It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:27

Page 5 of 5 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Akira 4K Remaster
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 08:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Failimation are finally offering a disc replacement program.

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/12 ... d-edition/

Note the UK/Ireland email address isn't working so perhaps send your replacement request to both email addresses.

Once I get confirmation and an RMA number I'll unwrap it and read the booklet. Not before. Always a chance they'll screw this up. Almost bought the JPN edition too, glad I held off now!

Also, read that the Blu included in this set is the exact same disc from 2013. Glad I bought the 2011 Blu recently now. Still need that Streamline dub though, the ultimate dub!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 23:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That bad? WOW.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 00:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
Streamline dub though, the ultimate dub!

You know, I only ever watched that dub when I first saw Akira in the theater back around 1990, and then only
watched it sometimes on LD, would have watched it in raw Japanese or English Stremdub.

But I do own the DVD and won't ever watch the dub again, Japanese with or without subs only.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 01:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
That bad? WOW.

It's pretty poo.

Gave the discs a spin there as I'm in the RMA process now. It's a real collection of turds it really is.

Menu's on the 4K and bonus discs are the same as the JPN discs. They look like they were authoured by that wedding video company your friend's dad knows that transfers old Super 8mm film to DVD and then re-encoded for Windows Media Player.

Each disc has more anti-piracy warnings on it than the amount of pages that make up the entire collection of the Encyclopedia Britannica. I spent 807 minutes watching anti-piracy warnings before I could play a 1min 3second Akira TV trailer. I would wager that someone on this planet has actually died while waiting for those warnings to finish playing and never lived to see the content they were hoping to see before their life was cruelly taken away from them.

I've attended weddings in Las Vegas that were finished quicker than the time it took to finish watching the anti-piracy notices on these discs.

And then there's the sound. It's absolute f***ing clown shoes. If I've taken a diuretic and woken up in the middle of the night to have a wee the sound of my p**s cascading to the depths of the toilet bowl is louder and boomier than the collection of utter rubbish that is being offer up on these discs. The whole thing sounds like a plate of beans negotiating their way through a cow's digestive system.

Oh it's bloody woeful.

And then there is the lack of HDR. My Panasonic UB820 didn't know what to do with itself. It made my TV flash up HDR signal flags but sure enough the content playback info panel denotes the video is actually SDR. My poor Panasonic got in such a muddle it crashed during the opening credits of the 4K disc as it didn't know what it was supposed to be displaying. That's a genuine first for me.

The 'bonus' third disc is a load of old buttocks as well. Another DIY wedding video menu in Magix DVD Pro 11 or whatever, and with the added absolute cheek of carrying pretty much the same extras as the main Blu Ray disc which in itself really is a recycled 2013 Blu Ray disc. And to rub it in, the 'bonus' disc denotes subtitles are available, but none of the content is subtitled and the sound clip documentary is in Japanese. Madness!

I don't buy the whole thing that the HDR release that is following in February is intentional. I think someone made a huge c**k up and they have nobody to pin it on but themselves.

The US, UK and Ireland have been treated to the anime equivalent of an average anus passing through pure, scalding hot liquid s**t the day after the human body has digested a particularly urgent curry.

Avoid this garbage like the plague and spend your money on something else.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 01:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

teddanson wrote:

Welcome to the future of Internet:

Quote:
Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country

Julien

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 02:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
teddanson wrote:

Welcome to the future of Internet:

Quote:
Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country

Julien

Content providers are suffocating in so much of their own red tape and paranoia they'd geofence their own mother's. The modern day World Wide Web is a real scrapheap rusting in corporate legalese poop. Tracking this, privacy that. The young folk of today can't even swear without f'ing and blinding.

In my day all we had was an AOL disc, a dial up modem, Netscape and a page filled with animated gifs and banner ad's. For fun ALT+F4 and a winuke exe file was all you needed. AND WE WERE HAPPY! A/S/L? :silent:

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 02:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The main reason I buy JP imports...or why I buy anything at all really, is laziness. Not having to do the work you went through already (so far) with this disc is the reason I pay double or quadruple for JP versions.

Which isn’t to say that there aren’t f-ed up JDM versions of things...just that it’s less common. Also, the waiting game...sitting around wondering if the domestic version will arrive and not be crap before the JP version sells out everywhere...too stressful. Waiting around for US versions of Giant Robo made me this way...

The JP one probably auto-runs also with a single frame of text for the no-copy message. :) (That one may be too much to assume.)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 05:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The US BD of Giant Robo is excellent, and loaded with extras. Obviously there was a massive time gap while Japan milked sales of their $430 BD. I like Giant Robo a lot but $45 is a lot easier to swallow and I would have lived with just having DVDs if the US BD was a botch job (like say if Funi got it).

Btw for anyone that likes Planetes (it's a must see anime imo), there is a UK BD and it's going to be great.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 08:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Btw for anyone that likes Planetes (it's a must see anime imo), there is a UK BD and it's going to be great.

I have both omnibus books, it's a great read. I never got to see the anime so that is super news! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 11:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:

I pre-ordered the japanese BD-Box set of that, and it came out in september 2009.
Surprisingly that set is still available today.
Either it did not sell, or they made too many.
But yeah, epic anime.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 11:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I guess the shining light here is Failimation are not touching this one. Still, €70 is a bit urgent for a 3 disc set. I paid marginally more than that for the DOTD 4k box recently and that had far more tat.

https://www.alltheanime.com/products/pl ... rs-edition

Maybe if it goes on sale in the new year I'd bite. If the anime is as good as the manga I'll get it.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 14:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
I guess the shining light here is Failimation are not touching this one.

They might yet for the US release. Which will probably happen but details are up in the air and it would not use the same work done for this, which is done by people known to do good work.

lons_vex wrote:

I pre-ordered the japanese BD-Box set of that, and it came out in september 2009.
Surprisingly that set is still available today.
Either it did not sell, or they made too many.
But yeah, epic anime.

I would guess it didn't sell well. Doesn't seem like an anime that is overly popular in Japan but I could be wrong. They did at least have the BD in Japan first as you mentioned. I assume anything where they let a US company do the first BD release worldwide is dead in Japan.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 07:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I noticed this 4k version is being shown at a local cinema "for one week only", bit odd as I honestly don't recall the original film being screened locally at all. In fact I'm sure I saw it for the first time a bit later at a grindhouse dive in Melbourne via a 24 hour ticket (a heap of stuff was being screened over a couple of days with few if any breaks).

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021, 12:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Got my replacement disc yesterday. Not checked it out yet but reports on the Blu Ray forum say the HDR issue is now fixed, but the disc is still missing the JPN 2.0 track. Thus the JPN release is still superior I guess. Doesn't bother me much as the 2011 Blu Ray has the much lauded 2.0 track on it. Could always mux it in another day.

That said I think the new 5.1 track is rather nice and quite powerful. Sure it's nice to have the original audio, but there's nothing wrong with beefing it up a bit right?

Page 5 of 5 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5