It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laserdisc anime subtitle generation
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 19:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

hi guys i am looking again at backing up my Laserdisc anime collection now i have the dooms day duplicator i have stacks of stuff but need the best app for subtitle generation. ive been reading that you can take a video and an app will machine translate the Japanese audio in to English text. whats my best options for this has anyone done this before?

i was going to upload to youtube but there's alot of t**s and stuff in the anime i have backed up to now so what ever solution needs to be cool with t**s

Alan

Post subject: Re: Laserdisc anime subtitle generation
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 19:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

...backing up and YouTube are opposites. A “backup” is supposed to be a redundant extra copy of something that is as in your control as the original is. When you upload to YT you are just giving them a copy of something for their own use. You still only have the LD.

I don’t know anything about auto subtitle generation but it sounds like ugly jank you wouldn’t want permanently a part of a backup. If you want to use it I would run it while viewing the thing or make a second backup. In general, anything that machine translates Japanese is a decade behind Spanish, German, or even Chinese. It’s easier to understand Japanese dialogue by pure guess and logic than it is to make sense of machine translations, at least for me. I’d genuinely rather have nothing.

Personally, if I had a working player I would be more interested in watching movies on it while it still works than spending its last days backing up stuff that has certainly been captured somewhere already. (Hardcore ota peeps do not use YouTube as their means of distribution.) There are for sure interesting LD-only anime that would be nice to see on Youtube but that’s a very very small percentage of all anime and now a lot of it has been uploaded already. What do you have? It would be a shame to see a decades old player finally crap out while capturing some useless Tenchi Muyo junk that just gets automatically taken down as soon as you upload it, but there are some titles worth doing this with. Probably not stacks of them, I’m guessing. Maybe one small stack. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 20:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

i wasn't planing on sharing these on youtube just using its closed caption generator the downloading a srt. i have super rare discs in my collection that i back up and share the anime stuff i have is just for fun for me to watch but ime new to Japan stuff so need some sort of subtitles to follow along. Figured if i could get machine coded subs i could have some fun watching old shows. i use the word backup as i want a digital backup of the disc this is only avalable to those who have the doomsday duplicator it makes a pit perfect copy of the disc. from that backup i can extract the video and audio

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 20:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have some sub files but haven't used them yet, also some websites for links.

If you have any extras to older or more out of print stuff let me know.

As for how to do it I really don't know other than using a genlock which are expensive.
DM if you have any subs, looking for obscure stuff that isn't on DVD.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 21:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm going to echo the sentiment that watching them raw is virtually always preferable to using machine-translated subtitles, which will be prone to giving translations that are awkward in the best case, inscrutable in the average case, and the exact opposite of what was actually said in the worst case. I'd seriously suggest "get a Duolingo account and learn some Japanese" before I'd ever suggest watching anime with machine-translated subtitles. Realistically, you're better off looking for existing subtitle files on the web.

I'd also re-evaluate whether you actually need Domesday. Domesday is a great tool for historical preservation or restorative efforts, but if you just want to watch some obscure anime it's almost certainly overkill. At the end of the day, you're devoting over 2 GB per minute to storing raw digital capture of an RF stream containing composite video. If that's more space than you want to use for that level of quality, you're probably going to end up keeping just x264-encoded video files anyway (which should be more than adequate!), at which point you might as well just use a composite capture card because it's a lot easier and you've already moved on from "perfect" archival.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 21:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I have some sub files but haven't used them yet, also some websites for links.

If you have any extras to older or more out of print stuff let me know.

As for how to do it I really don't know other than using a genlock which are expensive.
DM if you have any subs, looking for obscure stuff that isn't on DVD.

^

I will second this. If you have some subtitle files for stuff please share.

I use substation alpha with already done up sub files. Like others have said, machine generated isn't going to really be watchable. You need context and subtlety that machines can't comprehend.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 00:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

2ombiekiller wrote:
i wasn't planing on sharing these on youtube just using its closed caption generator the downloading a srt. i have super rare discs in my collection that i back up and share the anime stuff i have is just for fun for me to watch but ime new to Japan stuff so need some sort of subtitles to follow along. Figured if i could get machine coded subs i could have some fun watching old shows. i use the word backup as i want a digital backup of the disc this is only avalable to those who have the doomsday duplicator it makes a pit perfect copy of the disc. from that backup i can extract the video and audio

Why do you have so many super rare discs if you’re new to anime? And what discs are we talking about? Do we have the same definition of “rare”? I think we’d all be more comfortable talking about this if we knew what we were talking about. Domesday is not overkill for something like Daicon or T-oy but there are may be a half dozen anime releases in that category. I’d just make copies with more traditional solutions otherwise, a Bluray recorder for example.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 00:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This might help you, if you have subtitle files to work with. Works great for me so far.

