It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:37

Page 60 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2021, 08:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jakeheke wrote:
Im still yet to own let alone watch True Lies :lol: , i think its the first Home Release to have Dolby Digital AC-3?

First would actually be “Clear And Present Danger”. Not sure how much later “True Lies” came out but regardless it’s worth a listen on DD 5.1.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2021, 09:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Roughly the same timeframe,
Thanks for that info.
Thats what the forum is about :) thanks again ldfan
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021, 00:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

jakeheke wrote:
Im still yet to own let alone watch True Lies :lol:

Inexcusable!

Personally I find it one of the better looking titles on the format so you probably can't go wrong with any release.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021, 09:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Viewed "Pocketful of Miracles" by legendary Frank Capra.
Bette Davis had true sparkling eyes most memorable.

Great story in a way only Frank Capra could deliver....
Check it mates.....

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021, 12:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Bette Davis had true sparkling eyes most memorable.

Kim Carnes agrees. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 15:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I received my very first laserdisc player this week with a bunch of films. I won't keep them all, but have started going through them.
I've watched
Jungle Book
The Bear (seems to be suffering from disc rot on one side as it seems very streaky/smeary)
Boogie Nights (the documentary was really eye-opening)
Planning to watch Trainspotting tonight.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 23:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I bought and watched some new titles over the last few weeks:

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Disclosure
Cliffhanger
Blown Away

While not necessarily classics by any stretch -- man there were some great movies made in the early/mid 90s.

I've also popped in some of my all-time cult favorites:

The Towering Inferno (which is an amazing good good transfer)
Colossus: The Forbin Project

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2021, 04:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Love the "Forbin Project : Colossus"
Totally surreal science fiction......
Before the threat of Sky Net, there was COLOSSUS.....

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 01:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Today I watched Running On Empty, which looked really nice and side one of Mad City.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 21:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I watched some youtuber review the 1995 Fist of the North Star and I realized something.

The Laserdisc doesn't look bad because it's a poor transfer. The Laserdisc looks bad because the movie looks bad. The cinematography is all dark and murky and shot in low light and low contrast, something which just doesn't play nice with composite video.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 21:29 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

watched my second copy of Calfornia Girls which while not great is a lot better than the first copy I have. Also Robot Carnival isn't bad but now I need the BD of it. wish I had my laserdisc copy though since the picture is jumpy at times.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 15:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've tried once I finished David the Gnome which ends weirdly. Is Wisdom of the Gnomes which is hard to get into since I have never seen it before or familiar with it. It's kinda of annoying so I have stopped watching it. they didn't set up the world as well or why its about a judge. David was better even with its many flaws.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 00:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just got done watching Coming 2 America. Had a blast! LOTS of fan service here. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who was waiting for this film today, just to say if there are things you are hoping to see in it, it's all there.

Excellent fan service film, though probably not for anyone who didn't watch the original film way back first time round. A lot of it may be lost on some folks perhaps.

There's some ropey CG here too, oh and there is an omission, but i don't care. Everything I wanted to see in the film was here and I had a great time with it. I'll watch it again a few times in future but one thing is certain, it doesn't top the first film. You always knew that anyway, so it's not a let down.

Oh and keep watching after the end credits. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 16:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For reasons unknown, pulled the original Star Trek pilot "THE CAGE" out of the grotto.....

Bigwigs wanted to dump the series before it began i learned recently viewing a documentary about Leonard Nimoy.
They eneded up hiring new actors while keeping Spock and taking the actress playing captain Pike's "number 1" XO and demoting her to "RN Chapel" for the ongoing series.....

Enjoyed "The Cage", been decades since revisiting. Really enjoyed the story and different faces then used to from the ongoing series.

I was not born when it originally aired. Thank goodness they kept Roddenberry's project alive !
Thank you Lucille Ball for bankrolling the venture ! ! !

Long live the Tribbles !

Cheers to the membership

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 17:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Dragon Inn is a good film. I recently watched (being trying to watch Dreams lately but not in the mood-have seen it several times anyway) it and having forgotten what A touch of Zen was like which I need to rewatch but its in KY with most of my other criterions- I absolutely enjoyed it. King seems masterful and there needs to be more wuxia in the collection since I love Samurai flicks but those can get old and looking at Kurosawa the films I enjoy the most are more normal fare than Samurai. MY favorite director in the collection is Ozu but I have most if not all asian films save for several that I need to get.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2021, 09:49 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Deep Blue Sea 2 - not too too bad if you liked the first one.
Deep Blue Sea 3 - ok this one was absolute rubbish.
Anna - not too too bad if you like late Luc Besson films.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 13:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched The Thing last night for the first time. I have the film on Laserdisc, the Signature Series edition. Though I opted for the Blu Ray with the DTS HD MA track instead. Very pleased I went with the Blu as the audio track on it is absolutely sensational (even on my pokey little setup). The audio is so wide and varied yet so full. It's a real beefy track with some superb use of panning and excellent effects. I pulled out the Laserdisc to compare the audio on it and it holds up really well. To be honest I have the Laserdisc solely for the uncensored commentary track, got it on DVD too as there's a specific edition that has the uncensored track and all other editions are censored.

