It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:43

Page 49 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 01:14 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Black Jack the movie. I might watch my TV DVDs but anime sols only release the first half not sure where to find the rest.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 04:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
Black Jack the movie. I might watch my TV DVDs but anime sols only release the first half not sure where to find the rest.

No US release. Maybe Discotek will save it, that's the hope for all old anime at this point lol plus they did release the movie on Blu. Looks really fun btw, something I would buy if they did release it.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2020, 23:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finished KoR OAVs and movie. The movie actually does essentially wrap things up, I was wondering if it would.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2020, 00:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Started Fist of the North Star. This is going to take awhile.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2020, 02:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gypsy wrote:

Yep, first part is really good but I think I stopped around the 45th episode when it was streaming on crunchy roll for free.
Then I picked up a cheap bootleg DVD got to around the 15th episode and sold it.

I think I had posted stuff about trying to stay away from series, then I picked up gto and got into it but I'm only about half way through
trying to finish watching my LD anime I picked up and the other films I have on DVD.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2020, 07:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Yep, first part is really good

But that's the worst one! :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 02:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Let's see, this week I finished watching:

Hyouka (22 episodes)
This was a surprise series that I decided to take a chance on not knowing anything about it before hand. High school coming of age drama with slice of life and detective elements mixed in. I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of those rarities in a series where it doesn't really end, but it never really began either, so when it ends it manages to leave you feeling satisfied with the series for what it is.

When Super Natural Battles Became Common Place (12 episodes)
A high school fantasy harem comedy. It is what it is, expect nothing more and nothing less. It's only one season, but if you just want to watch a mostly silly harem comedy it fills that need.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 03:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Yep, first part is really good

But that's the worst one! :lol:

Can't remember now but just couldn't get into the second part, liked the movie and sort of feel like
some of these that I would just rather watch the film again and skip the super long series.

Only super long series I would go back to would be GE999, its just great to me.
Fist of the North Star the movie is good enough for me now.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 15:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Yep, first part is really good but I think I stopped around the 45th episode when it was streaming on crunchy roll for free.
Then I picked up a cheap bootleg DVD got to around the 15th episode and sold it.

I think I had posted stuff about trying to stay away from series, then I picked up gto and got into it but I'm only about half way through
trying to finish watching my LD anime I picked up and the other films I have on DVD.

A friend of mine that has seen it all warned me that it basically grinds to a halt at a couple points. I was wondering because the first 10 episodes or so that I've watched it has been moving fairly briskly. I knew they couldn't keep that up for 151 (!!!) episodes.

I generally prefer stuff in the 26-52 episode range. Cobra and Hanasakeru Seishounen are right in that sweet spot. I still need to finish GE999. I really enjoy it, just a lot to watch.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 16:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah it may have been that which stopped me from finishing it.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
to me Its also the same storyline just changed with older kids.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 17:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The film is great so I started watching the TV series about a year ago on VRV. Made it to around the middle of season 3 and gave up. It felt like the story had stalled.

Tried to pick it up again but I was already dead.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 18:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
I was wondering because the first 10 episodes or so that I've watched it has been moving fairly briskly.

That's because the first chapter is about 3/4 filler.

In the manga, Kenshiro fights just the four suits (Spade, Heart, etc. with Joker being an anime-only character IIRC) before squaring against Shin; villains like Jackal and Golan all show up afterwards as kind of filler villains before Rei shows up. In the anime, not only are nearly all those enemies moved before he faces Shin, rewriting them into being his underlings, they make up a whole bunch of increasingly ridiculous filler villains every episode once they run out of manga ones until he finally fights Shin.

There's still filler episodes in the other chapters, but at least they're distributed more evenly instead of slapped into one huge block so it doesn't feel like they're just prolonging the story for the hell of it.

The movie feels like it's aimed towards an audience who is already familiar with the story to fill in the gaps while it just utilizes the bare essentials of the story to string up the various fight scenes which are really the main attract; "see them on the big screen with big budget animation!" sort of thing.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 00:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
gypsy wrote:
I was wondering because the first 10 episodes or so that I've watched it has been moving fairly briskly.

That's because the first chapter is about 3/4 filler.

In the manga, Kenshiro fights just the four suits (Spade, Heart, etc. with Joker being an anime-only character IIRC) before squaring against Shin; villains like Jackal and Golan all show up afterwards as kind of filler villains before Rei shows up. In the anime, not only are nearly all those enemies moved before he faces Shin, rewriting them into being his underlings, they make up a whole bunch of increasingly ridiculous filler villains every episode once they run out of manga ones until he finally fights Shin.

