It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:19

Page 46 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
just sat through ALTERED STATES, one of the 4 or 5 discs included with my first CLD-3030 back around 2007.
what a trippy, goofy film. quite the Debut for William Hurt.

I thought about buying the Japanese release but the guy on ebay who had it stopped selling LDs entirely.

My interest in it, apart from the strange premise, is also because it's sampled in this:

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 04:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Kojak

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 08:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Resurrection: Ertugrul on Netflix. So far the best historic tv series.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2020, 13:49 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Tarja ACT II

Fluppy Dogs this needs a dvd release I remember watching this in 1986 and still wished it got a TV show. Old Disney is better.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 02:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Viewed GROUNDHOG DAY again LoL !
Felt like deje vous all over again, and again, and again !

Very underrated film.
Utterly epic !

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 10:54 
True fan
True fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Viewed GROUNDHOG DAY again LoL !
Felt like deje vous all over again, and again, and again !

Very underrated film.
Utterly epic !

One of my favourite movies of all time. Bill Murrays acting is superb.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 13:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i've vague memories of watching MOON OVER PARADOR (1988) with my parents when they rented it around the time it first came out,
so, thirty years later, when i got the chance to check it out from the state library network and see it once more,
i went ahead and jumped on it, and... it Sucked, pretty damned hard.

i mean, it did have maybe two or three mildly amusing moments, but, on the whole, a very typically lousy late-80's throwaway movie...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 20:03 
True fan
True fan

I took my younger brother to our local Cineworld today. They were showing a re-issue of Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone. Probably because of Covid or probably because its an old movie; including me and my brother there was only four people in the entire theatre.

First time I saw this film was in the Odeon at Leciester square in 2001. I think the film holds up, although Daniel Radcliffes acting wasnt that great. Everyone else was really good. Some really good actors in this movie. Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Richard Harris, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis. I forgot that even John Cleese has a cameo.

The special effects even hold up. I think this is because this film came out during a time when CG was rendered to film. Nowadays modern films are all processed in the digital domain. You can actually see the film grain on the CG effects and it makes them look more organic and less fake.

My favourite part of the whole film is the soundtrack. I absolutely adore John Williams score.

The only dissapointment was that it felt like they didnt have the surrounds on in the theatre. Having never seen it at home, I distinctly remember when watching it at the Odeon during the Quidditch scene, the golden snitch buzzing around my head. Even the scene at the beginning when the post flies down the chimney and flies around the room. I rememember being totally enveloped by the sound. In comparision, it sounded like the sound was only coming from the front in todays presentation. Almost as if the film was in 3.1. We sat through the credits to listen to the score. At the end it was revealed that this film was released in DTS, SDDS and Dolby Digital EX plus. So no excuse.

Other than that dissapointment, we both enjoyed ourselves. We booked tickets to see Chamber of Secrets which is showing tomorrow. Not interested in Harry Potter movies after the second one.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 21:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

odotb3 wrote:
I took my younger brother to our local Cineworld today. They were showing a re-issue of Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone. Probably because of Covid or probably because its an old movie; including me and my brother there was only four people in the entire theatre.

First time I saw this film was in the Odeon at Leciester square in 2001. I think the film holds up, although Daniel Radcliffes acting wasnt that great. Everyone else was really good. Some really good actors in this movie. Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Richard Harris, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis. I forgot that even John Cleese has a cameo.

The special effects even hold up. I think this is because this film came out during a time when CG was rendered to film. Nowadays modern films are all processed in the digital domain. You can actually see the film grain on the CG effects and it makes them look more organic and less fake.

My favourite part of the whole film is the soundtrack. I absolutely adore John Williams score.

The only dissapointment was that it felt like they didnt have the surrounds on in the theatre. Having never seen it at home, I distinctly remember when watching it at the Odeon during the Quidditch scene, the golden snitch buzzing around my head. Even the scene at the beginning when the post flies down the chimney and flies around the room. I rememember being totally enveloped by the sound. In comparision, it sounded like the sound was only coming from the front in todays presentation. Almost as if the film was in 3.1. We sat through the credits to listen to the score. At the end it was revealed that this film was released in DTS, SDDS and Dolby Digital EX plus. So no excuse.

Other than that dissapointment, we both enjoyed ourselves. We booked tickets to see Chamber of Secrets which is showing tomorrow. Not interested in Harry Potter movies after the second one.