As for the film I enjoyed it a lot. It did lull a little in the middle for my liking, but I loved the how quickly the paranoia ramped up. I think the dog deserved an Oscar, what a superb animal and kudos to the trainer too because every move that dog made on camera was spot on. Wilford Brimley was awesome in it, I was disappointed that he didn't mention just once that he had Diabeeytus though. :cry:

The practical effects were the star of the show though, some of which hold up really well some 40 odd years later. Proof if any were needed that practical effects and good makeup can eclipse the shadow of CGI when done right. The ending was great too, it left a bit open to interpretation!

Great film. Not a five star stellar epic for me, but very close. And that minimal soundtrack by the way, I hope it won awards. Aside from the dog I think it was the star of the film. The sheer dread those simple low notes can conjour! It summed up the mood of the film perfectly. The paranoia, the dread, the fear, the tension, being cut off from civilization and so on. Brilliant stuff.

It's supposedly coming to 4K UHD in the first half of 2021. Day 1 purchase for me if it's been done correctly.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 22:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Watched The Thing last night for the first time. I have the film on Laserdisc, the Signature Series edition. Though I opted for the Blu Ray with the DTS HD MA track instead. Very pleased I went with the Blu as the audio track on it is absolutely sensational (even on my pokey little setup). The audio is so wide and varied yet so full. It's a real beefy track with some superb use of panning and excellent effects. I pulled out the Laserdisc to compare the audio on it and it holds up really well. To be honest I have the Laserdisc solely for the uncensored commentary track, got it on DVD too as there's a specific edition that has the uncensored track and all other editions are censored.

As for the film I enjoyed it a lot. It did lull a little in the middle for my liking, but I loved the how quickly the paranoia ramped up. I think the dog deserved an Oscar, what a superb animal and kudos to the trainer too because every move that dog made on camera was spot on. Wilford Brimley was awesome in it, I was disappointed that he didn't mention just once that he had Diabeeytus though. :cry:

The practical effects were the star of the show though, some of which hold up really well some 40 odd years later. Proof if any were needed that practical effects and good makeup can eclipse the shadow of CGI when done right. The ending was great too, it left a bit open to interpretation!

Great film. Not a five star stellar epic for me, but very close. And that minimal soundtrack by the way, I hope it won awards. Aside from the dog I think it was the star of the film. The sheer dread those simple low notes can conjour! It summed up the mood of the film perfectly. The paranoia, the dread, the fear, the tension, being cut off from civilization and so on. Brilliant stuff.

It's supposedly coming to 4K UHD in the first half of 2021. Day 1 purchase for me if it's been done correctly.

Opinion - One of several masterpiece works from the legendary John Carpenter.

He was renowned for doing his synthesizer soundtracks. His short bits on Escape from New York still inspire me.
A true creative titan.
Often wonder how he is aging and if he still has any mothballed projects ready for execution.....

Gonna need to revist THE THING .....

Thanks for the inspiration ....

Cheers to the membership.....

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 22:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That minimal synth track in The Thing is just brilliant. I had to change my underwear before the end of the opening sequence!

SPOILERISH STUFF AHEAD

After watching the film I had a look at an interview with Keith David. He makes a really interesting, speculative observation theat They Live could be viewed as an inadvertant sequel to The Thing. He's looking at it from the perspective that if the thing survived in Childs or MacReady that in They Live the thing is the next evolution. It's already here and inhabiting bodies. I thought that was a pretty cool observation, one I hadn't really thought about before.

I definitely urge folks to try out the Blu with the DTS HD MA track on it, it really is very good. Just bring a spare pair of pants for that utterly terrifying soundtrack. I can't heap enough praise on it and the beauty of how much despair it brings in such simplicity. It somehow reminded me of that scene in Westworld (the 70's classic, not the HBO nonsense) where Yul Brynner is chasing yer man down the long, deserted hallway and all you can here is his footsteps quickening up. If that was me being chased by a psychotic Yul Brynner android then POO WOULD COME OUT. Loved it.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 23:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, but I've read both stories that both these movies come from and both are great stories and films in their own.

The story for They Live, Eight O'Clock in the Morning was really well done cheap sci-fi and a great quick read, I think I need to pull that one off the shelf again
to read.

Who Goes There is just an all around classic and I've been meaning to read that one again too, last time I read it I was I believe 12 or 15 and need to revisit that one.

Carpenter was really able to know a good story from the early years of pulp sci-fi.

Page 60 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 76  Next