It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Denon/Pioneer player
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2020, 00:48 
First post
First post

Anyone knows what Pioneer model the Denon La-2050 is?

Post subject: Re: Denon/Pioneer player
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2020, 16:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My guess is a CLD-S201...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 19:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It does share the same chassis of the 201 but the Denon is actually a closer cousin to the Pioneer, CLD-S350.

Here is a link to an eBay auction with many pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224102943881

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 19:40 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

ldfan wrote:
It does share the same chassis of the 201 but the Denon is actually a closer cousin to the Pioneer, CLD-S350.

Here is a link to an eBay auction with many pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224102943881

do you know what is to the right of the control in and out ports? it looks like something you can swivel or something.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 19:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It has a jog dial on the front.

This is an OK player except for the relatively paper thin chassis that gets looser with age. The vibration is visible in the picture and also very audible, especially for CAV discs. It was at one time the crappiest player Pioneer ever made but then they dropped the price another $100 soon after and made the 104.

The 201 is the most low end but there are other versions of the same deck with names I forget. They have better remotes or crappy s-vid added.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 20:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

xtempo wrote:
do you know what is to the right of the control in and out ports? it looks like something you can swivel or something.

That is the voltage selector switch for using this player in different countries. This could be an S350 sold on military PX’s.

signofzeta wrote:
The 201 is the most low end but there are other versions of the same deck with names I forget. They have better remotes or crappy s-vid added.

In this case, Pioneer / Denon also threw in the optical audio output so the player can be useful for playing back DTS titles. None of these players ever had AC3-RF out since it was still too early. The Pioneer CLD-S304 I believe was one of the few cheap single side players that had AC3-RF out but they dropped the optical output (same thing they did w/ the 504’s).

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 23:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m wondering if anyone ever actually watched a DTS title back in the day on a crap deck like this. That would truly be putting the cart before the horse unless you were actually blind. The decoder alone would cost more than the deck and the S201 with three or four years on it looks barely better than VHS.

Upon release there were no DTS discs, the TOSLINK was simply seen as a lossless connection for conventional audio in stereo/surround. It seemed important at the time but later in life through much experimentation I’ve learned it’s better for making Minidisc copies than it is for anything else.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 04:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m wondering if anyone ever actually watched a DTS title back in the day on a crap deck like this. That would truly be putting the cart before the horse unless you were actually blind. The decoder alone would cost more than the deck and the S201 with three or four years on it looks barely better than VHS.

Back in the day, I just kept w/ my modified CLD-3030 and SDP-EP9ES for about 10 years as my mainstay system so it was just Dolby Digital, PCM or analog. I never considered even getting DTS discs of any kind until I finally updated my AV Receiver and then I went on a binge to get DTS LD's and CD's into my collection.

So with that said, I'm sure the early DTS adopters probably all had high end players to justify even having an expensive (at the time) AV Receiver that had DTS built in.

signofzeta wrote:
Upon release there were no DTS discs, the TOSLINK was simply seen as a lossless connection for conventional audio in stereo/surround. It seemed important at the time but later in life through much experimentation I’ve learned it’s better for making Minidisc copies than it is for anything else.

I did use my optical output from my player mainly for Pro-Logic decoding in the EP9. It definitely was better than continuing to use the analog outs of my player to an even more dated Pro-Logic processor in my Pioneer VSX-9700S (no true bass management and no sub woofer output). However, I would switch back and forth between the EP9 and 9700 for music in stereo mode as I actually liked the sound much better on the 3030's DA converters (just sounded a tad warmer for my taste). So yeah, I agree with you that the toslink had limited use and didn't sound exceptionally better than using analog connections.

Of course, now w/ my updated AV Receiver w/ DTS decoding, the toslink on my LD player finally gets fully utilized for something bigger than just PCM stereo.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020, 11:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
This is an OK player except for the relatively paper thin chassis that gets looser with age. The vibration is visible in the picture and also very audible, especially for CAV discs. It was at one time the crappiest player Pioneer ever made but then they dropped the price another $100 soon after and made the 104.

