It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:13

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lensman the movie what's up with the prices now
PostPosted: 08 May 2021, 02:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK I know the entire story of the film, Doc Smith estate, read about it, knew about it when fools thought the story came
after Star Wars etc etc etc esq.

But why is the film of this going for so much, I sort of remember when this was super easy to find copies of at Tower Video,
almost as easily as song of the south but this was anime and nobody wanted it then.

Last time I bought a copy, yes I've bought and sold this film a few times as I didn't care that much about it then remembered
about it and picked it up, but when I sold it many years ago I think I got 20 or 30 bucks, I found a copy super cheap for 15
but why is it reaching over 60 and up for either Japanese or USA versions.

I was going to upgrade or sidegrade my copy from the Japanese to USA LD due to the audio of the dub but when I caught
a few minutes of it streaming the voice actors are just atrocious to say the least.

Anyway on my allergy meds now so I hope part of this makes as much sense as all my other posts.

Post subject: Re: Lensman the movie what's up with the prices now
PostPosted: 08 May 2021, 20:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I wonder if this is part of the trend toward impressively higher prices in general on USA anime LD releases.

examples:
Maris the Chojo, ended at $125 with 33 bids
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324569472423

Other stuff like Devil Hunter Yohko for like $100, a sealed Animeigo UY movie sold for some crazy amount like $150 (both of these only had 1 bid). Vampire Hunter D is pricey for the Lumivision Streamline LD. Inflation hasn't helped either.

PostPosted: 08 May 2021, 21:39 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Ebay always has high prices for anime Laserdiscs. Sometimes you can get a reasonable deal. But it isn't the norm. Also condition is everything discs that are like a 9 or 10 grade, sealed or have the original OBI always go for more.

The Yohko disc is rare for the American release, not so much the Japanese ones. The same for the Mega UY set from Animeigo.

A hundred bucks for a gem mint Akira Criterion Collection CAV isn't out of the question either. I saw a sealed copy go for a hundred and fifty dollars.

Lensman has never been on DVD in North America or Japan.

It will never have another release due to the rights issues with the Smith estate. Their intense dislike for the movie, its liberties taken with the source material.

But you could get the VHS for a lot less. If you want that Streamline dub, its pretty terrible.

PostPosted: 08 May 2021, 23:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, I know the estate deal, read about it.

I know the ebay market now, its super up in the air, someday you get someone to spend stupid money next week nothing.

Harlock is I think right about the trend of higher prices, but then again I've seen a lot of different LDs going stupid for some odd reason.
Even seen the JP box of Akira for stupid money, when I sold mine over 4 years ago for 200 I thought I cashed in but YJ is asking over 500.

VHS isn't worth the risk for me that's why I stay away from them, hated them when I was a kid and can't even look at them now.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 07:40 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Japan is no different:

JPY 20,000 ($185) for Lensman: LD Special (1984) [PCLP-00074]
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b511671065

JPY 7,000 ($65) for the first Analog-CX release SF Shinseiki Lensman (1984) [G78F0020]
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l664727462

Julien

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 08:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Blimey. Glad I purchased a copy a good while back. Just need to capture it now and add the subtitles. One day...

Oh for a modern genlock solution!

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 14:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I bought this disc new from Camelot Music, probably in 92 or 93. I would have rather had some other anime but they only stocked so much. The animation is 80s Japan theatrical grade, which is to say very solid. It rarely blows you away, it’s just really consistently quality. The CG sections that once (I assume?) seemed so high tech have since dated horribly. But now that Beast Wars and Reboot and all the lumpy 60fps crap like it has been gone for ages...the CG seems to slightly un-date itself...slightly...if that makes any sense. The cel stuff is of course the highlight. The dub is as good or bad as any other Streamline dub which is to say better than most for the time and MUCH better than what would come in the next few years when dubbing exploded like a backed up bowel from the likes of CPM, ADV, and even Viz. The actual sound quality...well, it’s been through Carl Macek’s Portastudio or whatever they used. It mono, it’s quiet. there is a load of hiss. The JP track is great though and the video seems fine as well. I like some of the music a LOT.

It seems like it may never be reprinted again and that’s probably a trivia factoid that modern Facebook noobs have decided collectively in their collective collectardation makes it worth $$$. However for anyone certain of its eternal scarcity I may remind you of all the OVAs that have or are soon seeing HD scans after 30 years of LD-only release or crap DVDs made on PCs from LD masters. I would also point out that unless James Cameron or Disney or someone decides to revitalize E.E. Doc Smith’s fandom I doubt the estate will be so stubborn generation after generation. They’d make as much money from a Blu-ray of this (admittedly, extremely liberally messed with) movie as they’d get from a deluxe reprint of Skylark of Space in 2021 because I’m pretty sure almost nobody under the age of 30 has ever read one of his books...and I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. I appreciate WHAT happens in those books but the actual writing and character development is stiff lifeless and bad.

To me the movie is far from worthless so I’m keeping it. Someone bump this thread if it starts going for $800+ but I doubt we’ll see that.

Last edited by signofzeta on 12 May 2021, 23:56, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 15:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’m pretty sure almost nobody under the age of 30 has ever read one of his books

Tailored the above to fit. :oops:

I bought all of his Lensman books in one lot about a year or so ago. I think they are all first edition as well, I'd need to check. I haven't gotten round to reading them yet as my book backlog is huge (but I'm ploughing through it!). I will read them though. No point buying stuff just to clutter your home, waste of time!

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 18:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve read most or all of them. I had paperback versions from the 60s/70s. I’ve seen worse adaptations.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 19:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

there were books? I 've only seen it once on VHS i think. I probably should have kept it now.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 20:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
and I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. I appreciate WHAT happens in those books but the actual writing and character development is stiff lifeless and bad.

To me the movie is far from worthless so I’m keeping it. Someone bump this thread if it starts going for $800+ but I doubt we’ll see that.

This is putting the books nicely, must be zeta is losing his touch :think:
The concept of these books are great but it pretty much fails there, maybe another reason why the estate won't let it come out :think: .

I love the film, but had a time where I sold off the disc and then bought it again after 10 years.
I'll just run the subs under my TV on my computer monitor...... one day...........

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 22:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
there were books? I 've only seen it once on VHS i think. I probably should have kept it now.

The Lensman series is from the 1930s and was sort of a pioneer in developing sci-fi cliches like a multi-planetary police system and huge ship to ship space battles. It was important at the time but it’s not very deep on characters or philosophy. The never would never have been a Aim for the Top! Gunbuster without Lensman but it’s pretty pulpy.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]