A post about subtitles and another story that's not as good.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 00:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Good point zeta.

So I did a quick search on my account, I've been collecting anime since my father bought me my first anime LD in CA back around 1990 or 91
and it was Dirty Pair the movie which I still own and the first Japanese issue of AKIRA which I sold years ago.

I have over 105 Japanese discs and only about a handful, possibly 6 or 7 are super rare and have never been released on official DVD even in Japan.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 03:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
2ombiekiller wrote:

Why do you have so many super rare discs if you’re new to anime? And what discs are we talking about? Do we have the same definition of “rare”? I think we’d all be more comfortable talking about this if we knew what we were talking about. Domesday is not overkill for something like Daicon or T-oy but there are may be a half dozen anime releases in that category. I’d just make copies with more traditional solutions otherwise, a Bluray recorder for example.

Feel like I am on trial I have all the stuff and keep 1 to 1 backups on my 18tb hard drive. I have rare stuff but i wasnt talking about anime. I dont have a large anime collection and am new to it all I like it and wanted to watch some stuff. I see from the comments auto translated stuff is not the way to go so will look in to SRT files.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 03:33 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

teddanson wrote:
This might help you, if you have subtitle files to work with. Works great for me so far.

A post about subtitles and another story that's not as good.

Dude this looks great I will have a play with it. Thanks

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 06:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

2ombiekiller wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
2ombiekiller wrote:

Feel like I am on trial I have all the stuff and keep 1 to 1 backups on my 18tb hard drive. I have rare stuff but i wasnt talking about anime. I dont have a large anime collection and am new to it all I like it and wanted to watch some stuff. I see from the comments auto translated stuff is not the way to go so will look in to SRT files.

I apologize for the vibe but you have to understand the way it is around here. It sounded like you were ready to split the atom of ark of the covenant league anime and when we get a sniff of that stuff we want to watch it, buy it, flip it, whatever. Mostly smell it, in my case. Since you were talking Domesday we assumed you at least at the entire run of Shakotan Boogie or something in that league. Domesday was largely developed to archive damaged non-retail LDs that may be totally unique, as in one exists on earth. It’s the Large Hadron Collider of archive systems. Way too hardcore for me, personally. I wouldn’t even able to use it for lack of brain.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 19:45 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hear we go spent a few days calibrating my laserdisc player and capture card and can now crank out good looking subtitled anime captures

this is from my LD-S9 and subtitles are a srt re timed for laserdisc and saved as a srt not hard coded

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-18h14m40s046.png
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-18h14m40s046.png [ 438.4 KiB | Viewed 2886 times ]

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-18h13m57s590.png
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-18h13m57s590.png [ 434.51 KiB | Viewed 2886 times ]

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-18h12m55s141.png
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-18h12m55s141.png [ 476.46 KiB | Viewed 2886 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 21:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Memories box set with ld-g subtitles in English

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-20h29m54s195.png
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-20h29m54s195.png [ 351.93 KiB | Viewed 2879 times ]

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-20h29m30s999.png
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-20h29m30s999.png [ 420.26 KiB | Viewed 2879 times ]

Attachment:
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-20h28m33s288.png
vlcsnap-2021-01-28-20h28m33s288.png [ 398.23 KiB | Viewed 2879 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2021, 23:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good stuff. Are those captured with Domesday? Did you get to try ALASS too?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 18:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

teddanson wrote:
Good stuff. Are those captured with Domesday? Did you get to try ALASS too?

yeh there just captured from my elgato 30 min job instead of 24hrs. the subs in the first post are timed with alass. took me a little while to get to grips with it but now i am flying and loving it so thanks for the link

ALan

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2021, 18:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That looks fantastic. I long ago lost the patience to set up stuff like that.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]