There's still filler episodes in the other chapters, but at least they're distributed more evenly instead of slapped into one huge block so it doesn't feel like they're just prolonging the story for the hell of it.

The movie feels like it's aimed towards an audience who is already familiar with the story to fill in the gaps while it just utilizes the bare essentials of the story to string up the various fight scenes which are really the main attract; "see them on the big screen with big budget animation!" sort of thing.

Thanks for the info.

So far, I've seen most of the plot through the PS4 video game. I'm not sure how similar things are overall, but the general story seems to be the same.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 23:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched a great little film today called Shin Dousei Jidai Hawaiian Breeze.

Lifted from my diary if you wish to read some drivel. :thumbup:

=======================

For the life of me I've no idea how I stumbled upon Hawaiian Breeze but I'm glad I did.

It's a simple story about a couple together two years. Peter wants to start a family, his girlfiend Eri is purely focused on her career and has no interest in further busying her life. It's as straightforward as that.

It may not sound like the foundation to a groundbreaking feature film but be assured that Hawaiian Breeze is a resounding success.

I love productions that centre on one location for the entire run time. The layers of complexity that are required by them to hold enough interest, when executed right, are almost enough to make any feature a triumph in my opinion. Hawaiian Breeze focuses on the apartment Peter and Eri share, with the rouse that Peter is the house husband and a work from home illustrator too.

I found it refreshing that the male lead was the domestic, stay at home character. Hawaiian Breeze could have easily reversed this and it would probably not have had as great an impact on the rest of the story.

You'd be forgiven for falling in to a couple of easy traps as the film progresses, I certainly found myself apologising to the film as it began to take a sharp detour from processional fodder. And it is this detour that proves to be the ace up the sleeve of Hawaiian Breeze. I won't spoil it for you, lest I merely add that the conclusion is brought to a good, if an ever so slightly predictable one.

There were a couple of moments where my face almost made contact with my palm, and some pieces of dialog and Peter's actions played back today are a little questionable, but upon reflection are actually fairly brave stuff by the director.

I thoroughly enjoyed the subject matter that Hawaiian Breeze openly tackles. It's done in a fairly tasteful manner; cultural differences are blurred somewhat in it which makes the film more appealing to a wider audience.

Visually it's not a AAA epic on a Ghost In The Shell or Akira level. It's appealing enough with some lovely muted, pastel tones that are a compliment instead of a turn off. The voice acting is fairly impressive too, the heated moments especially. You can clearly tell corners were cut, possibly to meet a budget or perhaps some scenes are a little rushed. These moments let the film down a bit but the rest is so nicely put together that you can forgive it's simpler moments.

Coming in just under 50 minutes it is all over fairly quickly. There's a couple of avenues that could have been taken to stretch it out to 80 or 90 minutes but I feel it would have been unnecessary and probably ruined it.

Hawaiian Breeze is a fantastic,obscure little gem. Seek it out and pop it on your watch list.

Oh, and stick around for the end credits. The images are a nice touch and relevant subject matter. One of the images certainly made me chuckle out loud too. You'll know which one I mean.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 23:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Been really getting into these more than the mech and scifi anime, the one I really want to see is Radio City Fantasy, the LD was selling too high for me
and I missed out on a few and won't be on YJ again to buy it.

So if it comes up on ebay then I'll own it, one on now for a stupid high price.
I'll watch this on YT later even with the YOY at the end credits :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 23:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just looked up Radio City Fantasy and added it to my watch list. It sounds very interesting and I enjoy the obscure stuff everyone else avoids.

Not because I hang around Starbucks wearing bollock-strangling denim and a lumberjack shirt while sporting a beard the size of a rhododendron bush and carrying a portable turntable under my arm while admiring the Penny Farthing I rode to Starbucks on leaning against the wall outside while nursing a decaf soy espresso for five hours.

No.

I just like discovering stuff that may be forgotten forever. It might be good stuff.

Hawaiian Breeze is VHS only afaik. I have my eyes open for a copy if anyone spots it. I hope to own a copy some day.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2020, 00:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you find a stream of it let me know, I think I found a 2 minute stream on youtube but would really want to see it, I think its part anime part live action
and some takes place in NYC.
Love seeing old NYC on video but sometimes don't need to own it hahaha

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2020, 22:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Watching To-Y now.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 21:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

$1000, eat my shorts.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 22:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
$1000, eat my shorts.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
The other guy wants 15k, I don't want a car but how much is his contact willing to pay.

You are cheap anyway on anime, you say you want all this stuff but nothing.
You ain't gonna get aughts prices anymore on anime from people dumping to upgrade to DVDs

Page 49 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 64  Next