It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:49

Page 54 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2021, 03:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The original issue dvd in the snap case is quite bad. The release that came out when the BD was released is a fair bit better iirc. Been awhile since I watched this movie though.

signofzeta wrote:
As a fan of the movie itself I would also recommend the BR. The DVD sucks and the LD doesn’t do it justice.

Dark movies need better formats/transfers than brighter movies do. Ponyo would look great as a PSP UMD, but Dark City or Angels Egg? Not as much.

I really need to get the Japanese BD of Angel's Egg at some point. I'd never pay for that bootleg floating around eBay.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2021, 09:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
Maybe I should pick up that LD...

Not sure if you've looked at prices but it's more expensive than the out of print blu ray from what I can tell. DVD is cheap.

I'll vouch for the blu-ray. It's a quite unadulterated transfer, and in HD you can really see just how rough the animation is around the edges. It makes little things like inconsistent pupil sizes between cels very apparent. Highly recommend for anyone who wants the full experience. (Minus the theatrical end-narration if that matters to anyone. I've never heard it so it doesn't bug me much.)

Didn't it have an altered soundtrack or was that one of the Rankin-Bass ones?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2021, 16:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Didn't it have an altered soundtrack or was that one of the Rankin-Bass ones?

That would be the Rankin-Bass Hobbit, which had at least one very important line muted in some releases and probably some other substantive changes. I think that's been restored for the most recent release, but anyway the only audio change I know of for Bakshi's is the end-narration, which I've read they re-recorded because no Part 2 was ever made.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2021, 00:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Hanasakeru Seishounen 8.5/10 I think I finally know where this is heading now in terms of the romance. If so, an excellent choice but this show has surprised me before so I'll see. This is pretty dramatic even by anime standards, not much in the way of comedic relief either. The non-romance plot is actually not bad and exists which is a plus.

Ended up being correct. Great ending, highly enjoyable series for me.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 17:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Princess Mononoke for the umpteenth time, probably my favorite movie. It's rare to see a film with such precise moral clarity, neither erasing the nuance of its conflict nor engaging in false equivalence. And there are just so many scenes that give me chills every single time. It staggers the mind to think that Miyazaki hand-inspected every last cel of animation.

The first time I watched it as a teen, I had to put it on again immediately to show my younger brother, then again when my parents came home to show them. Only movie I've ever watched three times in one day.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 17:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I wish I could say the same. While Mononoke is a masterpiece for many reasons I found it violent and unpleasant and bleak. I watched some of it the other day to test out the AC-3 and I don’t get much enjoyment out of it. In this world...everything sucks. I can’t relax or enjoy myself there.

Don’t get me wrong, when the movie was new I saw it a dozen times in a week at least. After reading Turning Point I now understand many more aspects of the movie and by no means am I bored of it, it’s more thought provoking than ever. It’s also the only Ghibli movie with beheadings in it even now and almost everything that happens to anyone in that movie sucks for them. Pure misery for everyone, lots of black goo everywhere.

...to me that black goo represents the later period Ghibli. Howl has the same stuff, so does Spirited Way, Howl is OK but I don’t really like Spirited Away for pretty much the same reason. It’s kinda...repellent.

Mononoke is like the grown up version of Nausicaa...the original teaser for it pretty much said that. I’m not interesting in growing up. Good for everyone who did but I’m staying here. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 21:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My go-to Ghibli film will always be Porco Rosso.

Either that or Totoro.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2021, 00:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
My go-to Ghibli film will always be Porco Rosso.

Either that or Totoro.

Both are AAA+. Totoro honestly seems to just get better every year. That thing is a master class in observation. We all know kids move like that the wind in the trees sets the mood etc but sometimes only after seeing it in Totoro do you realize you’ve been seeing it your whole life. This to me shows the true insight of the world class animators who made it.

My favorite is Nausicaa. I wouldn’t be on this forum if not for that movie. The flight, the stakes, the music, the amazing characters, the cool designs.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 23:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I watched Ghost in the Shell, the big LE that everyone has. Not the first time. I skipped the mountain of bonus stuff as I remember it being worthless. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I noticed this time that I can now watch this movie without getting thrown or distracted by a single thing. What seemed massive and impenetrable now seems as straightforward as can be. That’s how many times I’ve seen it.

