It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:02

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-99] Not powering on
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 01:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The other day there was a thunder storm. At the first boom I unplugged all my vintage AV stuff, but possibly not in time because the CLD-99 won’t power up (no light or activity whatsoever). It may have also just died on its own, hard to say...

So far I’ve only had time to get the lid off and retrieve the LD that was in there. I think I noticed some browning of the power PCB in the area of the transformer R5, R15, R16, etc. I’ll get it all apart at take a look at it this weekend. Wish me luck!

Do we have a manual for this?

Given the relative mechanical frailty of 99s can I assume there are used power supplies around?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Post subject: Re: CLD-99 not powering on
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 03:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

:sick: This is horrible.
Did you have it plugged into a power strip with circuit breaker???.

I'm just concerned about my and other's setup if or what we should be doing extra to possibly save our stuff in the future.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 03:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thats unfortunate but power supply issues are for the most part much more manageable than bad spindle or pickup.

SM here: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-99/

VWR1200 power supply is also in the CLD-D503, CLD-V850, CLD-D703, CLD-D704, and CLD-79 according to Pioneer.

The browning is probably just from heat over time, but worth taking look at. If you have a multimeter I'd disconnect the power going to the rest of the unit, check the fuse and make sure voltage is at least making it into the transformer.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 03:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the fuse is blow check the diode bridge for a short. If it is not blown then it is probably one of the two transistors in the primary side or the opto-isolator feedback.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 11:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sincerely hope you get it sorted, it would be a tragedy to lose a lovely machine such as this, keep us posted :thumbup:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020, 03:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Check the fuses like others have said. Do you see anything out of the ordinary on the power supply?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 07:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I just "partially" fixed one of my vintage Mitsubishi VCRs' that had no power. :problem:

I isolated the issue to be a completely shorted power transistor and appeared everything was great right after replacing it. However, after testing it with a tape and within something like a half hour I hear this tiny pop and then the picture on tape playback went berserk. Been testing mostly the mechanical side including dirty heads and nothing unusual. I'm thinking the issue might be dried up caps causing power issues on some parts of the VCR as this is an 87' model that's built w/ multiple circuit boards so any oddities could occur (unlike newer machines w/ just one board and switching power supplies).

Anyway, this is about a CLD-99. Start from the AC cord and work your way in to see about finding shorts. Could very well be a transistor or maybe an ICP protector that popped.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 18:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
I'm thinking the issue might be dried up caps causing power issues on some parts of the VCR as this is an 87' model that's built w/ multiple circuit boards so any oddities could occur (unlike newer machines w/ just one board and switching power supplies).

I understand!. I've been working on a Sony SL-5200 from 1983. It is the hardest thing I've ever worked on.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 20:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

cplusplus wrote:
I understand!. I've been working on a Sony SL-5200 from 1983. It is the hardest thing I've ever worked on.

Well... I’m lucky it’s not my HS-U80 :) . I might be really depressed if it was. Going to look at it again later and see if I can trace back what caps power up the audio/video board and go from there. Hoping it really is just power supply related caps.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 20:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve been mad busy lately and haven’t had a chance to get into it but I will soon and while it may take a while the 99 will run again, even if I have to buy a broken 704 for parts. This isn’t the first time it’s been down.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-99] Not powering on
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 09:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Today I decided that I had made enough progress with my arcade cabinet project to take a deep dive into why the 99 wasn’t powering on. I got a Fluke 115 for Xmas too so I’m honestly looking for things to use it on.

I took the cover off again and checked the fuse, it was good. I did a quick check of the resistors near the brown part of the PCB, they all seem great. I decided to do some powered-up checks. When I plugged the machine in for the first time since I took it apart months ago to fetch the LD stuck inside...I noticed the Standby light was on...I hit Power and sure enough it’s fully alive, functional, and verified flawless picture by watching CAV Criterion Robin Hood, Mr Nice Guy, and the first disc of Tokyo Olympiad over s-video in my 19” Toshiba. Perfect. Seriously. A flawless image. The only issue is of course grip ring slippage and also sometimes the clamper “pops” a few seconds after the disc is ejected. Long time issues...no sign of power problems at all.

So I did notice that one of the larger caps on the power section, one that had some hot glue in place to keep it from wobbling, had somehow broke its hot glue. I’m going to re-fix that and clean the grip ring and start using it again. I can’t diagnose a fully functioning player. :)

The most watched movie of 2020 on this player was easily 2001: A Space Odyssey since it is my kid’s current favorite movie. The humor of having to put this unit back into service and wait for it to fail is not lost on me. I just hope I don’t get killed when the tether on my space suit faults while hauling it back upstairs.