I thought there will always be pottermania and something like this wouldn't of happen with so few people. I need to watch my UK boxset whenever I get it. It annoys me that Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2 are in the thicker cases than the rest. Also Curaon's is my favorite film I beliieve that's the third one Prisoner of Azaban. But good choice to watch in the theatre :clap:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 11:22 
True fan
True fan

Thanks xtempo. I remember watching the third one in the cinema back in the day and hating it. It was such a departure from Chris Columbus's style that I found it jarring. I hate that freeze frame ending. Shame since Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite book at the time.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 18:19 
True fan
True fan

Watched Chamber of Secrets with my lil bro yesterday. Same cinema, same screen, same time. I dont think I've ever been to the cinema two days in a row before.

Despite the lack of surround sound it was an equally enjoyable experience. The performances from Jason Isaacs, Richard Harris, Kenneth Brannagh and Alan Rickman are all noteworthy. Even the kids acting improved for the sequel. Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy has an unintentional comedic touch to his cold hearted demeanor and it's a joy to watch on screen. He really looks like hes having fun.

The film holds up the same as the original. It follows the book quite well. Despite being adapted from the shortest book, this is actually the longest film in the series. The special effects still hold up after all these years too. The Basilisk at the end is still very effective. You can tell they made a real one and would switch between it and a CGI model. Just like the t-rex in Jurrasic Park, it really helps sell the effect.

The soundtrack isn't as good in this as it was in the first one because John William's was too busy scoring Star Wars Ep2.

Also I got my surround formats mixed up in the last post. It was Dolby Digital Surround EX not EX Plus.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 18:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

that's good to see. enjoy your self. I kinda like Harris as Dumbledore and was sad he passed away during the shooting of the series.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 21:08 
True fan
True fan

Richard Harris was Dumbledore as far as I was concerned. It was very sad when he passed. Michael Gambon felt like a cheap imitation in comparison.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 21:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed all three Peter Jackson Hobbit movies back to back three nights in a row.

This coincides with my sons visit from out of state this summer.

I have The Silmarillion going in my truck for the next few weeks.
Books on CD still is a viable format in my world !

Gotta get my J.R.R. Tolkien fix every so often....

Ken Russell's Altered States is one of many epic films by that fantastic director.
Tommy will always have a special place in my heart.
Check "The Music Lovers", "Lair of the White Worm", and/or "The Rainbow", (Gothic) also !

Cheers people.....

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 22:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

firehorse_44 wrote:
Just viewed all three Peter Jackson Hobbit movies back to back three nights in a row.

Ken Russell's Altered States is one of many epic films by that fantastic director.
Check "The Music Lovers", "Lair of the White Worm", and/or "The Rainbow", (Gothic) also !

Cheers people.....

Extended or theatrical cuts? I've only seen the theatricals cuts though I still like the animated movie more as its one of my childhood favorites. I kinda wished Jackson did one movie but the added stuff is interesting like the girl elf.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 23:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I really liked Jackson's LOTR for what it was but did not enjoy the Hobbit trilogy nearly as much.

As for Harry Potter I've still watched them all just once which was on blu ray after the movies were done releasing. They are more or less all **/**** material to me, though the last couple films really start to drag a bit.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2020, 01:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:

Cheers people.....

Extended or theatrical cuts? I've only seen the theatricals cuts though I still like the animated movie more as its one of my childhood favorites. I kinda wished Jackson did one movie but the added stuff is interesting like the girl elf.

My son offered to buy the extended versions !
As lame as it is to relay, I have never seen the long versions.

Nothing like the books, they take the cake !

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2020, 08:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Crimson tide.
First time viewing, great flick.
Obviously fiction but i enjoyed.
DtS track was very well done
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2020, 12:20 
True fan
True fan

I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Saw all three in the cinema. Hated The Hobbit trilogy. I thought it was boring with way too much filler. The effects looked worse than in 2001/05. How they thought they could stretch out such a small book into three feature films is beyond me. It's all about the money I guess. It should have been two films. I downloaded a fancut which merged all three movies into a 4 hour long movie and it made a big difference. Still not perfect. I think the reason why they weren't as good is because Peter Jackson was never meant to make it. He came in last minute after Guillermo del toro left production. Preproductuon was done a year in advance on lotr. On the hobbit they were making it up as they went along.

The Silmarillion is one of my favourite books set in the Tolkien universe and I would recommend it to anyone who hasnt read it.

@gypsy, I liked all the books but past the third film I lost interest.

@jakeheke, glad you liked Crimson Tide. Such an epic film with amazing performances. I cant wait to watch my DTS copy.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 15:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i vaguely remember seeing at least the first few minutes of PEE WEE's BIG ADVENTURE as a young boy
with my Aunt's kids over at her place around what had to have been 1987 or 1988.

i just ended up with a chance to see it all the way through 30 years later, and... EFFIN' STUPID, no offense intended to whatever fans it may have these days...

Page 46 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 76  Next