It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-909 vs CLD-S104 vs Denon LA-2300 vs Panasonic LX-101
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 16:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm looking to pick up a third player. My current backup player (an old, creaky LD-V2200) has some issue lately with a faint buzzing noise in the audio. Very faint but enough to annoy me. It's not a good enough player to bother repairing. Doesn't even play digital tracks. There's a local electronics repair shop that is selling the models in the title as refurb units, with a warranty. I'm trying to figure out which one to go with.

The Denon appears to be a CLD-D515 clone, which I believe would be the best of this bunch? It lacks digital audio out, which is a bit of a bummer, but as long as the built-in D/A converter is high quality I'd be fine with it.

The CLD-909 and CLD-S104 are pretty low-end models, right?

And I can't really find much detailed info at all about the Panasonic LX-101.

Finally, how do all of these compare to my current best player, a CLD-D406? It has a decent feature set, but I'm wondering if any of these others have a better picture. The 406 seems to be a bit on the noisy side.

I also write software.

Post subject: Re: CLD-909 vs CLD-S104 vs Denon LA-2300 vs Panasonic LX-101
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 16:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Picture quality-wise the DVL-909 is good, better than CLD-406. The S104 is the most low end player ever. If it’s local and it works it’s worth getting of course because it’s 2020 but don’t bother with anything more complicated. It’s as bad as Pioneer ever got LD-wise. Any worse it would be a Sony.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 16:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I believe the LX-101 is the lowest end player by panasonic.
They only ever released about 4 or 5 models of players, you can search it up to find out exactly.
While both the 101 and S104 may be the lowest end players of each company I would pick the LX-101 over the S104 anyday.

I had S104, it worked for a day then my expensive Japanese LD got stuck inside and I had to take a screwdriver to get it out and
spend time to put it back together again.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 17:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

It's the CLD-909 and not the DVL-909, from what I gather it was Pioneer's second player that could do both CD and LD. I'm assuming it doesn't look as good as the DVL-909?

So all of these players are priced at $195 except the S104 which they're asking $145 for and it sounds like even that is a rip off lol. But working mid-range players for $200 with a warranty sounds like a fair bargain to me.

I may actually pick up two players because like zeta said, it's 2020! Grab all the working players you can!

They happen to have two of the Denons in stock, so if that's better than the CLD-909... :)

EDIT: And "warranty" in this case means, they'll fix it within 90 days if something's wrong, and if they can't fix it I can take another one of the players or get my money back.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 20:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You haven’t mentioned the most important part; shipping. Shipping changes everything.

Warentees are likely useless since they can’t fix anything and cash has no value to an LD collector. Time and LD players are the only real currency. If they can’t send you another player then they can only give you money and you can’t ever get the time back you wasted on that player and researching the next one. Once you have 1000 discs you can’t play you’ll understand how important what I’m saying is.

If those players are all tested and working I’d saying they’re all worth the money. Feature sets don’t really matter until you reach a certain threshold of quality. A perfectly working “most crap deck ever” is better than a broken CLD-97. The S104, I have to say, only cost $299.99 (yes, with 9s in the cents), cheeper than any Pioneer player. It’s noisy in every way LD players can make noise BUT...it’s the youngest deck there...which is both bad and good.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 20:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mikechambers wrote:
It's the CLD-909 and not the DVL-909, from what I gather it was Pioneer's second player that could do both CD and LD. I'm assuming it doesn't look as good as the DVL-909?

Correct.

LD-V2200 and CLD-909 will have the poorest picture quality. I assume the CLD-D406/LA-2300/etc have picture quality similar to the DVL series, but I have seen neither in person.

The LA-2300 and CLD-S104 have M-Holders which mean they are fragile.

The LA-2300 is the only Both Side Play player that they have for sale, so if that is a must, go with it. If not, I'd go with the CLD-S104. I don't know anything about the LX-101.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 20:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
You haven’t mentioned the most important part; shipping. Shipping changes everything.

Warentees are likely useless since they can’t fix anything and cash has no value to an LD collector. Time and LD players are the only real currency. If they can’t send you another player then they can only give you money and you can’t ever get the time back you wasted on that player and researching the next one. Once you have 1000 discs you can’t play you’ll understand how important what I’m saying is.

If those players are all tested and working I’d saying they’re all worth the money. Feature sets don’t really matter until you reach a certain threshold of quality. A perfectly working “most crap deck ever” is better than a broken CLD-97. The S104, I have to say, only cost $299.99 (yes, with 9s in the cents), cheeper than any Pioneer player. It’s noisy in every way LD players can make noise BUT...it’s the youngest deck there...which is both bad and good.

Well here's the great part. These are for sale at a local electronics repair shop that's been around since the 1960's, so I thought I'd pounce on the opportunity since I never find decent/working players locally. No shipping involved except me taking it home in my car.

I don't like getting LD players shipped if I can help it. Worked out well for me twice. Got a broken one once. It's a crap shoot and contributes to the falling number of working ones still out there, but some areas they're just not common in.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 20:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
mikechambers wrote:

Correct.

LD-V2200 and CLD-909 will have the poorest picture quality. I assume the CLD-D406/LA-2300/etc have picture quality similar to the DVL series, but I have seen neither in person.

The LA-2300 and CLD-S104 have M-Holders which mean they are fragile.

The LA-2300 is the only Both Side Play player that they have for sale, so if that is a must, go with it. If not, I'd go with the CLD-S104. I don't know anything about the LX-101.

I don't really care much at all about both side play. In fact, it's kind of nice if it's not a feature because it's another mechanism to break down one day. But my main concern is picture and sound quality.

Those M-Holders are really only a concern during shipping, right? I treat my units nicely, never get rough with them.

I'm thinking I'll either pick up both Denons, or maybe one Denon and the S104. But it would be nice to have both Denon. If one ever breaks, it can become a spare parts bin for the other.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 21:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mikechambers wrote:
Those M-Holders are really only a concern during shipping, right?

I believe so.

The LA-2300 wins on sound in my book just because it has AC-3 RF. Even if you do not currently have an AC-3 setup, it is nice to have the option if you decide to in the future.

You could bring in a CLV disc that you know has good picture quality and compare the LA-2300 and CLD-S104.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020, 22:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So how does that scam, er I mean deal work.
What type of warranty are they giving? you can't get parts for any of these players anymore.

Are they charging extra for the warranty or is that in the asking price??

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 00:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
So how does that scam, er I mean deal work.
What type of warranty are they giving? you can't get parts for any of these players anymore.

Are they charging extra for the warranty or is that in the asking price??

If they break within 90 days they try to fix. If they can't fix, they'll give me one of the other players or my money back. Seems reasonable. Better than as-is.

I don't know if it's included in the asking price but frankly don't care. Finally found decent models locally. It's a laserdisc desert where I live. $200 for a good condition mid-range player is OK with me.

I ended up buying a couple. I just tried the Denon, works great! No weird noises, both sides play, and the picture does look cleaner than my D406 actually.

Still need to test the other.

EDIT: The other one works too.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020, 00:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

In my humble opinion, I'd choose the Panasonic LX-101 and Denon LA-2300.

The Panasonic LX-101 is an equivalent to the Pioneer CLD-S104 but it's built w/ more heft and thus more durable. The Denon LA-2300 is simply a good choice because it's the most advanced of the bunch having auto reverse and AC3-RF output.

I personally wouldn't get the 909 simply because it's the oldest but then again it might work fine if it doesn't have a lot of mileage on the laser and mechanism. Also, probably wouldn't have the best picture of the lot.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]