Hardcore fan

Have you replaced belt?

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D704 CD Stuck with Buzzing Noise
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 17:24 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
Have you replaced belt?

I have not been able to replace the belt since the laserdisc is currently stuck in the unit. I am unable to get it out as I can't force the tray to open. Also, in terms of replacements, is it quite easy to find a replacement on eBay?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 21:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

SCQ3.8 from Marvac (they sell on eBay too).

You can manually eject the tray by turning the pulley the belt wraps around.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 22:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:

Appreciate the help! I have tried to manually eject the tray but I am having a hard time getting at that pulling with the tray and laserdisc still in the unit. I have the AC3 board unscrewed and still don’t see how to get access to that pulley.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 23:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

With top board removed, you should be able to get to it. This is just going off memory though. You can see the pulley here: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=112893#p112893

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2021, 03:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
With top board removed, you should be able to get to it. This is just going off memory though. You can see the pulley here: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=112893#p112893

I am incredibly sorry to continue bothering you but with the top board removed, I am still unable to get the tray removed. I am unable to see anything under the tray, which includes the loading belt. When feeling under the tray, I can feel the smaller of the two pulleys and when I spin it, I get no response. Any other ways to go at this?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2021, 04:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

See this pic and note the red arrow.....

You need to lift the top board away and then use your finger to feel for the belt assembly that is under the tray. Turning it several turns (not sure which direction) should free up the tray.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 05:45 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
See this pic and note the red arrow.....

You need to lift the top board away and then use your finger to feel for the belt assembly that is under the tray. Turning it several turns (not sure which direction) should free up the tray.

So I was able to locate the smaller of the two pulleys because the larger one is located under the tray currently. I tried turning the belt/pulley each way numerous times and I was not able to get the tray out. I would love to hear any additional suggestions as to how to get his tray out. As always, I really appreciate all the help thus far.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D704] CD Stuck with Buzzing Noise
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 09:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What position is the laser assembly right now?

I believe it should be closer to the spindle motor and needs to be lowered in order for the tray to allow a retraction. I never worked on my units in this manner so I can’t say for certain how to lower the laser assembly.

Last edited by ldfan on 27 Apr 2021, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 12:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cplusplus wrote:

Here's a suggestion; you might wanna get a few extra ones in slightly smaller size(s); my player is also specced for SCQ3.8 but when I replaced it the problem just returned after a week or two, but after I put in a SCQ3.6 (or maybe it was 3.5? I can't remember) I haven't had any issues with it since.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 14:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

luckyseven wrote:
I tried turning the belt/pulley each way numerous times and I was not able to get the tray out.

It takes a ton of turns. Don't force it though if it begins to become hard to turn. Start spinning other way.
takeshi666 wrote:
Here's a suggestion; you might wanna get a few extra ones in slightly smaller size(s); my player is also specced for SCQ3.8 but when I replaced it the problem just returned after a week or two, but after I put in a SCQ3.6 (or maybe it was 3.5? I can't remember) I haven't had any issues with it since.

Interesting. I swapped from SCQ3.6 to SCQ3.8. I wish they made a SCQ3.7.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 17:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
luckyseven wrote:
I tried turning the belt/pulley each way numerous times and I was not able to get the tray out.

It takes a ton of turns. Don't force it though if it begins to become hard to turn. Start spinning other way.
takeshi666 wrote:

Interesting. I swapped from SCQ3.6 to SCQ3.8. I wish they made a SCQ3.7.

So I was finally able to release the tray after taking a little more time to play around with the belt/pulley. I have removed the existing belt and have ordered both an SCQ3.6 and an SCQ3.8 from MarVac and am hoping to receive that by the end of the week. At this time, I have the belt removed and simply slid the tray back into position until I receive those belts. I am really looking forward to fixing this thing up and getting it back to where I had it!

I'd like to thank both of you for all of your help as I would have been completely lost without both of you. I'll be sure to keep you updated once I receive those belts!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 17:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
What position if the laser assembly right now?

I believe it should be closer to the spindle motor and needs to be lowered in order for the tray to allow a retraction. I never worked on my units in this manner so I can’t say for certain how to lower the laser assembly.

You were 100% correct about the laser being in the incorrect position. As I moved the belt/pulley system, the laser mechanism dropped into place and eventually allowed the tray to release out. I am currently waiting on replacement belts from MarVac and will let you know the final result once I change those belts in!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 17:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Sorry to post three replies in such a short timeframe, but while I have everything opened up, is there any additional small things I can do to ensure that I can keep this thing running as long as possible?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2021, 07:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Not really a whole lot.

You could regrease the moving parts and oil up the sled but it wouldn't really be necessary unless you were having playback / loading issues.

Most important thing (especially on the 703/704) is to try not to stack anything heavy on them as these are lighter weight chassis' compared to their older sisters and can create enough flex to compromise their alignment. Also, I understand from other posters that the spindle motors seem to give out more on these units (not sure if it has something to do w/ playing CAV discs but that has been mentioned).

In any case, the best way to ensure longevity in the hobby is to really just have more than one working player and if possible keep spare parts machines around when you might need them. I also rotate my players around so no one machine is getting a lot of wear and tear.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 18:34 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

So I was able to put the 3.8 belt in and I am getting no response from the machine. When I hit the eject button to close the tray, it shows "open" on the screen. Then when I go to close it, it says "close" on the screen but there is no response on the tray. The tray is still currently stuck in the out position because of this. Is there anything else I should be looking at here?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 18:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Do you hear the hum of the loading motor turn as you press the eject button?

Also, you mentioned in the past that your friend indicated worn gears. Do you know specially what gear in particular?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 18:58 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
Do you hear the hum of the loading motor turn as you press the eject button?

Also, you mentioned in the past that your friend indicated worn gears. Do you know specially what gear in particular?

The specific gear was not mentioned. I did not hear any motor humming as I was pressing the eject button. In fact, the machine was silent. While my friend did mention worn gears, I was able to get the unit working just out of chance after I received it from him. As I said in my original post, I was able to play multiple CDs and when side B of a laser disc was finished and I went to eject the disc, this is when I ran into problems. This made me think that the gears were in fact still working properly, but please let me know if I am incorrect in assuming that.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 19:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you don't hear that motor making any noise, I would think there is some disconnect between it and what drives it. Not sure if you can find a red and black wire coming out of the motor that connects back to board somewhere to see if it got disconnected.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics that may or may not help in comparing what the gearing should look like with my unit....

Image w/ the tray removed.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 20:02 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
If you don't hear that motor making any noise, I would think there is some disconnect between it and what drives it. Not sure if you can find a red and black wire coming out of the motor that connects back to board somewhere to see if it got disconnected.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics that may or may not help in comparing what the gearing should look like with my unit....

Image w/ the tray removed.

So I was able to take another look and I did not see a BLACK and red wire. However, I did see multiple grey and red wires coming from the area you mentioned and all appear to be connected based on feel and look. I have attached a couple of photos below that may help give everyone a better idea of what I am working with. I currently have the belt off in order to easily move the tray in and out of the unit. If any additional pictures are needed, please feel free to let me know!

AC3 side of pulley

Close up of gears

Page 2 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next