It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:23

Page 5 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last HD DVD you watched?
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2021, 02:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Moved my HD-A3 to my bedroom running thru a cheapo native 720p projector on a 100 inch screen and watched The Thing. No issues loading and playback was doing well until I had one instance near to the end of the movie of it hanging up after I accidentally hit several buttons on the remote (did not appear to have been paused). I went back a chapter and it played thru where it hung up with no issues. As I love the movie I will re watch it and put the remote where I can't accidentally hit it again. :oops:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 21:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Threw another one into the player last night being Shaun Of The Dead. 5th time watching this since I purchased it as it never gets old for me. Loaded and played thru (even watched most of the special features) with no issues at all and yes, I made sure to keep the remote away from me this time. :lol: .

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 02:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

What if HD-DVD won the format war, we would have UHD-DVD now?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 07:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

substance wrote:
What if HD-DVD won the format war, we would have UHD-DVD now?

Nice one!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2021, 03:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Last night was a Warner Bros title being Full Metal Jacket. This movie for me is a mixed bag in that I do enjoy the entire film but LOVE the boot camp portion so much more then the rest of it. Should have taken pictures as the disc had a thick cloudy film on the disc surface. Would not come clean with alcohol so used Turtle Wax car wax which removed the white film (mostly) and threw it into the player. Loaded and played with no issues.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 15:16 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thought I'd give another Warner Bros title a go and pulled out my copy of The Omega Man. This was a new/sealed one I had purchased few years ago. No scratches, no weird hazy stuff on the disc. This had played fine the last time I watched it a couple years or so ago but not to be this time. Inserted into the player and all it would do was "Loading". Locked up the player and had to hold in the power button until it would shut down. Looks like I will need to buy this one on Blu-ray and looking at prices of what this title is going for I'm in no hurry to get a copy anytime soon.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 20:33 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

barfvader wrote:
Last night was a Warner Bros title being Full Metal Jacket. This movie for me is a mixed bag in that I do enjoy the entire film but LOVE the boot camp portion so much more then the rest of it. Should have taken pictures as the disc had a thick cloudy film on the disc surface. Would not come clean with alcohol so used Turtle Wax car wax which removed the white film (mostly) and threw it into the player. Loaded and played with no issues.

Saw that in the theater when I was young along with a preview screening of Robocop (which was the uncut version--being a preview prior to wide release.) My dad wanted to see FMJ since it was being described as the most realistic depiction of Marine Boot Camp ever in a movie (and he was a Marine Vietnam Vet.) He agrees that the bootcamp portion was the best part of the movie. Rest of it was ho-hum. I concur as well.

I actually re-watched the movie right before I joined the Navy so I could get a fresh idea as to what I was getting into as far as boot camp went. Luckily Navy boot camp was no where near as rough as Marine Basic Training!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 15:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Gave another Warner Bros title a shot. Threw in one of my favorites being Blazing Saddles. This is one of those movies I've watched so many times I pretty much know every word and usually start laughing before the lines are even spoken.

Loading time took a wee bit longer than normal but loaded up fine. Everything was going good and at the 40 minute mark visual glitches started. Kept playing though so crossed fingers and, crap, movie locked up but player display kept right on with the timer going as it should. Hit skip back one chapter and it played a little better and lock up again with counter doing it's normal thing. Another one bites the dust or has it?

Pulled the disc out while typing this and although it is a clean disc I sprayed it with some lens cleaner (for glasses) and for the heck of it put it in the player again. Loaded quicker. Than advanced it to just before the 40 minute mark and not a single visual glitch and played through where it locked up last night. I'll try and watch it again tonight and see what happens.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 16:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know I've read Disclord posting about using on LDs Rainx? I think, you can search the topic.
Anyway he swore that it worked on some bad discs and that there was a bulletin about using it.

I never saw it and do this at your own risk but just wanted to throw that out there.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 22:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

rein-o wrote:
I know I've read Disclord posting about using on LDs Rainx? I think, you can search the topic.
Anyway he swore that it worked on some bad discs and that there was a bulletin about using it.

I never saw it and do this at your own risk but just wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks for the info as I never heard of using Rainx (I'll do a search). If I had any lying around I'd give it a shot as it's not like it's going to ruin these messed up discs anymore than what they are.

Edited to add: Found it https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2339

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 22:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, I never heard of it before either but Disclord was an early adopter of LD, I think he even had a Magnavox player when first sold new??

He had lots of great info, I posted quickly earlier today.
Also may try to pickup some as I have 1 LD that started to give me trouble and wonder if it will help?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 14:21 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Doing a quick read on Rain-X I can understand the thought process of it possibly working. I mean I use Turtle Wax on various media so if I had any Rain-X I would certainly give it a try on discs that are having issues. I know somewhere in my stuff I have some wipes that are similar to Rain-X so if I ever find them I'll give those a try at some point.

