It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dollar Tree DIY Laser Disc Frame/Stand
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 21:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm in the midst of a mild theater renovation/upgrade which includes:

- Projector Upgrade (Epson 4000)
- CIH Screen (Silver Ticket 125" 2.35:1 Woven Acoustic)
- Recliners (Latitude Run Red Leather 3-Seat)
- DVD/BD/LD Shelf with integrated projector hush box

The top shelf is going to be used for LD display (not bulk storage). As such, I wanted some sort of frame/easel/stand for 3 discs. I'd seen some wood easels at the Dollar Tree but when I went back they were gone, and I think they may have been too short to hold the weight of an LD without tipping. What I came up with instead is a combination of Lexan 8x10 picture frames and command-strip hooks. The display the LDs while remaining mostly invisible (I may paint them black to blend/disappear even more). The only downside is they lean a little more or less depending on the weight of the disc(s), but this shouldn't be a problem since my plan is to display the Star Wars Faces LDs (which should all be the same weight).

Total cost for 3 frames/easels - $5 (with 2 leftover hooks)

Post subject: Re: Dollar Tree DIY Laser Disc Frame/Stand
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 22:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

that's a brilliant idea!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2020, 22:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks! I should have the shelf/hush-box done in the next couple of days. Can't wait to get it all loaded up and see how it all looks!

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2020, 16:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The room still needs to be painted, so I haven't put the trim on the shelf yet... but here are the LD frames/stands on the top shelf displaying the Faces discs. I redid the frames with some smaller silver hooks that Dollar Tree had. The white hooks originally pictured would hold about any 2-disc sleeve but not something like the 3-disc Jurassic Park box. The smaller silver hooks will hold pretty much any 2-disc sleeve as long as it didn't have a thick edge and are snug on the Faces gate-folds.

I also figured out the difference in lean angle on the frames wasn't due to lighter/heavier packaging, but simply differences in manufacturing of the frames themselves... I just use the corner of the disk sleeve resting on the back edge of the shelf to adjust the lean so they're close to the same.

I have 6 formats (LD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, 3D Blu-Ray, and UHD) on this shelf, including 2 dead (LD and HD-DVD) and 1 near-death (3D Blu-Ray)... 7/3 if you count the faux-VHS case (which is just Season 1 of Stranger Things on UHD/Blu-Ray).

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]