It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-919] no power LED, tray won't move
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 19:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

hi peeps. i have searched through the other threads and haven't found a problem quite like mine. i've got a 919 here that i suspect was dropped, or subject to some other physical shock. (big dent in the side of the case)

when i turn the unit on, the bottom pickup slides towards the back of the unit and then begins grinding loudly. the laser lens itself is vibrating while it does this. i only let it happen for a few seconds before i pull the plug.

if i reset the pickup by hand by coaxing it to the front of the machine and turn it on again, it does the same thing: slides to the back, very loud grinding.

FYI, before this, the unit was mostly dead. i replaced C116 on the power supply plus the main filter cap for good measure so at least it's showing more signs of life. but i am still not getting a blue power LED and nothing appears on the display.

any idea what's going on with the pickup? i am strongly suspecting that something has been shaken loose or out of alignment, but not necessarily broken off, as i haven't found any loose bits inside the machine. thanks.

Last edited by zoinknoise on 23 Jul 2020, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-919] laser pickup grinding
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 19:58 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

looking at the pickup from various angles, it's obviously not level. there is a slight upward tilt to the left (or perhaps a downward tilt to the right). trying to figure out how it was originally positioned...

Post subject: Re: [DVL-919] no power LED, tray won't move
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 21:32 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

okay, played with it some more and got the pickups to move in and out of the rotating assembly thing at the back. the bottom pickup now seems to move around properly? no more grinding.

still no blue power LED, and the tray isn't responding to button presses. going to keep checking the PSU.

if anyone has any tips, do chime in~

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 22:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Hope someone else can help.
I know there is a part that one would clip on the board that is some type of arc suppressor I believe.

Don't know if that's for the 919 and do any repairs at your own risk.

Not sure what you mean by power LED, it should be on or lit as standby I think, or that's how my 503 is, its always red then
the front display lights up.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 22:33 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

fully recapped the PSU and removed D105 just in case. one of the switching transformers is now making an audible whine at an extremely high frequency, i'm surprised i can hear it. i am going to take this as a sign of life, and not assume i screwed something up even more badly.

still no blue LED, still no tray activity. i have also not seen the upper pickup move under its own power.

Last edited by zoinknoise on 23 Jul 2020, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 22:34 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Hope someone else can help.
I know there is a part that one would clip on the board that is some type of arc suppressor I believe.

yes that's gone.
rein-o wrote:
Not sure what you mean by power LED, it should be on or lit as standby I think, or that's how my 503 is, its always red then
the front display lights up.

from what i understand, when the machine is on, the standby LED is supposed to be blue, right? on my machine, it turns red when the power is off, and does not light up when the machine is on.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 22:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

oh i see now, the blue LED is the large rectangular one above the tray. yep, that has never come on so far.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 23:00 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

i just tried hooking it up to my old Trinitron, which i never thought to do until just now for some reason. it does output a signal, but in wavy black and white only. isn't the default screen supposed to be blue? something is definitely still out of whack.

by "wavy" i mean the signal is stable and crisp, but with faint wavy lines over it, like the color subcarrier is corrupted. need to check the power rails under load.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 23:21 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

P612 blown. really stupid because it tested fine at the beginning of all this. replaced with 1.5A instead of another 1A. weirdly, makes absolutely no difference; player still half-dead.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 23:37 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

P213 also blown. shocker. exact same fuse. weird looking Littelfuse knockoff green 125V/1A. the other pico-fuses on this board are yellow and made by someone else, and they still all test good.

both trays now work. :clap: bottom pickup and assembly moving up and down and around, until it got jammed.

getting closer.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 23:47 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

unjammed the flipper thing at the back. look at it go! the two pickups slide in and out and it flips around like an Olympic tumbler.

CD playback now working.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 23:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Light is supposed to be red and off like you said, never saw blue, must be something else I can't remember.

Sounds like you are doing more than I know of :lol: Good luck with it and enjoy the player once its back up and running.

Also that second laser is for the DVD playback, if you can't get it to work I wouldn't worry, these older DVDs aren't really worth
bothering with, keep the LD parts going :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: [DVL-919] no power LED, tray won't move  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 00:25 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

LD playback now working. both sides. player obviously needs new grease. flipper still gets jammed every few times it's changing pickups, and everything sounds pretty clinky-clanky.

DVD playback not working but i don't really care. edit: the DVD laser is burnt out. perhaps someday i'll replace it but it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. the blue pilot light above the tray is also dead. purely cosmetic issue of course.

i'm going to call this fixed. summary: recapped entire PSU, changed two fuses, realigned one pickup (not sure which one) to the bottom rail.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]