I love the English voice actors in this, even though it’s obvious that they didn’t really have their stuff together until later GitS things. The script itself is half the problem, direction the other. The exposition is crammed and some lines needed another take. Also, and this has always bugged me, when translating a movie into English do not translate Biblical quotes. Find that passage in an existing translation and use that. Otherwise it’s not a “quote” but a paraphrase.

I need to know the best way to get Stand Alone Complex on DVD/BR. I don’t need 2nd Gig (not that good!) but I suppose that’s probably included. One box if possible, cheap. Does anyone know?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 23:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I watched Ghost in the Shell, the big LE that everyone has. Not the first time. I skipped the mountain of bonus stuff as I remember it being worthless. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I noticed this time that I can now watch this movie without getting thrown or distracted by a single thing. What seemed massive and impenetrable now seems as straightforward as can be. That’s how many times I’ve seen it.

I love the English voice actors in this, even though it’s obvious that they didn’t really have their stuff together until later GitS things. The script itself is half the problem, direction the other. The exposition is crammed and some lines needed another take. Also, and this has always bugged me, when translating a movie into English do not translate Biblical quotes. Find that passage in an existing translation and use that. Otherwise it’s not a “quote” but a paraphrase.

I need to know the best way to get Stand Alone Complex on DVD/BR. I don’t need 2nd Gig (not that good!) but I suppose that’s probably included. One box if possible, cheap. Does anyone know?

It is separated by season on blu ray. I remember there being some issue with it, but it still might be better than the DVD. I have it on DVD and have not felt the need to upgrade.

That's the one blu release in the US: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ghost-in ... /#Overview

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 23:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

Brilliant film. I have the same set as you though more recently watched the 4K disc followed by the sequel and about 5 seconds of the GITS 2.0 with added CGI which was just horrendous.

GITS is a great film. I too had to watch it a couple of times, albeit not as many times (or over as many years) as Ang Lee's Hulk. I don't think it's Oshii's best, for me that's Patlabor 2, but it's a definite all-time classic and much worthy of the praise heaped upon it. The dub is very good too, I think I've watched the dub more than the sub. I didn't enjoy GITS 2: Innocence very much though, it doesn't even feel like a sequel imho.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 23:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

There's a 4-disc BD set for the first season of Stand Alone Complex still in print for cheap ($19 on Amazon). I can't vouch for its quality, though. No review on blu-ray.com, but I've read grumblings about visual issues due to showing the CG elements at 24p instead of 60i, as well as audio track problems (like a Japanese line making its way into the dub track or something). Maybe they've fixed the sound problems for later pressings, but I'd research first. Bandai's Anime Legends DVD release is long out of print of course, but I think you can find it for a comparable price. I believe that's the release I watched back in the day (via Netflix mail!) and I don't recall any problems with it.

It's been forever since I saw them, but I seem to remember liking 2nd Gig more. That said, I struggled to follow what was happening in both seasons, and it might be that by the time I got to 2nd Gig I was just more acclimated.

Quote:
I have recently watch my hero academia anime, the creator of the collection is a large fan of western pop culture or even states that spider-guy is his favorite superhero. this can be visible as he makes loads of references to those characters through his characters. So, it appeals to both Japanese's viewer and western people who are extra acquainted of the American wonder and dc style.

I'm enjoying the manga from what I've read so far, haven't tried the anime. I think fans are often surprised to see how much Japanese cartoonists like western cartoons and vice-versa, when in fact there's been creative cross-pollination for as long as the respective industries have been around. BTW, think you mean "Marvel" instead of "wonder," if you're translating to English.

teddanson wrote:
Brilliant film. I have the same set as you though more recently watched the 4K disc followed by the sequel and about 5 seconds of the GITS 2.0 with added CGI which was just horrendous.

UGH, I keep forgetting that 2.0 exists, and it's never pleasant to remember that it does. It's like, "Sorry viewers, Sci-fi is orange now."

