It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:43

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: That Sherlock Holmes thing Julien was on about...
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 15:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The good folk at TMS have released all of the dubbed episodes on YouTube! If you are outside of the USA you will need to use a VPN to watch the episodes.

It looks great! The art style I think looks a bit like Willy Fogg (one of my all-time favourites) or Dogtanian (D'Artacan as I remember it). I wish these were subbed, I prefer to watch my content as God intended (except for the Streamline dub of Akira :mrgreen: )

Here's the fillums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nymyqJfOY1Y

That's episode 1 above. The playlist for all 26 episodes is here:

The Sherlock Holmes yoke Julien was on about... Playlist

Have a look at the other stuff there. There is all sorts. Virtua Fighter. Lupin! and so on. Some good stuff for middle-aged anime fans, young people who want to know what real Japanese animation looks like, and people who are nearly dead. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: That Sherlock Holmes thing Julien was on about...
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 20:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Thanks for linking this. I have the LD box but this is a lot easier to share. This show was originally dubbed back in the 80s but it’s always sorta hard to find.

Btw, historically the stand out episode has been The White Cliffs of Dover (EP10). Miyazaki was leaning hard into his love for early postal flights in this one. If you get the LD box it has the storyboards for the whole episode in a separate book. A real book, not 12x12 and 8 pages, but like a paperback. The character of Ms Hudson has been made...quite a bit more interesting than in the OG stories.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 21:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The quality isn't the best due to compression but it's great to see anyway, and for free!

I usually cannot stand dubbing but this show really gives me nostalgia with the Willy Fogg vibe. I'd lay money on the masters for this series being lost though alas.

That LD box sounds fantastic. Maybe one to import another day for sure.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 21:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sort of happy this is on DVD, now something else I want to buy but don't really need.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 21:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

IIRC is expensive on US DVD, but you do get the dub.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2020, 23:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah the DVDs are pretty expensive, or not very cheap, seems like they are around 15-30 each.
But in all reality I'm sure that's around the original price when new, so they kept their new value more than other DVDs.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 08:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Discotek re-released the whole series a year or two ago, and it's still available. We also got selective episodes on VHS in the early 1990's.
https://www.animecornerstore.com/sherlockhound.html

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 10:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Sort of happy this is on DVD, now something else I want to buy but don't really need.

tweeg wrote:
Discotek re-released the whole series a year or two ago, and it's still available. We also got selective episodes on VHS in the early 1990's.
https://www.animecornerstore.com/sherlockhound.html

Subbed? Excellent! I'll have to track that down. Watched episode 1 yesterday and it seems really familiar, like I'd seen it years ago. The dubbing just reminds me so much of Dogtanian, Willy Fogg, Mysterious Cities of Gold etc. A lot of those I think were arranged by BRB Spain in the very early 1980's. Maybe the same voice actors were hired for all of these shows?

OT: Incidentally, Willy Fogg originally aired in 1983 but was released in Japan much later as アニメ80日間世界一周 in 1987. Unusual because you'd have thought it would have received a Japanese dub much earlier as the show was a big hit for BRB Spain. Same with Dogtanian etc.

These are on DVD too for some time now. Doubtful you'll get anything better at this stage. BRB Spain have very kindly put the episodes on YouTube though for free in several languages! :wave: :thumbup:

English dub is here:

The legendary Spanish original audio track is here:

Lots of other language tracks are available too. French, Italian, Russian etc. No Japanese tracks that I can see. They also have:

Dogtanian! Here's the opening credits in all the languages they recorded the show in:

Willy Fogg 2!!!! :shock: (nowhere near as good as the original of course)

David The Gnome (good show but never one of my favourites, though if I remember correctly didn't Tom Bosley (utter legend) do the voice of David?):

If you check out the BRB International channel, all of the playlists and language channels are available there for you. Knock yourselves out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHQApARXBBn54pz3IczojVA

One thing to add, the only show I couldn't find there was the Once Upon A Time... shows. I don't think BRB Spain were responsible for them though. IIRC Once Upon A Time... was a Japan/France co-production? One Upon A Time... Life was my favourite, followed by Once Upon A Time... Space. I think they did Once Upon A Time... Man, and Ulysees 31 too?

Ulysees 31 was (and I cannot believe this) apparently never a hit in the USA? So for the American folks on this forum, this video may help. :thumbup:

EDIT: It seems Willy Fogg is going to be remade in a feature length film coming in 2021!

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/around-the-world-with-willy-fogg-is-becoming-a-feature-film/

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 13:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson - thanks for your posts & the detail you go into.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 13:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
teddanson - thanks for your posts & the detail you go into.

Cheers :thumbup:

No worries, I hope my inane drivel helps people find things they may (or may not) be looking for! IRL I'm like Captain Kirk from Star Trek XII So Very Tired. I talk (constantly) but nobody listens. :oops: :lol:

Incidentally, I appear to have found the Japanese dub opening to Willy Fogg. To say it's completely different in terms of theme music, is a complete understatement! :shock:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 16:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Cities of Gold went straight to Nickelodeon, Saturdays, in the US. Personally, I was a massive massive fan and the same friends I had that liked Robotech thought it was great too.

Zero promotion, advertisement, toys, sticker books, or anything else. You had to run across it on the dial. When they made a WiiU game for it I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It wasn’t ever re-run AFAIK so if you’re an American under 40 you’ve probably never seen it.

And yes you probably do recognize the voice actors from other projects.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 02:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'd personally never heard of "Ulysseys 31" nor "Cities of Gold" until seeing discussions about them popup in the early 2000s. I was a TV Junky from the time I could use a TV remote at around 3 or so years of age onward, but I don't believe either of those shows aired in my broadcasting area, or if they did it must has been sometime before mid-1980s. I remember very well Robotech and other shows of that period, but those two were unknown to me.

