It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:30

Page 55 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2021, 23:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
That’s so half-assed for such a major show that’s already been on video multiple times.

It's a Starz/Anchor Bay release so that's a lot of it.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 01:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've decided that the first half of episode 25 of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross is on the short-list for my favorite 10-ish minutes of anime. I'll wrap in spoiler tags my thoughts on this magical example of concision in screenwriting, not that anyone should care about Macross spoilers in 2021:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The episode begins with Milia ambushing Max in the park at night with a knife and just failing to kill him. The mid-episode commercial break takes place during Max and Milia's wedding reception. In the context both of the episode and of the overarching plot of the show, it somehow completely works.

Not saying this episode is a towering cinematic achievement or anything (the animation in the knife fight is laughably bad even for TV, and Macross is pretty corny however you slice it), but this simply fills me with joy. When you think of TV anime you think of everything getting dragged out over as many episodes as possible, and endless will-they-or-won't-they when it comes to romance, so this just feels like a breath of fresh air. And I love how it plays as both a pretty funny joke and a legit development in the plot.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 02:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I can't tell you how many anime series I own and have owned but Macross is the only one I keep going back to watch again.

I think I've watched it 3 times now.
Really need to re-watch that again and also GE999, LOVE that series, if I had to chose all the anime TV series those are the only two in my book PERIOD.

EDIT: I forgot about Space Cobra, that would be the third series that is a must have for me, at least the first half.

Last edited by rein-o on 07 Feb 2021, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2021, 03:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
I've decided that the first half of episode 25 of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross is on the short-list for my favorite 10-ish minutes of anime. I'll wrap in spoiler tags my thoughts on this magical example of concision in screenwriting, not that anyone should care about Macross spoilers in 2021:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The episode begins with Milia ambushing Max in the park at night with a knife and just failing to kill him. The mid-episode commercial break takes place during Max and Milia's wedding reception. In the context both of the episode and of the overarching plot of the show, it somehow completely works.

Not saying this episode is a towering cinematic achievement or anything (the animation in the knife fight is laughably bad even for TV, and Macross is pretty corny however you slice it), but this simply fills me with joy. When you think of TV anime you think of everything getting dragged out over as many episodes as possible, and endless will-they-or-won't-they when it comes to romance, so this just feels like a breath of fresh air. And I love how it plays as both a pretty funny joke and a legit development in the plot.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Baby toss.

That is all.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 00:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Latest addition to the LD collection, Cowboy Bebop vol. 1-3. First time watching much of it in Japanese, and honestly I think I prefer the English voices, at least for the leads. Course, at least half the reason you watch Bebop is to blast the soundtrack. Picture looks great, just wish it was CAV. Haven't seen the other volumes for sale or bid anywhere yet, but I'm not in a hurry.

Seriously, this might be my favorite show. It's been called cool many times before, but that's such a huge understatement. Cool wishes it could be Cowboy Bebop.

EDIT:

takeshi666 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Baby toss.

That is all.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
"Say, Milia, could I hold Komilia for a bit?"

"If you want to hold a baby, why don't you make one of your own? I made this one."

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 02:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I guess I'm the one out of a million that may not care as much as others about cowboy, but I did watch it with English but did prefer the Japanese voice actors
as I pretty much do with all the anime I watch.

Now that there are 25 thousand releases of it I may have to pick it up again and try watching it subbed in Japanese, may prefer it, but probably won't :(

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 02:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It is simultaneously very good and overrated. I did like it quite a bit. Watanabe rarely misses.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 02:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I also prefer the English voices for this show but was never quite as sucked in by it’s coolness. A version of Cobra that is less anti-women is welcome...but we already have “soft” Lupin and to me “cool” has a different meaning. I think Poro Rosso is cool. Harlock, Ramba Ral, Melos, Nausicaa, Atom...Barney from 0080, poor Barney...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 03:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah, I can see the diminished appeal of Bebop if you're already familiar with Cobra and Lupin. I won't deny that its place in my hierarchy may well have been lower had it not been a key anime-gateway-drug for me. At a fairly impressionable age, I caught an episode of it on Adult Swim (Jupiter Jazz Part 2), and it was massively eye-opening. A real expansion of what animation could mean and be in my mind. Everything about it got etched into my brain except the name, so it was a good number of years later until I recognized it on the web and saw the rest.

So yeah, having seen a lot more anime now I know it isn't the be-all-end-all of TV shows. There are other shows that do each of its individual elements as well or better, but its particular blend of music, animation, character, mood, and style is simply exquisite.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 05:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bebop definitely had a coolness factor to it. It's basically Watanabe's take on Noir. The ending is great which isn't too common with anime either.

Porco Rosso is actually one of my favorite Ghibli movies. A great homage to war time cinema.

rcarlson wrote:
I miss the simplicity and no-fuss compatibility of CRTs (especially for games), but I can't say I miss the results when it comes to movies (and anime in particular).