EDIT: Okay, this is rich: (part of) the audio problem on the US Stand Alone Complex blu-ray is apparently that they used the Japanese rear channels in the English audio?? :lol: https://toonamifaithful.com/technical-issues-with-gits-sac-blu-ray-release/ Not clear whether this ever got fixed. Also, apparently there's only English SDH dubtitles for the Japanese audio instead of proper separate translation.

Last edited by rcarlson on 01 Feb 2021, 23:51, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 23:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

GITS is a great film. I too had to watch it a couple of times, albeit not as many times (or over as many years) as Ang Lee's Hulk. I don't think it's Oshii's best, for me that's Patlabor 2, but it's a definite all-time classic and much worthy of the praise heaped upon it. The dub is very good too, I think I've watched the dub more than the sub. I didn't enjoy GITS 2: Innocence very much though, it doesn't even feel like a sequel imho.

I agree that Patlabor 2 is better that GitS but Angel’s Egg is better than both. They all have something to say though and are essential.

Stand Alone Complex is easily as good as the first GitS movie. It’s insights into internet culture are more relevant than ever.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 03:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm always amazed with things like Starship Troopers or GITS where the internet is still spot on but Gibson totally fubar'd it.
Remember reading Neuromancer about 8 years after it came out, was late to the game. Anyway it was so dated it was like reading about steam powered
space ships......

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 13:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
Quote:
I have recently watch my hero academia anime, the creator of the collection is a large fan of western pop culture or even states that spider-guy is his favorite superhero. this can be visible as he makes loads of references to those characters through his characters. So, it appeals to both Japanese's viewer and western people who are extra acquainted of the American wonder and dc style.

I'm enjoying the manga from what I've read so far, haven't tried the anime. I think fans are often surprised to see how much Japanese cartoonists like western cartoons and vice-versa, when in fact there's been creative cross-pollination for as long as the respective industries have been around. BTW, think you mean "Marvel" instead of "wonder," if you're translating to English.

This was a spam bot.

rcarlson wrote:
EDIT: Okay, this is rich: (part of) the audio problem on the US Stand Alone Complex blu-ray is apparently that they used the Japanese rear channels in the English audio?? :lol: https://toonamifaithful.com/technical-issues-with-gits-sac-blu-ray-release/ Not clear whether this ever got fixed. Also, apparently there's only English SDH dubtitles for the Japanese audio instead of proper separate translation.

Thanks for this I knew there were some issues but couldn't remember.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 17:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That’s so half-assed for such a major show that’s already been on video multiple times.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 18:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Been watching random anime on some bootleg channels I found on my roku.

Was watching part of GITS last night and watched the first and half of the second parts of Crying Freeman, much better than I remember.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 18:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Crying Freeman was a pretty impressive manga but I only watched a few minutes of the anime. Impossible to really animate in a way that does the source material justice on an anime budget, way too short, that’s what I remember but it was a long time ago.

Related: I didn’t know this until recently but Sparks actually tried to get a Mai the Psychic Girl live action movie made in the 90s. They made the entire OST for it, some of which has been released. That album they did release, The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman, is actually about failing to make the Mai movie.

Mai the Psychic girl was one of the first manga sold in English and I’ve been a fan of it since that time. The artist is the same as Crying Freeman. The compilation graphic novels were from that period when Viz used to print stuff in Japan so the pages stay in, there’s no glossy sheen on the cover, metallic ink, and better image reproduction. What blows my mind is that Sparks was apparently in love with Mai as much as I was and at around the same time I was discovering both Mai and Sparks (late to the party on that one). It feels like some kind of fanboy nexus...

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 20:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
That’s so half-assed for such a major show that’s already been on video multiple times.

I distinctly recall people calling it a curse; that any Ghost in the Shell release would be almost guaranteed to have some kind of a technical problem. The first Region 1 DVD had subtitles out of sync, the first Region 2 DVD had audio out of sync, the later Region 1 Special Edition didn't have LFE output on the DTS track in some copies, etc. and the first DVD releases of SAC had some problems as well but I can't remember what they were.

I wonder if the old Manga LD had some issue as well.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 21:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

"Curse" sounds about right. Even the recent US 4K release of the GitS movie has the wrong end-credits music on the Japanese track. (The U2 song used for the dub instead of the original soundtrack. The blu-ray doesn't have this mistake.)

Page 54 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 64  Next