It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:16

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: [CLD-79] Squealing Noise
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 04:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well, I tried. I got the motor replaced, but I can't get the cam gear to rotate enough to lower the servo section back down. Essentially, the spindle motor is in the up position. I think the loading fears are in the closed position even though it is open. I try to move the gears back to the open position by hand with the tray out, but there doesn't seem to be enough range of motion. I think I bricked my player.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 05:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
With the tray out turn the gears to put the mechanical assembly in position that the tray is fully loaded, you'll see one part of the base sliding back. When it just reaches full back stop turning the gears.

This is the part I can't reverse.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2020, 19:54 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

UPDATE: I had to remove the CD plate to get the cam gear in the correct position.

Now loading and unloading work fine. However, the replacement spindle motor does not work. I get a U1 error with an LD and U0 with a CD. I don't know it is an installment error on my part or if the eBay vendor from Korea sold me a bum motor.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 00:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You should be able to check the spindle motor with a battery when disconnected from the power supply to at least see if it spins.

Is there any spinning at all? Looking via the side, do you see the objective lens attempting to focus (up/down) when you press play?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 00:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

cplusplus wrote:
You should be able to check the spindle motor with a battery when disconnected from the power supply to at least see if it spins.

Is there any spinning at all? Looking via the side, do you see the objective lens attempting to focus (up/down) when you press play?

I tested it with a D cell battery, and the motor is indeed dead. I confirmed the test with the old motor (which still spins albeit noisily). It is past eBay's statute of limitations to leave negative feedback, but I sent the seller a message anyway. Just in case anyone is tempted, I strongly recommend you avoid eBay seller dune3888 from Kyunggi-do, South Korea. Apparently they don't test parts before sending them out.

I'm an idiot for not checking it earlier. It took me several, stressful hours to replace it.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020, 04:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

UPDATE: the problem with the motor is a damaged wire connector. It was bent flat against the motor body when it arrived (the box it came in was very smashed). It didn't realize that it was unusual at the time. But upon close examination, I noticed a tiny crack. When I gave the power connector a tiny tug, it snapped right off the motor.

I don't see any way to fix it.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2