And Blazing Saddles was just being a tease. 15-30 seconds once it played past the initial problem area it starts doing it all over again. Do have this title on Blu-ray so not to upset but what a frustrating format this is for anyone that collects these things.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 16:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

barfvader wrote:
Do have this title on Blu-ray so not to upset but what a frustrating format this is for anyone that collects these things.

Unless you live in Sweden and mostly have European releases like me. I got one disc with possible issues so far out of over 250. I haven't tested all, but all that I have tested plays through. Even US Combo-disc Warner titles, although those were sealed untill I played them.

Or maybe I am just lucky. :D

I am also starting to wonder if the player matters. I have two of Toshiba HD-E1.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 16:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I've got a bunch of stuff still sealed as well (good amount of Warner Bros titles) and will slowly open and play them. I guess I should have stated frustrating format for collectors here in the United States but according to the online masses we are all sorta weird collecting any physical media. And I don't mind being weird as I never tried to fit in with the masses anyway. :lol:

As to if player model matters I have no clue. I know mine is one of the low end ones but as long as it works for me that's all that matters. I also have the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player as well and do note that sometimes it has played a disc without issue when the HD-A3 was having issues but don't currently have it set up to test if it will play these problem discs.

Handful more that I gave a try over the past few nights with all being Universal releases.

Pitch Black and The Chronicles Of Riddick. Loaded and played fine with no issues. I like Pitch Black but Chronicles not as much. It's okay but kinda meh.

The Mummy. Loaded and played without issues. I've watched this movie probably 10 or more times now and still find it a good entertaining movie. Will be watching The Mummy Returns maybe tonight.

Smokey And The Bandit. Loaded and played with no issues. This movie I have watched at least 20 times (probably more) on various formats over the years. Still fun to watch and laugh at all of the lines done by Jackie Gleason. He was made for that role.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 17:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Did go ahead and watched The Mummy Returns last night. Loaded and played with no issues. I think I'm starting to grow tired of that particular series of movies. Still enjoyed it but think I'm reaching my limit on those.

Decided to do something different so I've pulled out all of my Warner Bros titles (thought I had more) and will watch them next. I know the Matrix had an issue last time I tried but it's been so long can't remember exactly which one. Same goes for Blade Runner in that I can't remember which one gave me issues. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory had issues very early in the movie but will play it so I can give an accurate account of where it starts messing up. The two sealed copies of The Fugitive were a more recent purchase (well couple years or so ago) in a Marden's (surplus/salvage store chain) for $1.49 a copy but also believe they were 50% off when I bought them so if they are dead no big deal.

After these I think I'll attempt to watch ones that are on combo discs. I know I had an issue with Land Of The Dead (bought the Blu-ray to replace that) but will also confirm that title when I get thru the Warner releases.

Attachments:
Warner Bros.JPG
Warner Bros.JPG [ 459.32 KiB | Viewed 2867 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 18:53 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well figured I would throw in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory while I had lunch. Again such a weird format as it played thru the spot that I had issues prior where it would lock up about 10 minutes into the movie (also did that on the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player). But this was teasing me just like Blazing Saddles.

11 minutes 30 seconds visual glitch (hundreds of blocks on screen for a couple seconds). Went back over it and pressed play and no issues.
15 minutes 48 seconds audio glitch. Weird noise and drop out for about 2 seconds.
54 minutes 21 seconds picture locked up, no audio and timer on player advanced as normal. Player did not lock up and could stop and eject normally.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2021, 14:27 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Last nights attempt didn't take to long.

Matrix. Loaded fine but 7 seconds into the movie video glitches (boxes) and image froze. Could skip to next chapter but image from previous chapter still froze on screen and locked up player.

Matrix Reloaded. Wouldn't load and got the infinite "Loading" on player display and locked up player.

Matrix Revolutions. Loaded with no issue but immediate visual glitching upon playback, froze up and locked up player.

I feel bad for anyone that paid full retail for this crap.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2021, 22:49 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Forgot that I had another Warner title so pulled that one out last night and watched I Am Legend (which is a combo disc as well). Disc loaded with no issues. Selected the alternate version and played flawlessly.

So 8 Warner Bros titles done with 2 having no issues. Guess that's better than all being dead. Will be interesting to see the final tally on what I have here.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2021, 11:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Watched a couple of movies the past two weeks.

The Mummy (1999) - 6/10
The Mummy Returns (2001) - 5/10

The movies are getting a little boring, too much focus on fun and redicolous. It will be a long time until I watch them again.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 16:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

barfvader wrote:

You are lucky. None of my Warner Bros HD-DVD's work anymore. So in the bin they went. But even so I still have 100+ discs that are working :)

Page 5 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next