Game is flagged as avoid this release on the database, that mostly applies to the DADC USA pressing, as the Kuraray pressing should be close to Low probability.

2. A tie between Pioneer USA and Pioneer Japan - Their qualities of disc production was about the same for most of the time, but they still produced mostly good discs. The company had only 1 bad period and that was between 1982 and 1985, and then their quality was starting to improve. Despite that, they still sometimes produced a bad rotter (That's the case with Batman Returns).

3. WEA USA - I think that this factory was mostly good at laserdisc manufacturing.

4. Mitsubishi - Despite having a bad period between 1991 and 1993, everywhere else they were mostly a good manufacturer

5. 3M - This factory was decent for the most part, though they experienced a decline during the late 1980s, but that's not as bad as Discovision, Technidisc, DADC USA and PDO UK :)

6. Technidisc - Their disc output was pretty bad during 1983-1987, and it managed to get worse in 1985, but after that, their quality went up slightly, though they were never a very good manufacturer.

7. Discovision - As they were the first laserdisc manufacturer, they produced some bad discs that quickly rotted, but they were still not as bad as DADC USA due to the latter producing discs during the 1990s, which was when many laserdisc manufacturers were good at manufacturing.

8. DADC USA - This is the worst ever USA Laserdisc manufacturer! Their chances of rot, and many of these being produced in the mid and late 1990s, They truly deserve being the worst USA manufacturer!

9. PDO UK - Worst Laserdisc manufacturer ever! They are even worse than DADC USA! Their chances on rot, as well as how bad they were with manufacturing with not only Laserdiscsc, but also early CDs made them the worst Laserdisc manufacturer ever! :x

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 08:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

LD's I own with laser rot:
The Coyote's Lament (comes in around the end of side 2 but still watchable)
The Raccoons Collection (side 2 at the most, which features "The Raccoons and the Lost Star")
Ham on Wry: The Porky Pig Laser Collection (side 1 is rotted but watchable)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 19:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

lonerangerface wrote:
LD's I own with laser rot:
The Coyote's Lament (comes in around the end of side 2 but still watchable)

Mine is perfect, lucked out on the first buy with this title.
Its a great one, I may need to do a 2021 last spin with this one now??

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 19:39 
My copy of Jumanji arrived today. Watched it on my DVL-909 laserdisc player and it has rot. There are a few black speckles but they don't appear frequently and the audio isn't disorted. So i think that is my first rotted laserdisc :(

PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 13:09 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Guest wrote:
Here's how i would rank 9 Laserdisc manufacturers from best to worst:

1. Kuraray - Ever since started releasing THX-certified titles starting in 1993, Kuraray produced some very good quality discs, and i would assume they didn't produce a single failure ever since. Even though The Game is flagged as avoid this release on the database, that mostly applies to the DADC USA pressing, as the Kuraray pressing should be close to Low probability.

2. A tie between Pioneer USA and Pioneer Japan - Their qualities of disc production was about the same for most of the time, but they still produced mostly good discs. The company had only 1 bad period and that was between 1982 and 1985, and then their quality was starting to improve. Despite that, they still sometimes produced a bad rotter (That's the case with Batman Returns).

3. WEA USA - I think that this factory was mostly good at laserdisc manufacturing.

4. Mitsubishi - Despite having a bad period between 1991 and 1993, everywhere else they were mostly a good manufacturer

5. 3M - This factory was decent for the most part, though they experienced a decline during the late 1980s, but that's not as bad as Discovision, Technidisc, DADC USA and PDO UK :)

6. Technidisc - Their disc output was pretty bad during 1983-1987, and it managed to get worse in 1985, but after that, their quality went up slightly, though they were never a very good manufacturer.

7. Discovision - As they were the first laserdisc manufacturer, they produced some bad discs that quickly rotted, but they were still not as bad as DADC USA due to the latter producing discs during the 1990s, which was when many laserdisc manufacturers were good at manufacturing.

8. DADC USA - This is the worst ever USA Laserdisc manufacturer! Their chances of rot, and many of these being produced in the mid and late 1990s, They truly deserve being the worst USA manufacturer!

