It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:21

Page 51 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 14:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

finally broke down and picked up NIS America's standard Blu-Ray edition of CLAMP's Card Captor Sakura.

been waiting for over a decade now in the hopes of somehow finding the whole series on the cheap.
however, with the way pricing/availability trends on this series are clearly heading, that simply does not seem likely to ever happen,
and, to be honest, i'm really quite fed-up with waiting in any case.

So, $120 direct for a Blu-Ray set from NISA's storefront it was;

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 17:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tweeg wrote:
teddanson wrote:
Just finished watching Hal on Blu Ray. Very pleasantly surprised by it too.

Thought it was going to be some old Mills and Boon saccharine soppy guff vomit but in actual fact it was a great little story slotted in to 60 minutes.

For 'modern anime' the animation standard was rather good. A few corners cut here and there but I guess it's understandable given it's not a big AAA cinema release? Some great art and voice acting on display here (though sadly let down by some lazy moments, maybe budget constraints? I don't know). The extras are nice too as you get to see how it was made. In fairness though with some of the ropey animation in places the team could have made an effort with the android design. It was a bit British Leyland.

That hits home man, the ever constant reminder of British Leyland lays at rest in my backyard. A motionless un-moving V12 reminder that I was utterly stupid, completely oblivious, and totally uninformed with my first car purchase. I had always thought Ford cars were the worst things on the road... but at least those things are on the road. British Leyland cars? No wonder you never see them! They're not rare, they're just all forever P.I.P. (Parked in Peace) at their final unexpected resting places where their misfortunate owners last parked them at leaving them stranded and bewildered as to what possibly broke this time! In the two years before I finally had to give up on it, due to the unfathomable constant repair bills, I had only managed to put just over two-hundred miles on the car... it spent almost eighteen months in repair shops in the two years I attempted to use it as my primary vehicle. Anyone want stylish looking 1970's lawn ornament? :think:

Sounds like an XJS.

But even the Minis they made were less reliable than the pre-Leyland ones. We had a similar problem here, to me honest. After smog laws kicked in in the 70s the big three basically gave up and made garbage until VW and Japan eventually shamed them into trying again in the 90s. A 1977 Oldsmobile was a total POS, just as much as a Mini Metro or a Princess.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 18:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
finally broke down and picked up NIS America's standard Blu-Ray edition of CLAMP's Card Captor Sakura.

been waiting for over a decade now in the hopes of somehow finding the whole series on the cheap.
however, with the way pricing/availability trends on this series are clearly heading, that simply does not seem likely to ever happen,
and, to be honest, i'm really quite fed-up with waiting in any case.

Nice. It's something I have my eye on but I'm probably going to not buy it and then be more annoyed when the price is even higher. I've almost done it a few times in the past but never could pull the trigger. Maybe next time it's on sale.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 14:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i was set on NIS' limited edition BRD set for a while there, but in the end, i figured the book and slipcase
weren't really worth the near-$300 at the cheapest it seems to command these days...

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2021, 21:50 
True fan
True fan

Watched my second Lupin movie because it arrived yesterday. Now I finally have both English dubbed ones.

Attachments:
Lupin.jpg
Lupin.jpg [ 95.25 KiB | Viewed 2324 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2021, 23:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There are portions of the Lupin fan base that don't like Cagliostro but I think it's a fine movie.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021, 01:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gypsy wrote:
There are portions of the Lupin fan base that don't like Cagliostro but I think it's a fine movie.

To an outsider it sounds like a similar situation to the Nolan Batman movies, as in "Is this a Miyazaki-flavored Lupin movie or a Lupin-flavored Miyazaki movie?"

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021, 09:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Its the only part of the franchise I have seen though I might fix that in the future. its enjoyable but I might have only seen it once or twice like at a club meeting when I was younger.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021, 16:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
gypsy wrote:

To an outsider it sounds like a similar situation to the Nolan Batman movies, as in "Is this a Miyazaki-flavored Lupin movie or a Lupin-flavored Miyazaki movie?"

