It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:03

Page 46 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2020, 00:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I always thought of Space Cobra like Lupin in space but with a we can remember it for you wholesale angle.

The nice part is that I feel its broken up into 2 parts with one being the 3 sisters, Jane etc. and then it goes into the rest which I could live without.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2020, 04:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s very like Lupin in space, except nobody but Cobra lives in the end, no real partners. Maybe the robot lady? But she barely has any lines. Both were very MAD inspired. That comes through more in the manga than the anime.

I like this type of story a lot. It’s a similar setting to Caravan Kid or other things where space travel is trivial and life is just constant anarchy and chaos and anything you could possibly imagine could happen at any time. Cobra is a somewhat bleak version. Beebop is closer to what I prefer.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2020, 13:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Lupin in space is a fairly solid analogy from what I've seen so far.

signofzeta wrote:
The animation of the TV series is very good and I do like Cobra but it’s rather thin. Comparing it to Macross is like...I don’t know. Cobra is basically Voltron with t**s. You get the same thing you want over and over and over again. You simply cannot tell the female sidekicks apart, they always die, everyone does, Cobra always lives. It’s very style over substance.

Yeah it's fun but Cobra is like a Seijun Suzuki movie whereas Macross is closer to Kurosawa.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2020, 14:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I always feel Macross is more of a soap opera almost in the realm of GE999 but with older characters.

Anyway watched 4 episodes so far of DT Eightron.
Picked up GTO Great Teacher Onizuka to watch on DVD rather than stream with ads and also picked up Crusher Joe on DVD.
Haven't seen that in years and Gypsy posted about it so I thought I would give it another try and should also have it in the collection anyway.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2020, 15:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

GE999 definitely has some substance about life there as well.

GTO is funny, I haven't seen it in many years. I have the old Tokyopop sets. Discotek set is probably better but it would be time/effort to swap, so meh.

Crusher Joe is incredible on BD. Not sure when exactly the DVD release was but it's probably pretty good given the quality of the BD.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2020, 16:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Crusher Joe the Movie looks SO GOOD on any format I can’t even imagine a good Bluray of it. Peak anime, at least from the animation perspective.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2020, 16:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had the Japanese LD years ago and sold it, don't remember caring too much about it then, but I took the risk to try it again :lol:

GTO is funny, I got to the 14th epi on streaming but found a cheap bootleg DVD on the bay, so I decided for 11 bucks with free shipping I can
watch and enjoy, just let it run on the player LOL.
It does seem to be a rip off what is online with better PQ, same English dub and subs so I'm happy.

For some reason I have a discotek boycot in my mind so I picked up the early DVD with both OVAs.
But I do own some Discos and will buy again in the future but if I can I will skip.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 02:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Can't remember all the anime I've been watching but I'll post some that I can remember.

GTO up to around episode 28 or around that.

Crusher Joe the movie and both OVAs, the movie was OK but its sort of missing something to me.

Patalliro the stardust project, really need to get more of the series, this film is WACKY even my wife said its not like the regular anime I watch.

Angel's Egg, wow took a long time to get this one but its pretty amazing, need to watch it again. Telling my wife how we will never have conceptual
stuff like this in anime or general film for people to just watch and enjoy something with an odd story or no story.

Zillon JJ and Ricks, knew this was going to be a compilation but thought there would be a little more to it, but now I have all the
Zillion discs on LD

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 17:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Patalliro the stardust project, really need to get more of the series, this film is WACKY even my wife said its not like the regular anime I watch.

Oh boy, the tv series seems very obscure. Maybe a Japanese DVD release? Zero US releases that I can see. Might be hard to even find subs for it.

rein-o wrote:
Angel's Egg, wow took a long time to get this one but its pretty amazing, need to watch it again. Telling my wife how we will never have conceptual
stuff like this in anime or general film for people to just watch and enjoy something with an odd story or no story.

Yeah, it's one of the best honestly. A US BD would be nice, obviously I can just import from Japan, but a US release would be so much cheaper. Until then, the LD is really nice.

