It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:34

Page 3 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project A-Ko Blu ray remaster is using Domesday LD captu
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2020, 16:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It was the still shot of the blonde girl if you roll down a little there was a massive zoom to show.

Those have been so altered, but its done.
now they can buy to-y and remaster that one, need to get all copies to remove those horrible dropouts :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 02:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
It was the still shot of the blonde girl if you roll down a little there was a massive zoom to show.

Those have been so altered, but its done.
now they can buy to-y and remaster that one, need to get all copies to remove those horrible dropouts :mrgreen:

I would be blown away if we ever got to-y or anything on that level of obscurity that was a one off. Even by Discotek standards those would be poor sellers.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 03:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t know. You may just have to build the right hype train. Back in my day To-y was somewhat famous in con circles...although mostly for a fandub of it called Anime Sucks that made the story about Morrissey vs Pearl Jam.

Sadly if the LD is $1000-15000 per they’ll never be able to do it as sourcing multiple copies would exceed the budget of a new OVA.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 16:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well I'm not here to make discotek another million, they are worth a lot of money.
They are for profit otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they do.

Would like to see the fandub of Anime Sucks.

Sort of odd why the Yoji gets punched right in the beginning by To-y.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 19:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I mentioned this before but some of their lower sellers were under 1k copies. That's part of why the prices are higher and don't go on fire sales. Obviously other things sell better. Lupin helps them a lot I'm sure. I'm just glad to be able to have some of this stuff. Fist of the North Star finally released in it's entirety, Galaxy Express 999 being obtainable, KOR no longer costing hundreds of dollars and being in HD for the first time the list goes on and on. SDBD for content that doesn't upscale well is a boon too. There is a big difference between a well made SDBD and a poor one. I would not judge SDBD on say, that Votoms set lol. I have direct compared some of their SDBD sets to old DVDs and it is a noticeable improvement. I don't get nearly everything they put out, but I'm glad for every old anime that gets new life whether it's Discotek, Sentai, Rightstuf house brands etc

The cost of a To-y LD is definitely a detriment. They could probably make the numbers work if they didn't have to deal with that.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 21:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Well I'm not here to make discotek another million, they are worth a lot of money.
They are for profit otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they do.

Would like to see the fandub of Anime Sucks.

Sort of odd why the Yoji gets punched right in the beginning by To-y.

The margins you expect are way beyond that of an actual company. Any company looking for your idea of a payday would crash into the sea, straight to the bottom under the weight of its investments. Discotek is a company...it has a name...but it isn’t Bandai Visual, it’s puny. Regardless of size, how much money do you think they net from selling 1000 DVDs for $25 each? It’s probably about a weeks pay, which is about how long they spend having the same guy master everything. I’d bet a lot of these projects are licensed, manufactured, and eventually discontinued for less than $80,000 changing hands, especially those properties that seem to have come free in package deals. If you think there’s some Ferrari driving millionaire kingpin running Discotek you’re nuts. It’s basically a garage sale. We probably have better collections than they do, except that ANN guy.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

They are worth millions, my last two jobs were super small and they were netting over 2. each.
discotek is much larger than that so just look with your eyes and know what's going on and you can see they are making money.
If they aren't then they are doing a lot wrong.

do you think they are getting copyrights to these anime for free???? Or paying a few hundred bucks?????
then you are clearly wrong and they can afford to pay cbs for the LDs and rights and I'll still have my paperweight.

I really don't care if anybody buys it from me, make an offer or message me but no matter i still own it.

Remember zeta the place you work at is for profit also, i know it hurts you but we are all for profit, even your bank.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have no doubt they are making money but it's probably not as much as some people think. Did you guys see the leaked info on licenses and what ADV paid for them? I would imagine by working with older content (in some cases Japan cares SO LITTLE that Discotek is releasing the first BD of it anywhere in the world including Japan) that most of their licensing fees aren't that bad but it's difficult to make money with a large amount of anime. Hanasakeru Seishounen is a fantastic anime that reminds me good things are still being made but I doubt they made much on it at all.

