It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 22:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lumagen XS-3D scaler
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 19:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have three Lumagen XS-3D scalers in clean new like condition complete with all accessories.
I have been happy with this scaler from Lumagen

I'm not a whiz kid when it comes to calibrating these scalers as I find the instructions manual very complicated to read.
As an amateur I have calibrated my scalers where I find settings enjoyable on picture quality.

One thing that annoys me very much on my TV is the random clouding in night time scenes.
When playing random laserdiscs, movies showing dark night time scenes I can see smear like clouding on random places on my tv-screen.
This phenomenon with clouding smear, is it coming from the technology from my TV or is the smear coming from the scaler?
It's very annoying when I can't get rid of the smear getting a perfectly clean picture.

I have connected my laserdisc players with High Performance Quality S-video cables from British company QED and Ixos to my Lumagen XS-3D.
Between Lumagen XS-3D to my TV I connected a HQ Chord HDMI cable.

Laserdisc player is CLD-R7G
TV is a Grundig Full HD made in Turkey :wtf: although the company was German in the good old days.

I have also connected my LD player through the 2nd S-video output direct to TV without using the XS-3D only to compare picture quality between both set ups with my scaler or not using the scaler.
Here is the conclusion:
Watching laserdiscs without a scaler on a flatscreen Full HD TV or UHD TV will give some weird skin tones on characters in the movie.
Skin tones tends to turn brownish and very dark compared to using a good CRT TV showing perfect picture quality.
I don't recommend watching laserdisc movies without a scaler with a modern flatscreen TV.

Connecting analogue electronics like an LD-player to modern digital electronics like flatscreen TV's without any enhancement electronic gadget in between is not to be recommended.
Colors and details will look faded and washed out! :thumbdown:

Using a scaler is a compromise to improve picture quality.
Although a scaler might cause other issues when in use?
I don't know?

What does the experts say?

Post subject: Re: Lumagen XS-3D scaler
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 19:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I used to own an R7G and outputting S-video via my Lumagen Radiance 2144 then HDMI to a Sony VPL VW500 4K SRXD projector it always looked fabulous. Have you checked that there isn't any onboard processing such as digital NR and any other so called picture improvement circuitry on your TV that is active and could be causing the issues you describe?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 19:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hey.

How did you connect your R7G to your 2144 Lumagen scaler, that scaler don't have any analogue inputs does it?

I have turned OFF the digital enhancement on the TV when I watch LD.
Using DNR from TV and the settings from the scaler will probably cause some weird picture quality.
I try to avoid this

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 20:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noogie-man wrote:
Hey.

How did you connect your R7G to your 2144 Lumagen scaler, that scaler don't have any analogue inputs does it?

I have turned OFF the digital enhancement on the TV when I watch LD.
Using DNR from TV and the settings from the scaler will probably cause some weird picture quality.
I try to avoid this

No the 2144 does have a full complement of analogue inputs plus a superb comb filter, its the 2124 that is digital only and obviously lacks the filter. How do other SD formats e.g. DVD look on your Grundig TV?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 21:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I only use the laserdisc player through my Lumagen nothing else.
I don't play DVD's through the XS-3D as the picture quality is the bomb on my Grundig TV! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Another question?
When I was shopping for the XS-3D.
I saw there is the standard `XS-3D scaler and the XS-3D+ scaler which is a beefed up version?

The XS-3D which I have, does it have a 2D or 3D combfilter as it's called the XS-3D?
Never got to know what is correct info for my scaler?

Last edited by noogie-man on 10 Nov 2020, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 22:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noogie-man wrote:
I only use the laserdisc player through my Lumagen nothing else.
I don't play DVD's through the XS-3D as the picture quality is the bomb on my Grundig TV! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Another question?
When I was shopping for the XS-3D.
I also saw the cheaper standard version scaler XS without the 3D option.

Obviously I have a 3D function on my player where the lower grade scaler lacks this feature?
Is there anything else that differs between models?

The XS-3D which I have, does it have a 2D or 3D combfilter as it's called the XS-3D?
Never got to know what is correct info for my scaler?

Ah I've no experience with the earlier Lumagen kit I'm afraid as I came straight from using a DVDO VP50 when I got the 2144 so can't advise which type is fitted in the XS-3D although rather certain it won't match that employed in the 2144. Then again this shouldn't be a problem in your case if you are using the R7Gs own excellent onboard filter which is likely better than the Lumagens.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 23:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Comb filter on CLD-R7G is always enabled ON if player is connected through S-video?

I was browsing Lumagen website, there is no product info on what combfilter is on the XS-3D?
It only says:
Supports complete processing of 2D or 3D sources

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 00:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

noogie-man wrote:
Comb filter on CLD-R7G is always enabled ON if player is connected through S-video?

I was browsing Lumagen website, there is no product info on what combfilter is on the XS-3D?
It only says:

Yes, but you need to adjust for your monitor, projector TV etc.

If you use the composite yellow video you won't have the built in comb filter.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 13:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
noogie-man wrote:

It only says:

you mean I should access menu on the R7G or the TV and adjust what settings?