If anyone has any ideas on what components are most likely to intermittently fail, maybe I can look closer at those. Or, if anyone just wants to sell me a known-good CLD-99 power section I’d probably go for that too.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 21:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I really need a better multimeter than the cheap one I use. I might just end up getting a bench unit if I can find a used one for a good price- that way I won't constantly be looking for where I put it :lol:.

signofzeta wrote:
So I did notice that one of the larger caps on the power section, one that had some hot glue in place to keep it from wobbling, had somehow broke its hot glue.

I'd take a look and see if swelling caused it to break or if it was just heat over time. I usually remove all that anyway if it comes off easy.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 00:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you have trouble getting the red standby light replace the small cap on the primary side C14. Then on the secondary side replace the large filtering cap C20 thru C23 to ensure the output supply levels are filtered properly.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 02:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

krbahr wrote:
If you have trouble getting the red standby light replace the small cap on the primary side C14. Then on the secondary side replace the large filtering cap C20 thru C23 to ensure the output supply levels are filtered properly.

HAL says I should put it back into service and wait for it to fail. I’m going to take his advice since no 9000 series computer has ever made a mistake. When human error does eventually show itself I’ll check in those exact areas, thanks!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 02:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

cplusplus wrote:
I really need a better multimeter than the cheap one I use. I might just end up getting a bench unit if I can find a used one for a good price- that way I won't constantly be looking for where I put it :lol:.

signofzeta wrote:
So I did notice that one of the larger caps on the power section, one that had some hot glue in place to keep it from wobbling, had somehow broke its hot glue.

I'd take a look and see if swelling caused it to break or if it was just heat over time. I usually remove all that anyway if it comes off easy.

Twenty years ago I bought a Craftsman meter for $40. I planned on upgrading to a Fluke 87 but the the Sears one, frankly, did everything.

Recently I used too much contact cleaner on the Sears meter and it glued the plastic together at the sockets. It still works, until the leads wear out, but I can’t measure amps because I can’t switch sockets. :(

So Fluke now has a series of budget (well under half the price of an 87) meters called 114, 115, 117 etc. The 115 is the most useful for general technical stuff. It lacks temp (don’t need it) and LowZ (don’t need it). It also, hilariously, does not show milliamps. This is clearly value engineering and possibly a deal breaker but I rarely need to measure milliamps so for me it’s fine. When you hit the range button it flips between 6 and 60 with no 600 available...only in amps. Hilarious.

The case is as solid as anything made of plastic ever could be. It’s way smaller than an 87 so easier to use with one hand. The display is typical Fluke, with the “analog meter” graphic thing at the bottom and when measuring anything it settles on a number very quickly compared to cheaper meters. The backlight is very good. Auto power off and auto light off can both be disabled so you can set the thing up in MinMax mode outside hooked to your car and watch it through the snow with binoculars until the battery in the meter goes dead. This is actually a big deal, IMO, since stuff powering itself down in the middle of a diagnosis is BUL**HIT and it has screwed me more than once.

It’s a joy to use and I actually ended up with two of them! I’ll have one at work and one for home.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 04:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
It’s a joy to use and I actually ended up with two of them! I’ll have one at work and one for home.

The Fluke stuff holds its value pretty well too. I've been on the look out for a used one locally, but even those are expensive.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 08:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was considering getting a Thsinde TRMS 6000 voltmeter because my current one can't measure frequency. Reviews are pretty decent and it's cheap ....

https://www.amazon.com/Ranging-Digital- ... 7793753229

However, I found that I didn't need it at the moment since the problem I wanted to use it on appeared to resolve itself.

In any case, my 3D Plasma TV broke down two weeks ago and now I'm working on fixing it and I ended needing this to make the job easier.....

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Tweezer ... ljaz10cnVl

A tweezer soldering iron to make removal and installation of surface mount components a bit easier. Can't wait to use it this weekend. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 16:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
my current one can't measure frequency.

I've also been on the lookout for a dedicated frequency counter. My DSO can ballpark frequency, but I need something much more precise because I think at least twice now I have gotten players where someone turned the VR for color subcarrier frequency :thumbdown:

ldfan wrote:
A tweezer soldering iron to make removal and installation of surface mount components a bit easier

Didn't know these existed!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 19:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The Fluke 115 can measure freq (by current or voltage). It’s accurate to two decimals so if you plug it into a US power outlet you will see 60.00 Hz. Beyond that you’d need something else. It measures well beyond audio rates to 50kHz.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 19:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The other day I again unplugged my 99 because of a storm and it is now dead again. I will check the stuff. If it stays dead long enough to take it apart I will check the things suggested in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next