I would expect that A-Ko will make them a fair bit of money, seems to be quite popular plus they get the double dip from many people having already released it on DVD. That's something which won't be a thing in the future, as they have abandoned DVD completely. They even reiterated that on their twitter recently.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 23:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
They are worth millions, my last two jobs were super small and they were netting over 2. each.
discotek is much larger than that so just look with your eyes and know what's going on and you can see they are making money.
If they aren't then they are doing a lot wrong.

do you think they are getting copyrights to these anime for free???? Or paying a few hundred bucks?????
then you are clearly wrong and they can afford to pay cbs for the LDs and rights and I'll still have my paperweight.

I really don't care if anybody buys it from me, make an offer or message me but no matter i still own it.

Remember zeta the place you work at is for profit also, i know it hurts you but we are all for profit, even your bank.

Yes, even my bank! Hahaha! I’d say especially my bank, it’s a bank. I am not a bank though, neither are you, so it’s embarrassing to see you pretend to be a power dealer.

In some cases, yes, I’m sure they got a license or two for literally free.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 02:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I was at a licensing show once, no license copyrights are free.

Only thing you get free are some stickers and bags.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 03:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

They sourced the original 35mm masters. HOT DAMN.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 05:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Someone who isn’t a member just texted me this info not 15 min ago.

I don’t know anything else though.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 05:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
I was at a licensing show once, no license copyrights are free.

Only thing you get free are some stickers and bags.

Individually yes, but gangs like Discotek buy them in bunches and while specific cases elude me, yes, they do get licenses for free on occasion.

As in, you want Cowboy Beebop? Well we want $100,000 plus points. Ok, how about $100,000 for Beebop and we throw in The Humanoid and M-66? No, how about $100,000, The Humanoid, M-66, and rights to local versions of the soundtrack Beebop? Plus points. We gotta have the points because you’re going to sell a million copies of this, right?

That kind of thing. It happens all the time. The licenser wants a main thing and the pot is sweetened with garbage, pretty much. The licensee just wants to stay in business and is trying to give as little as possible to get needed money. However some stuff is just worthless so it may not be individually acquired.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 07:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Fantastic news. Here is a sample of the 35mm scan. Apparently the animators left little jokes on the negatives too?

Looks amazing. Getting the BD for sure. Hopefully a 4K release will be made too.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 14:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

But that's if you are buying, hey throw something in to sweeten the deal.

You go and ask for the rights to black magic and say please, you won't even get into the lobby with that one.

Actually I still have the astroboy bag I got for free from the licensing show I went to years ago, was going to put it on ebay soon.
It was very cool and they were trying to pitch their new version of a show with all computer graphics, but I don't think it ever got off the presentation board idea.
That's all they had, the bag and boards, bag was free with I think a pencil too.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 16:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:
Fantastic news. Here is a sample of the 35mm scan. Apparently the animators left little jokes on the negatives too?

Looks amazing. Getting the BD for sure. Hopefully a 4K release will be made too.

Yep, that is for sure not from an LD. :)

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 17:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I didn't notice at first that it is a 4K scan and a 4K video. Surely this one will get the full fat, full beans, UHD treatment? Perhaps a little smattering of HDR too?

I hope there will be a 4K release. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 19:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For anyone that didn't read up on this, it has apparently been available to whole time but a clerical error prevented it from being searchable. Somehow Robert Woodhead discovered it.

And yeah, they should def do 4k.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 19:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Imagine going through the effort and expense of restoring the film from a Laserdisc copy only for the film print to suddenly turn up. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 07:21 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Imagine going through the effort and expense of restoring the film from a Laserdisc copy only for the film print to suddenly turn up. :mrgreen:

Almost feels like a bait & switch doesn't it? But It's hard to say who the victim was. :crazy:

I'd still like to actually see the quality of a professionally mastered Doomsday rip, and half expect the reason why Discotek was willing to fund this in the first place was because they have other titles licensed and in the pipeline that they will have to use the Doomsday process on.

Also begs the question of "Will other publishers follow suite?", which I hope they do. I have serious questions surrounding the likes of Sentai as my prime example, seeing as they've taken to licensing an older analog-era title here & there in recent years, most of which have gotten proper digital remastering from the studios. But then, as some noted in other topics, they did a extremely limited release of Blue Gale Xabungle which was criticized for looking like a poorly executed LD transfer. So while I have stated skepticism over utilizing the Doomsday ripper for creating a "HD" source good enough to put on a Blu-Ray, I was secretly hoping for a notable enough quality that Discotek's competitors would be forced to take notice and follow suite for any such titles they license in future.

Page 3 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next