It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:50

Page 16 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the last laserdisc you bought?
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 21:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well, I didn't even know which came first, had the box years ago and for some reason decided to sell it off, nice set with 2 discs inside the sleeve.
Great making of the film on the last side.
Music was great on the episodes, that's one of the things I remember, also the E.E. Smith estate won't let these out ever again so this is the
only way to enjoy them.

Shame as the series would have been cool with all episodes, but again this was released before the massive LD series box sets in Japan.
They really started doing that a few years after this Lensman set came out.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 20:51 
True fan
True fan

I ordered this one three months back. It clearly got lost in the post as I've never had something take that long to arrive from the US. I completely lost faith that it was going to turn up. Anyway, here it is:

Money Talks

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2020, 01:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That...looks like it was created by a secret lab to be the Worst Movie Ever.

EDIT: Did some Googling...this is apparently Rush Hour without Chan...so the only tolerable thing about those films wasn’t in place yet...it HAS to have been created in a lab. This is weapons grade action comedy.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2020, 17:00 
True fan
True fan

Fresh from Japan en un-opened US release of Private School.

Attachments:
117537467_436977277263238_2244016385874374105_o.jpg
117537467_436977277263238_2244016385874374105_o.jpg [ 143.13 KiB | Viewed 3294 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 12:14 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I am about to be buried in what Norwegian Post estimates to be 24kg (53 lbs) of laserdiscs, over 5 packages.

The VAT is going to be scandalous, but still cheaper than staying a week or two in Japan, which isn't really an option these days anyway.

Special thanks to admin and mccasland who are the originators of 4 out of 5 shipments.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 15:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Shipping costs from japan to Norway are going to be huge but those 4 LD Boxes + Lensman special edición LD is a great treasure for the future

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 08:14 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
That...looks like it was created by a secret lab to be the Worst Movie Ever.

EDIT: Did some Googling...this is apparently Rush Hour without Chan...so the only tolerable thing about those films wasn’t in place yet...it HAS to have been created in a lab. This is weapons grade action comedy.

Haha, its alright for what it is. Charlie Sheen plays the straight guy which is hilariously out of character for sheen. Chris Tucker plays the obnoxious criminal who gets mixed up in Sheens life. I havent watched it in a while but they have to stop a diamond heist or something? The part when Chris Tuckers character convinces a bunch of Italians that he is Vic Demone's son is hilarious and the action isn't too bad either. As someone who enjoyed more than just Jackie Chans presence, this precursor to Rush Hour isn't too bad and I was glad when I found the LD.

At least give it a watch before you declare it a weapons grade action comedy that was made in a lab to be the worst film ever. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 13:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I can't really stand Tucker I'll see if I can stream this, don't care about either to be honest but comedies where people touch each
other are true WMD if you ask anybody now.

Edit= Nothing on streaming for free, will check youtube.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2020, 13:56 
True fan
True fan

Keep searching rein-o, it's worth a watch. Just dont spend as much as I did for the Lasedisc. :roll:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 20:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Most recently got:

No Way Out: Late 80's Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman spy flick

Face/Off: Travolta and Cage action flick.

Have watched both and good fun all around!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 08:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rick_dangerous wrote:
No Way Out: Late 80's Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman spy flick

Blimey! NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD!

Not so much for the film itself. It's alright. It's just you took me back to 1988 when I remember this film playing at the local cinema alongside Someone To Watch Over Me and Robocop! :crazy:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2020, 09:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Stumbled upon this while scouring the last outposts of the Yahoo Japan Auctions Intergalactic Night Railroad late yesterday evening. Snapped it up this morning.

Considering it's going to take 860,000 years to ship out of Japan I'll post these seller photos (until it arrives in my gaf) as I can't wait to share this whopper. :lol:

Here's a copy of a very early Jackie Chan fillum called Magnificent Bodyguards. It was released in 1978 (I think). It's available on Blu Ray and whatever, and that's great but...

Here is the Tokuma Ultra Vision 3D version of the film! It was released in cinemas way back in the 1970's as the first 3D Hong Kong film. It was released on different home formats but not in 3D!

This Japanese Laserdisc is the only version outside the 35mm print that is available in 3D on any format right now. There is a special edition Fist Collection (no, not a bunch of bluey's! :lol: ) of Jackie Chan films that was released on Blu Ray in Japan by Fortune Star. That set does have this film in it, but it doesn't state if it is a full feature. The blurb reads like a clip is shown in 3D but the box set comes with no 3D glasses etc so I'm not sure what the story is. Also, it was Japan-only and limited to like 300 copies or something and is now hyperexpensive.

The downside is the film is dubbed in Japanese. My plan for this though is to capture the disc, bit perfect, then trim out the disc side change etc in Premiere Pro. Buy the Blu Ray to add the original audio track (and hope it will sync!). Then i'll run the whole thing through ALASS and sync the English subtitles to make my own ultimate edition. Hopefully it's not rotten... :lol:

I love weird discs like this. It's why I buy Laserdiscs. :)

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2020, 14:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I saw those too, they are really cool but a few different things put me off on owning that disc.
1 the Chinese, I can't even understand anything, oh I do understand one word.

