It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:08

Page 1 of 4 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Macross News
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 01:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 5301676032

This is MASSIVE. We could see US releases again.

Post subject: Re: Macross News
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 01:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/macross-se ... exclusive/

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 01:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you're a true Macross fan you already have the shows you need.

I have my "perfect collection" of the stuff I consider canon on the most pure format already.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 01:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wonder if now would be a good time to ditch the old ADV releases while they're still worth something :think:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 01:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The only thing I love about that set is the Egan Loo liner notes. I guess I could scan those..

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 02:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well there's something I never thought would happen. This is kind of like the anime equivalent of the Good Friday Agreement.

Fingers crossed for Macross Plus and DYRL on blu-ray over here. Definitely looking forward to DYRL subtitles that aren't fansubs. Or dare I say it, a new dub?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 03:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
Well there's something I never thought would happen. This is kind of like the anime equivalent of the Good Friday Agreement.

Fingers crossed for Macross Plus and DYRL on blu-ray over here. Definitely looking forward to DYRL subtitles that aren't fansubs. Or dare I say it, a new dub?

Considering this is still Harmony Gold we're talking about, I'm honestly not keeping my hopes up.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 03:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:

What's wrong with fansubs? Often more accurate than official ones.

There are excellent DVD transfers with subs that have been available for years out of Hong Kong.

I have 5 versions of the movie. The best one is still easily the CAV Perfect Edition LD box, the first LD title I ever bought in 2000. The next best is the Hong Kong DVD by a company called "fx". The Japanese blu ray is cut for violence. The Japanese DVD was scrubbed for grain. The ultimate for non Japanese speakers is still the CAV LD with overlayed fansubs. I doubt Harmony Gold is going to do better than any of these.

Then again did Japan get a DRYL? UHD yet? I've been very impressed with UHD so far, unlike blu ray which totally never blew me away.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 04:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
What's wrong with fansubs? Often more accurate than official ones.

I definitely prefer JoJo fansubs to the official, copyright-safe ones.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 06:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I don't know how deep of a discussion on fansubs we want to get into, but my general issue with them is that they tend to prioritize literal translation over readability in English and conveyance of personality and character. Some groups are better than others, and I appreciate the ones for shows that have either no official translation or seriously compromised official translations, but on the whole I'll take the body of official subs I've watched over the body of fansubs I've watched.

Anyway, I hope in a few years my Japanese comprehension is good enough that I don't have to have an opinion on sub preferences anymore for most shows.

And I'd still want that DYRL blu-ray. To my knowledge there are only two altered shots, and if fansubs are already on the table there's nothing wrong with ripping the video, editing in the best available uncensored footage, and re-encoding. That'd probably give you the best version of the movie possible at present. That said, I do have that Perfect Edition LD and it's pretty damn great.

Don't believe there's any UHD of DYRL. Akira and GitS have them, though both have real bone-headed problems with their US releases. GitS inexplicably used the dub end credits on the Japanese audio track (a problem my US blu-ray didn't have), and most inexplicably of all Funimation's Akira UHD didn't have HDR at launch. They haven't sent me that replacement disc yet, either...

Perhaps we can all agree on this: most things kinda suck. :D

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 14:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t known exactly why I should care about this. Until Harmony Gold is DEAD and no longer influencing Macross in any way there will be many unhappy fans. If anything this seems like a loss.

Anyone who “can’t get” DYRL has had 35 years to try. I can’t pretend that’s relevant. The real issue, IMO, is all the gross Robotech crap still clogging American store shelves and the real stuff from Bandai, Hasegawa, whoever is grey market and therefore always harder to find and more expensive. In 2021 Target has High Grade Gundam models, as well as high quality Godzilla stuff and a ton of other crap. Target. If not for HG there will be Macross stuff right next to it but the way this reads...now it will be and we’ll be able thank HG for it? Backwards! HG is not our friend. Big West “recognizing” HG is defeat. The bad guy won. Enjoy whatever f-ed up Blu-ray they release...now at the end of home media. They missed the ENTIRE anime DVD boom.

I have copies of all this stuff, I have for ages, I don’t care. Screw Harmony Gold forever.

Last edited by signofzeta on 09 Apr 2021, 15:45, edited 2 times in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 14:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i'm crossing my fingers. it would be awfully nice to see honest-to-god MACROSS video and merchandising freely available worldwide once and for all.

imagine seeing these, for instance, openly available at your local specialty shop, -if not your local BARNES AND NOBLE or the like- and tell me that it wouldn't be a big deal;

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 15:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Compared to we missed, what’s gone forever, I can’t care. Especially since they put those bizzare Five Star Stories looking tweezer hands on the new VF toys (looks like they put 1/72 hands on a 1/48 model and then just heated them up with a lighter and stretched them...) and they cost hundreds of dollars each...and that all of Macross has been available world-wide since Torrents were invented.

What has actually happened: the anime industry has collapsed the point where Big West has capitulated to HG and will give them a cut of something they don’t deserve. That toy you like so much? Now you will maybe be able to buy a USDM version but HG gets a cut because they have better lawyers. Gross. Or it could be even more worse. They may just rebadge the Toynami garbage as Macross. :)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 16:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have the movie and series on LD and also bootleg of the DVD with subs, I've seen it so many times I know what's going to happen so I can
watch raw or with subs.

I bought that DYRL box set new d this had a premium, can't buy the film again when now I
have the ssa subs and have yet to watch it on LD with them. Need to setup a monitor under the projector and enjoy or just watch raw.

Last edited by rein-o on 16 Dec 2023, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 01:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Get that CS-450!!! Overlayed subs are so much better. You still looking?

I feel like I'm harping on it so much but I love it so much and the 450 has gotten me through a lot of Kurosawa and Takeshi Kitano stuff I never would have been able to decipher, not to mention my L-Gaim boxes which, like most mecha anime has some REALLY THICK male tough/old guy Japanese slurring going on. Yeah I can watch DYRL without subs by now too but the subs give me a sense of reassurance I'm not missing anything.

Looks like Zeta and I are on the same page for once. If HG release a new build LD player, call me.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 03:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Been doing other stuff and focusing on other stuff, after my last TVone purchase that was DOA and reading from Gypsy I'm a little gunshy on getting another one.

I have my old computer downstairs and have the computer monitor wired under the TV but haven't had time to connect and run it.
I will get it done one day and then look into the possibility of the genlock again soon.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 10:49 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I might be odd but I've not seen much though what I did like the most was PLUS oav and movie. Though I think I am done buying stuff unless I really want it and to keep it so I might skip this.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 13:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Macross Plus is just wonderful in either Film or OAV partwork form.

I have the two Demon CD's that were released. I'd like to get the Sharon Apple album Cream Puf too. Yoko Kanno is one of the very best.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 17:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I love that Cream Puf EP. Yoko Kanno really is amazing.

I’m a casual fan of Plus. The character designs kind of suck, brain powered planes that melt the minds of pilots are a dumb idea, the testosterone level is MAD, etc. It’s a total gaiden. You could have called it something original, or Gundam or whatever and nobody would know the difference. It’s not really Macross, it’s just Macross compatible. The music is AAA, a lot of the animation is too, the concert scenes are fantastic. For all my complaints I’ll take it over Zero any day. Zero was so off track it felt like an American made it.

The only version of Plus I have is the movie LD with the trick cover. IIRC there are scenes exclusive to each version that sort of make both the series and the movie versions worth owning for the true maniac but I can’t remember what the details are.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 20:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I had all 3 dvds and knew the scenes but now I don't remember squat. Had the CD as well it is great one of the reasons I enjoyed it so well.

Page 1 of 4 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next