For clarity's sake: were you referring to the CLD-S350 or the Denon LA-2050 here? Or... is that basically a meaningless distinction due to the degree of similarity? I'm reading it as the S350 but despite the reference to Pioneer making it, I guess you could equally be referring to the Denon since I *think* they were simply Pioneer manufactured units rebranded.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 00:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah most Denon's were Pioneers.

Also for what it is worth, I would choose a CLD-S201 based player over a CLD-S104 based player any day.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 01:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xandermac05 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

For clarity's sake: were you referring to the CLD-S350 or the Denon LA-2050 here? Or... is that basically a meaningless distinction due to the degree of similarity? I'm reading it as the S350 but despite the reference to Pioneer making it, I guess you could equally be referring to the Denon since I *think* they were simply Pioneer manufactured units rebranded.

Yes. They are all the same deck except for some ports and maybe voltage selector. If you have one of the Pioneer versions you’ll see that they all have the same manual.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 08:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
Yes. They are all the same deck except for some ports and maybe voltage selector. If you have one of the Pioneer versions you’ll see that they all have the same manual.

Ah. Aye, as far as I can tell...

CLD-1090 - fairly basic but probably reasonably solid player, I guess?
CLD-1190 - more or less same but with more outputs and voltage select for Asian markets
CLD-2090 - 2-sided playback version of 1090
CLD-1750 - similar to 1090 but with PAL/NTSC (PALB?) board
CLD-S201 - similar to 1090 but with dedicated CD tray, possibly lower build quality, and "PULSEFLOW" DAC branding (but previous ones still have "1-bit DLC")
CLD-S250 - S201 with voltage select for Asia
CLD-S350 - S250 with more outputs and better remote (seems a lot like 1190 but with CD drawer and PULSEFLOW badge, albeit possibly in a somewhat less solid chassis)

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 10:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sorry to hijack but what is PULSEFLOW?
A cheap pioneer karaoke unit i owned had that emblazoned on the front cover
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 11:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

jakeheke wrote:
Sorry to hijack but what is PULSEFLOW?
A cheap pioneer karaoke unit i owned had that emblazoned on the front cover
I'm sure someone more qualified will respond but what I read seemed to indicate that it was a rebranding of Pioneer's audio DAC tech, previously printed on units as "1-BIT DLC" (Direct Linear Conversion), which they used for a while when they shifted from ladder DACs to PWMs: https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-pulseflow-technology-in-some-pioneer-cd-players.620780/#post-8225105. I take it they must've ditched it after a while because I have a CLD-2950 from after the Pulseflow days which just says "1-BIT DLC" again, no mention of Pulseflow (unless perhaps they started only including it in pricier models or something). Further up that same thread, somebody talks about it being related to oversampling being used in order to try to noise-shape the undesirable stuff away into higher frequencies than they otherwise would be.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 15:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

xandermac05 wrote:
CLD-1090 - fairly basic but probably reasonably solid player, I guess?
CLD-1190 - more or less same but with more outputs and voltage select for Asian markets
CLD-2090 - 2-sided playback version of 1090
CLD-1750 - similar to 1090 but with PAL/NTSC (PALB?) board
CLD-S201 - similar to 1090 but with dedicated CD tray, possibly lower build quality, and "PULSEFLOW" DAC branding (but previous ones still have "1-bit DLC")
CLD-S250 - S201 with voltage select for Asia
CLD-S350 - S250 with more outputs and better remote (seems a lot like 1190 but with CD drawer and PULSEFLOW badge, albeit possibly in a somewhat less solid chassis)

Out of all of these, the CLD-S201, CLD-S250, and CLD-350 would be the least problematic.
The CLD-1090, CLD-1190, and CLD-1750 have the white rail that is almost always cracked. Most of the time it does not impede playback.
CLD-2090 reintroduced the transport screw that is always missing, the loading tends to be much more problematic and I think it can also have a corrosive super capacitor.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]