I need to get back to watching some anime, been playing games more lately.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 18:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I watched Angel’s Egg in HD on YT. There is SO much detail in that movie you can’t see on the LD. It really was a first rate production. I’ve always loved it, so clearly LD is good enough, but I’d really like a BR of it. It’s amazing to think that, since this was an OVA, almost nobody saw the full detail in this movie until it was decades old.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 18:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, I watched it on my older free 26" TV, I can totally imagine the lost details on Angel's Egg.
Saw some bootleg DVDs and BRs on ebay but couldn't justify it so opted for the LD and will enjoy.

There is a 2 part box of Patalliro on DVD from Japan but I don't know if the Stardust Project is in the box and the only one I could find on ebay
was from Japan and asking over 200 per part, so thats out of my range.
I took the risk as I saw the LD on ebay pre pandemic that sold for 50 or more and was curious about it, don't know if I would have bought it knowing
there was a DVD as they can port easily for the US market but then again it may never happen as it may not be something we can watch
like the one series I saw Hyper Power Robot Galatt: Memorial Box [BELL-1075]
from what I've read they may not release this in the US due to some of the characters behavior, and wonder if that may be a case for Patalliro??

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 09:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I imported the japanese Blu of Angel's Egg when it came out a couple years ago, really good release
but bare-bone, the only extra is a trailer.

There are subtitles for the Patalliro movie and the "new" series, the old series has been in the process
of getting fansubbed since 10 years or so, currently at episode 44. And yes, this is really weird stuff :)

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 18:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just watched Take the X Train last night, totally not what I expected, I know its on YT but I wanted to wait and see the LD.
Very odd, very esp ghost train odd.
Been trying to get it for many many years and I'm happy I have it, not next week I'm sure it will be released directly from LD
by discotek......

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 21:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Over the last two nights I watched Gunbuster: Box Set (1988) [BEAL-623] again. This show is just amazing, I never get tired of it.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 00:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Last night it was Ihatob Illusion: Kenji No Haru (Kenji's Spring) [BELL-1002].

This is a good movie. However...I remember when all this digital compositing tech was new for Japan and I saw this soon after it hit LD. It seemed cheap and high end at once. Now it’s mostly just cheap. Computers suck. As I said though, this is a good movie overall.

My 99 is still down so I’ve been watching things on a V2200. Now bad LDs look bad again and good ones look good. This one looks good, very good. An all digital production, you’d except it. Color is deep and noise surprisingly low.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 00:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Over the last two nights I watched Gunbuster: Box Set (1988) [BEAL-623] again. This show is just amazing, I never get tired of it.

That's been on my watch list for literally decades. Every time I see mention of it, it is always a positive comment. I'll get round to watching it some day!

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 01:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

From a distance it looks like just another 80s OVA but it’s not Dangaioh or Detonator Organ. It’s a cheesecake scifi parody of a tennis anime...but also mid century classic hard scifi to the core with amazing design work everywhere. Blink and you’ll miss: space dolphins, a black hole bomb, space ships being built in orbit...with parts on plastic runners, hella time dilation, 21st century Soviets, barely legal Vangelis paraphrasing.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 01:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

That's been on my watch list for literally decades. Every time I see mention of it, it is always a positive comment. I'll get round to watching it some day!

I owned it years ago and just didn't think much of it so I'll have to either buy this again to see or try watching on YT to see if its
worth it again.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 17:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
From a distance it looks like just another 80s OVA but it’s not Dangaioh or Detonator Organ. It’s a cheesecake scifi parody of a tennis anime...but also mid century classic hard scifi to the core with amazing design work everywhere. Blink and you’ll miss: space dolphins, a black hole bomb, space ships being built in orbit...with parts on plastic runners, hella time dilation, 21st century Soviets, barely legal Vangelis paraphrasing.

sound like the sort of thing i'd likely enjoy, perhaps even something i might even come to hold up there in a similar regard to BGC 1987/1990.

i'll have to see to squeezing the series somewhere into my short list...

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2020, 21:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I highly recommend you guys avoid the compilation movie until after you’ve seen the entire six episode OVA. The movie is really more of an HD showcase than a decent version of the story. They cut out a crapload.

Page 46 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 64  Next