This is from another thread but I think my continuation fits better here. Anyway yeah a lot of anime goes really well on blu ray even stuff that wasn't meant for it like Zeta Gundam (which was made for weekly tv consumption when all people had was CRTs) looks absolutely incredible.

There is however a fairly sizable portion that just does not look good and is best on smaller and quit possibly older displays. Of some stuff I watched recently Marmalade Boy, FotNS and The Law of Ueki would not look great on my projector. It's somewhat safe to say that would likely be the case for just about anything being put out on SDBD. My plasma is typically my go to for this kind of content.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 17:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Agree, I think the only anime that looks great on larger displays are either perfectly mastered TV series, which are few and far between.
And movies, even poorly animated OVA movies, any anime movies no matter mastering quality or anime quality look like you would have
been in Japan at the time going into a theater and watching it.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 17:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The Vision of Escaflowne. It's tempting to recommend Escaflowne with caveats; "It's an isekai, but...", "It's a romance, but...", "It's a mecha anime, but...", etc. I think this does a disservice to what's in truth a one-of-a-kind show. If anyone hasn't seen it, put genre and sub-genre out of your head and just watch it expecting a captivating, enchanting series.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 19:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rcarlson wrote:
The Vision of Escaflowne. It's tempting to recommend Escaflowne with caveats; "It's an isekai, but...", "It's a romance, but...", "It's a mecha anime, but...", etc. I think this does a disservice to what's in truth a one-of-a-kind show. If anyone hasn't seen it, put genre and sub-genre out of your head and just watch it expecting a captivating, enchanting series.

The soundtrack is amazing especially the movie but what bugs me how the title changes. Not in the show mind you but marketing. They just had Escaflowne for both the movie and TV Series at one point. Now it's back to Vision of Escaflowne and it is quite an epic vision. I love it. I listen to the soundtrack to the movie almost every night to fall asleep.

I just wish I could rewatch it but soon I hope to get my stuff out of storage its been too long.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 06:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The kid and I watched Porco Rosso for the last two nights. The display is Sony XBR960 wide HDCRT, the DVD player is a PS3, the LD player is a CLD-99.

On night one we watched a Disney DVD version, I think it was maybe a budget reprint. Its still two DVDs, but the cover is lame. The subtitle track is pretty good. The movie is crisp with the details being easy to see.

Tonight we watched Porco Rosso again on the remastered LD from Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection (1996) [TKLO-50180]. Like every disc in that set this is a huge upgrade from the original edition. While it was a bit softer everywhere the color contrast is honestly better than the DVD. Its so deep, it just sucks you in. Its similar to the saturated look of Princess Mononoke (1997) [TKLA-50300], which probably more people have and can compare it to. If you have a noisy player...not so much, but if you have really clean reds these discs of this era look fantastic. I think this DVD just sucks because I've been wowed by DVD before on this same setup. So...the DVD is lamer than the LD even though they used the same master or a newer one than the HD one they did for the box set? Did Disney remaster what Takuma Shoten had just done? Worse? Maybe.

Audio is way better on the LD as well. The DVD is 2.0 Dolby Digital which is a crap format and thins out the audio somewhat. I think they are both the same mix though and its really good, the crowd scenes in particular really surround you and the planes fly all around you and whatnot.

Verdict: The $1000 box set beats the $5 Target DVD.

The movie itself never gets old. The romance...THE ROMANCE! Of...everything, so great.

The conversation between Porco and Gina where she reveals her third pilot husband was confirmed dead, the subtle looks of the Blackshirts as Porco is being followed, the milky way of ghost planes, the extremely sentimental soundtrack, the whole family rebuilding Porco's plane, the amazing (sorta) fictional planes and their animation...the way this story only could have taken place in a period of like maybe three years max, it comes with its own built in nostalgia in a way....now that I'm twice the age I was when this movie came out the scenes of the characters flying as young teenagers...gets me misty eyed...

HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION.

If your really like it consider Miyazaki's short color manga that were originally done for Model Grafx magazine and were the origin of Porco. The art in these things is amazing...

They are collected in Hayao Miyazaki's Daydream Data Notes...which may be more than one book, I only have one.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 07:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Watched a good chunk of Cross Game because I miss baseball, and I really like what I've seen so far. This is a very emotionally tender show, but not to the point of being schmaltzy; for the most part it has a very nice balance of tones. And there are lots of subtleties in the character interactions - little, concise ways the writers convey the exact familiarity between characters whose families are close. That's the kind of thing I always love to see in writing.

Oh, and this is important: I'm glad nobody spoiled me on the first episode.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 07:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'll have to take another look at Porco Rosso.

Last time I saw it was late '90s in my anime club. At the time it was always deemed lesser than other Ghibli, just a throw away JAL in-flight movie, not even a serious real ghibli cinema release people would say.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 21:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's definitely worth a watch.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 01:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Fired up Ghost in the Shell on LD. Great LD, great movie.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 22:58 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

watched Crest of the Stars and now I'm on Banner disc 2 i think that's episode 6

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 00:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Been getting back into City Hunter. Watching a couple episodes before bed on the projector most nights.

Page 55 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 64  Next