9. PDO UK - Worst Laserdisc manufacturer ever! They are even worse than DADC USA! Their chances on rot, as well as how bad they were with manufacturing with not only Laserdiscsc, but also early CDs made them the worst Laserdisc manufacturer ever! :x

Why did you say Technidisc and 3M were never good and WEA USA pretty good with Laserdisc manufacturing? Technidisc's defect rates were terrible up until 1986 or 1987. Not only did many of their products rot, but the discs would sometimes also fall apart and there would be visible warping in the picture. They improved after those years. I was able to find several rot-free copies of Image Entertainment titles pressed by Technidisc from the late 1980s, even though some are still rotted. This reduced even further from 1991 onwards until they closed their doors in 1996.

3M/Imation was actually a very good manufacturer, and i think it deserves to get the title "The 1993-2000 Kuraray of the 1980s". I had few issues with most of their discs, but they ended up failing from 1988-1989. They have improved after these years. 3M/Imation was also the last known manufacturer of Laserdiscs, as their last discs were manufactured in April 2002. Pioneer USA/Japan had many rot problems up until 1985, and then it would slowly get better. You also said that Batman Returns was a rotter, including discs pressed by Pioneer. Only the WEA USA pressings are known to rot, though they were far from DADC USA's rot problems.

DADC USA's older releleases were fairly good for the most part, but it started getting worse after a while, especially after the mint markings went beyond LDxx-001800. It became even worse after LDxx-002700. But i do agree with you that PDO UK was the worst manufacturer ever. Discovision also came close to that, but they usually didn't have the awful disc-seperation problems that PDO had on some of their pressings. Kuraray's very first pressings were also not very good, and even though they were not as bad as DADC USA, some of their releases not only suffered from speckling and drop-outs, but also had the warping problems of early Technidisc. This is especially bad on their 1989 Widescreen Pressing of The Towering Inferno and their Dutch releases from Caspar Video. They later improved, and even more so after they became THX-certified in late 1993, and that's when they became the best manufacturer of Laserdiscs! :)

PostPosted: 01 May 2022, 20:27 
True fan
True fan

These are the movies I know that have rot.

Beauty and the Beast widescreen Cav- Barely any rot but did notice rot popping up for like 20 seconds in one scene. 1 out of 5

The Blob 1988 Clv - Rot through out the movie but still watchable but I'll admit I'm picky so it's annoying to notice it popping up 2 out of 5. The Rot shows on this laserdisc too and you can see the glue separating on the disc. It's very blotchy and obvious. However with how blotchy it was I was expecting it to be much worse rot. Didn't bother my Dad but he only has one good eye. He needs to get his vision fixed which he still hasn't.

Rawhead Rex Clv - light rot through out parts of the movie but shouldn't bother most people. I'm just being picky. I see it at times but it's very light and watchable. 1 out of 5

Indian in the Cupboard Clv - major rot that is quite distracting so 4 out of 5. Would not consider this watchable at all.

Friday the 13th part 3 Clv - 4 out 5 and unwatchable. I picked up the VHS of this awhile back since it was cheaper than the laserdisc.

Friday the 13th part 2 Clv - Either a 1 out of 5 or a 2 out of 5. It's noticeable at times but the movie is quite watchable still. Didn't bother going after another copy of this. Unlike the 3rd film this one is watchable from what I remember but I haven't popped it in awhile. I will probably do a laserdisc Friday the 13th marathon on Friday the 13th. Don't know which ones I will be watching though because I personally think these movies are better done at night time. I'll probably watch the 1st, 2nd, and maybe either the 4th or 6th films. Those are probably considered the better movies of the franchise.

Fright Night Widescreen CLV? I think - 5 out of 5 and the worst laserdisc rot I own. Snowball effects through out the entire movie. Seller let me keep this movie and the Cover of it is in like New Condition. A shame the movie doesn't work.

Rabid Grannies CLV - 3 or 4 out of 5. I would consider this unwatchable and I have not watched it on this format because of the rot on this one.

PostPosted: 02 May 2022, 14:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

donkeykong wrote:
3M/Imation was actually a very good manufacturer, and i think it deserves to get the title "The 1993-2000 Kuraray of the 1980s".

Personally, I think that is a bit of a stretch.

donkeykong wrote:
3M/Imation was also the last known manufacturer of Laserdiscs, as their last discs were manufactured in April 2002.

Technically, that would be Kuraray. They were still involved in manufacturing LD Singles in 2007.

Page 9 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9