That's pretty much the crux of the matter. It definitely has a very different feel but is still a good movie imo.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021, 19:00 
True fan
True fan

Guys I am not even slightly an expert on Lupin. I only have two movies:

The Castle of Cagliostro
The Mystery of Mamo

I bought them because those are the only two Japan Lupin releases that have an English dub.
I enjoyed both movies.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 08:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s OK, they can still talk about movies you haven’t seen.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 23:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

therussian wrote:
Guys I am not even slightly an expert on Lupin.

Neither am I but I enjoy those two films and some other stuff as well.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 14:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

so i finally broke down and bit the bullet on this series for $130 shipped, coming to the acute realization that i just wasn't going to find it for any cheaper, at least not at this degree of Audio/Video quality.

eight episodes in, and, indeed, already worth the wait and the price, it is so good-natured and Adorable, the animation is great (for a T.V. series) and it's humor is incredibly witty and tasteful...

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 17:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you end up really liking CCS, Tsubasa Chronicle is worth a watch.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 00:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I checked out a few episodes of CCS on CR, and it really is very lushly animated and charming. It's a good thing it was made when it was and not a few years later, when the apex of hand-painted cel animation on TV gave way to the early digipaint efforts (shudder).

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 01:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Wicked City on Blu today. Heartbroken the UK dub is not on it, but the rest of the disc was actually alright and not a collection of loose, watery stools.

Picture quality was absolutely excellent. The source used here must have been very well looked after. It's razor sharp and looks rich and colourful. I only listened to the Japanese 2.0 track which was nice and bouncy. Taki's voice is quite baritone as well, hadn't noticed that until now. There is the odd occasion that voices seem to get consumed in the centre but enabling clear voice helps a little. For the most part though it sounds great and looks even better.

The film is a bit laden with misogyny by today's standards but that aside it still holds up elsewhere. I always loved the lush blues and reds that soak the fibres of this film. Glad to have seen it again.

Never seen the sequel but popped in that disc too and watched the trailer. One to watch soon.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 01:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

edit: wtf

Last edited by gypsy on 13 Jan 2021, 01:36, edited 1 time in total. _________________
I have added a shop on lddb.com. Check it out, items are priced to sell.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 01:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
I checked out a few episodes of CCS on CR, and it really is very lushly animated and charming. It's a good thing it was made when it was and not a few years later, when the apex of hand-painted cel animation on TV gave way to the early digipaint efforts (shudder).

If there is one thing I like even less than modern style animation, it's the digipaint era.

teddanson wrote:
Watched Wicked City on Blu today. Heartbroken the UK dub is not on it, but the rest of the disc was actually alright and not a collection of loose, watery stools.

Picture quality was absolutely excellent. The source used here must have been very well looked after. It's razor sharp and looks rich and colourful. I only listened to the Japanese 2.0 track which was nice and bouncy. Taki's voice is quite baritone as well, hadn't noticed that until now. There is the odd occasion that voices seem to get consumed in the centre but enabling clear voice helps a little. For the most part though it sounds great and looks even better.

The film is a bit laden with misogyny by today's standards but that aside it still holds up elsewhere. I always loved the lush blues and reds that soak the fibres of this film. Glad to have seen it again.

Never seen the sequel but popped in that disc too and watched the trailer. One to watch soon.

It's honestly a ridiculous movie but one that can be fun to watch. Definitely worth having on BD, looks stunning.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 02:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

After 52 episodes of Fist of the North Star I decided to take a break from it and replace it with The Law of Ueki in that watch time. Only 10 episodes but this seems quite good if you like shonen. Don't go in expecting it to be anything it isn't basically.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 15:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:

Amen to that!!! sweet-natured and often honestly hilarious in the best of ways, and the most lovingly animated T.V. series i've seen in a long time, to boot!!

this series has it all, -at least for those looking for great slice-of-life Anime- and is precisely what the doctor ordered
after the long string of Anime disappointments i've endured over the last couple of years.

an expensive series, even in it's bare-bones standard Blu-Ray edition, but honestly worth every penny even so...

Page 51 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 64  Next