But cool, keep us posted when you get it, I'm waiting for my haul, should be here in another 6 weeks.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2020, 23:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Those 3D glasses are weird, why stars and stripes? :lol:

Last edited by deadlegion on 02 Sep 2020, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2020, 23:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just picked up "Instinct"" with Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding Jr.

Wished this late copy for the shelves for some time now.
Love that feeling of finding a personal gem !

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2020, 00:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
just picked up "Instinct"" with Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding Jr.

Wished this late copy for the shelves for some time now.
Love that feeling of finding a personal gem !

Cheers

A pretty hard to find LD there, enjoy.

Fully get the "Love that feeling of finding a personal gem" comment, great when it happens & the waiting game pays off.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2020, 13:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A few unexpected items arrived in my bagging area this morning from Japan.

First up, Virtual Trip: Bali. I'm looking forward to testing the 3D audio on this one.

Next up is the works of MC Escher with Infinite Escher. This was made by Sony HDVS team so should be fairly juicy!

This is Kate Bush Live At Hammersmith Odeon. It's a recording from one of her famous short run of shows in 1979. From what I can gather, this appears to be the best version on Laserdisc. Please correct me if I am wrong so I can get a better copy! :thumbup:

This is a Pioneer sampler disc. There is a pink slip sheet inside that has a long list of items that are on the disc. Keen to see what trailers etc are on it. Picked it up as a curio.

GASP! Not a Laserdisc! This is a Superbit demo DVD. I think it was played perhaps in stores or maybe given to the media to showcase Superbit DVD quality. The disc carries DTS audio too, as per the Superbit standards of quality! Keen to check this one out. I only have one Superbit DVD, So Close, a Japan import, and it's excellent (better than the horrible 1080p version on Prime Video imho).

Saved my favourite until last. This looks to be the definitive Shakatak Laserdisc imho, as it has Invitations and Night Birds on it (which are just mega). Shakatak: Twilight Sensation is a live disc, hopefully with whopper audio. Shakatak discs seem to be a little troublesome to find, it took me a good while to find any and then back in June of this year a few showed up, including this one. Just hope it's a good disc!

It's fookin' SHAKATAK! OF COURSE IT IS GONNA BE WHOPPER! :D

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2020, 16:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nice lot of discs there teddanson.

The M.C. Escher one is interesting, don't be too mashed while watching it though!

Your Kate Bush Live at Hammersmith Odeon LD is a good one & is along with the Japanese '87 Digital Selection LD much better than the early Japanese release & the early UK PDO pressing - it looks to be in great condition too.

Enjoy :thumbup:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2020, 10:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks! Yeah, the M.C. Escher disc looks great, I didn't get to test it out yesterday but gave all the others a quick spin.

The Kate Bush disc is superb, especially as the source is from 1979. I'd be keen to know what the actual source was, especially for the audio as it's very good. Glad to know I appear to have the right edition too so thanks!

The trailer disc was great. There's a few clips of some F1 discs on there. I've now developed a desire to pick a couple of those up if possible. The video and audio quality of that sampler Laserdisc is superb by the way. Really very high quality even on my lowly setup.

Virtual Trip Bali was great. Nice to sit alongside my Virtual Drug discs. The 3D audio is great. While I wouldn't exactly tag it as such, it is more of a really well mastered stereo track with great panning and sound placement. Note that it's sound placement in terms of panning and volume rather than actual sound object placement used in stuff like Dolby Atmos and Dolby 360. I was listening to the Bali trip with a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3's over Bluetooth connected to my soundbar which are both 'LDAC, Hi-Res and all the rest of it' capable.

The Superbit DVD was excellent. I played this on my Panasonic DP-UB820 which not only upscales the source really well, but also displays the current audio and video bitrates which is useful information to have. The Superbit DVD tops out around 8mbps, just shy of my So Close Superbit DVD which squeezes in a rather juicy 9-ish mbps. The demo disc is all DTS thoughout the features, the menus and the intro message are Dolby Digital. You can also choose to run the disc features in DTS or DD via the menu. The menu's are Japanese but all the features are in English (you can switch on Nihongo subs in the menu if you wish to).

It's a really nice DVD, the video is superb and the DTS audio is, as it's acronym suggests 'Damn That's Sexy'. The behind the scenes video discussing how Superbit DVD's are produced is especially interesting. Overall, a nice little disc that I'm glad to have.

The true, Michelin-starred fabrique Belgique jewel in this particular set of discs though, is the Shakatak disc. Twilight Sensations is whopper. I'll chuck a mini review of that over in the disc reviews section as I've seen that all the way through.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 09:30 
True fan
True fan

A lovely near mint Akira has landed.

Attachments:
119031416_458445445116421_3537071384082748657_o.jpg
119031416_458445445116421_3537071384082748657_o.jpg [ 255.42 KiB | Viewed 3440 times ]

Page 16 of 44 [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next