I have my R7G hooked up through S-video

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 15:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noogie-man wrote:
rein-o wrote:
noogie-man wrote:

It only says:

you mean I should access menu on the R7G or the TV and adjust what settings?

I have my R7G hooked up through S-video

If you haven't tried already you can certainly experiment with the adjustments that are available in the R7Gs onscreen menu. From memory you can adjust the comb filtering strength, plus there's digital noise reduction for both chrominance and luminance and I think sharpness I seem to recall the default settings are midway for most of these. You could begin by setting all to the off position then whilst viewing some material you know well start to increase the comb filter strength to see its effect - you'll probably end up with it at midway or just above, then adjust the chroma setting if noise bothers you to the position that suits you best followed by luminance which I would prefer to leave off and likewise the sharpness control. Just bear in mind though when you save these settings to any memory they will all be lost should you completely power off your player and they will default to the factory settings so it's best to make a note of them just in case!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 16:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You will have to adjust both the TV and the R7G to get the best picture and also the lumagen, all 3 will need to
be adjusted to get a best picture.

The more you have in the chain the more they will conflict with each other so get ready for some massive adjusting.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 17:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Regarding R7G, when not in use I always disconnect the player from outlet.
Meaning my settings will be lost or set to factory default.

Regarding my TV, I did some tweaking yesterday, turning OFF all picture enhancement.
Picture settings on A/V channel is all naturale now.

Regarding my Lumagen, I have made some tweaks before, will check this out next time I play a laserdisc and report back.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2020, 23:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Tonight I watched an LD with the new tweaks on my telly.
Previously I had all enhancement features enabled but DNR disabled, picture was soft and I saw clouding smear on the screen.
Tonight watching the LD with all enhancement features disabled, I got a more clean and crispier picture.
The Lumagen XS-3D is a great scaler providing great improvement. :thumbup:

I don't recommend watching LD without a scaler not hooked up to a flatscreen TV, colors and details will look washed out, skin tones would look brownish or orange.
Explosions and fires will look funky showing red hue.
The scaler remedies these problems :thumbup:

If you still use a CRT, this is the best sidekick for your laserdisc player.

It was a real treat watching a laserdisc movie with the Lumagen on flatscreen TV with the artificial features disabled :D

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2020, 23:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

noogie-man wrote:
Tonight I watched an LD with the new tweaks on my telly.
Previously I had all enhancement features enabled but DNR disabled, picture was soft and I saw clouding smear on the screen.
Tonight watching the LD with all enhancement features disabled, I got a more clean and crispier picture.
The Lumagen XS-3D is a great scaler providing great improvement. :thumbup:

I don't recommend watching LD without a scaler not hooked up to a flatscreen TV, colors and details will look washed out, skin tones would look brownish or orange.
Explosions and fires will look funky showing red hue.
The scaler remedies these problems :thumbup:

If you still use a CRT, this is the best sidekick for your laserdisc player.

It was a real treat watching a laserdisc movie with the Lumagen on flatscreen TV :D

Good to hear you are getting a good result now :thumbup: Although regarding you comment about flatscreen TVs, they are of course not all made equal as if you were to splash out on one of the more recent OLED models from Sony, Panasonic etc. a fantastic image is possible from LD by hooking directly into the TVs composite input without any need of an external processor, and I think you'll find that there are several members on here who will verify that.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2020, 15:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

reason I bough my Grundig is they still have S-video into the scart socket no other brands offers S-video nowadays otherwise I wouldn't have bought the TV.
I would have gone for a Panasonic or Sony.
I can't say what other brands will look like playing LD, however analog media to digital media is not always a great combination.
perhaps a scaler will help improve poor LD resolution on a digital TV which it did for me. :thumbup:

my TV is only a 32 inch Full HD 1080P, it's approx 3 years old now.
perhaps OLED or whatever they call them nowadays is even maybe better for LD without a scaler connected, I don't know?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2021, 23:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Pro calibration is not necessary for newer televisions. I recently bought a 77” Sony OLED which measured under %3 deltaE with minimal tweaks. I had the 65” Sony OLED from 2016 which also measured around %3 deltaE. Lumagen Radiance 20XX, 21XX and Pro series can bring this to under %1 deltaE but only a handful of trained eyes can see the difference. Radiance XS is an older model with 125 point CMS and limited to 1080p only. To take advantage of the CMS, you need probe(s) and a calibration software which would cost more than buying a brand new TV.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2021, 16:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Adjusting CMS?
I don't remember exactly but I think I needed to access service menu or something to tweak CMS?
But I might be wrong?

During last few days I have made some further amateur tweaks on my XS while watching LD's I must say I'm more pleased now than ever than I was yesterday although it's not a pro calibration tweak. :thumbup:

I had to adjust color red and red hue between: minus 10 to minus 15 to get a more normal skin tone on actors and movie explosions.
Before skin tones and explosions were very red and annoyingly looking :shock: :thumbdown:

It takes time to get settings in OK-mode were you're happy with colors if you don't have a proper calibration disc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]