If they were relegated as cable network fare then that would explain things as cable television wasn't even available in my area until the mid-1990s, and we didn't get it until 1998.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 03:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tweeg wrote:
I'd personally never heard of "Ulysseys 31" nor "Cities of Gold" until seeing discussions about them popup in the early 2000s.

They were HUGE hits in France. Ulysses 31 more for boys, Cities of Gold for everyone.

Cities of Gold animation cells sell for US$2,000 a piece in Japan now... :-/

Yep, that's the price of a used HLD-X0.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v454614924

Attachment:
kuroageha009-img599x337-145944870103vhh329443.jpg
kuroageha009-img599x337-145944870103vhh329443.jpg [ 18.74 KiB | Viewed 3777 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 04:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tweeg wrote:
I'd personally never heard of "Ulysseys 31" nor "Cities of Gold" until seeing discussions about them popup in the early 2000s. I was a TV Junky from the time I could use a TV remote at around 3 or so years of age onward, but I don't believe either of those shows aired in my broadcasting area, or if they did it must has been sometime before mid-1980s. I remember very well Robotech and other shows of that period, but those two were unknown to me.

If they were relegated as cable network fare then that would explain things as cable television wasn't even available in my area until the mid-1990s, and we didn't get it until 1998.

In the US, Ulysses 31 was part of an attempt to get Sunday Morning Cartoons going as a thing. In the mid 80s there were just a crap load of cartoons, DIC projects, toy ad shows and occasionally anime so they were trying to spread beyond the normal Saturdays. IIRC this was teamed up with Popples (those stuffed animals you could turn inside out) and sold directly to syndication. So it would have been on a UHF station most likely, some place looking for content by the pound. I’m not sure if it aired to completion in that format in my area. It may have been repacked elsewhere.

Cities of Gold was a part of Nick’s Saturday morning although they moved it around and ran it through a few times before they stopped showing it. They also showed Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea, aka: Les Mondes Engloutis, which I’m sure others here know. I wasn’t a huge fan of that show back in the day but when it showed up on YouTube in French I really got into it.

I don’t remember Star Blazers airing in my area and that’s the main one I missed from my conscious years. I remember Dragon Warrior, Tranzor Z, Voltron, Robotech, Superbook/Flying House, Battle of the Planets, G Force (re-dub of Battle of the Planets), Little Koala and Friends (aka: Koala Koki, I’m interested in anything related to this show and the show itself, PM me), Fairy Tale Theater, Unico 2, Warriors of the Wind, Sherlock Hound, and then on VHS there was a ton more. There was actually a crapload of anime on TV and in rental places even in like 1984. The “anime invasion” of the 90s was mostly just selling the stuff and not deliberately obscuring its origin for the first time.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 14:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I only ever knew about Ulysses 31 due to POPY.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 15:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:

Cities of Gold animation cells sell for US$2,000 a piece in Japan now... :-/
Julien

:shock:

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 16:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Asking and selling are two different things.
This is an asking price, until its sold its not the market.

If they do actually sell for that price there is and must be a reason.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2020, 19:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t see that as a particularly crazy price for a cel. It’s on the high end for a TV series but it’s probably a lot harder to find a cel like that one than it is to find a Harlock or Yamato.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2020, 16:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Julien may well recognise this show. This was one of my all-time favourites as a young pup. The way it dealt with death too, no holds barred.

The Blu Ray is OOP now I think, so it's surprising Jeff has any stock. It's between €50 and €250 in most outlets now. Jeff has it for a not too shabby €29.99.

Bought it today. All 26 episodes, remastered in glorious HD and with both the original French audio and also the English dubbed audio both in DTS-HD 2.0.

Le potage sportif!! :D

https://www.amazon.fr/%C3%A9tait-une-fo ... 071NMMKN4/

EDIT: Once Upon A Time... Man is also on Blu. I don't see. Once Upon A Time...The Explorers or. Once Upon A Time ...Space on Blu. If you are looking for any of these I would suggest buying now rather than being disappointed later. They don't make cartoons like this any more.

EDIT: Another titbit of information too with regards Dogtanian. Did you know the music including the famous theme song was written by Guido and Maurizio de Angelis?

They wrote all the music for Willy Fogg, Dogtanian, the Italian dubs of Doreamon, Ashita no Joe, Galaxy Express 999999999999999999999 and more.

You may remember them too from their excellent film scores. They did the incredible, and ultra violent Franco Nero crime masterpiece Street Law. Also the brilliant Lee Majors hyperblockbuster Killer Fish (great film, get it watched).

Though they also went under the name Oliver Onions where they wrote arguably their best piece. A smash hit across Europe.

The absolutely BIBLICAL....Dune Buggy from the Terence Hill and the late Bud Spencer smash hit, Watch Out We're Mad. :thumbup:

Last edited by teddanson on 14 Oct 2020, 19:08, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2020, 19:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Julien may well recognise this show. This was one of my all-time favourites as a young pup. The way it dealt with death too, no holds barred.

The Blu Ray is OOP now I think, so it's surprising Jeff has any stock. It's between €50 and €250 in most outlets now. Jeff has it for a not too shabby €29.99.

Bought it today. All 26 episodes, remastered in glorious HD and with both the original French audio and also the English dubbed audio both in DTS-HD 2.0.

Le potage sportif!! :D

https://www.amazon.fr/%C3%A9tait-une-fo ... 071NMMKN4/

Because of how unreliable amazon listings tend to be when it comes to specs (and I really want it with subtitles!), I still haven't bought any of these, and I especially want the second series because it's the only one that was never fully translated into Finnish but the little I did see may have played an early role in my love for science fiction.

Page 1 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next