It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:40

Page 1 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: eBay to phase out Paypal for Payoneer?
PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 04:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had never heard of Payoneer until today when eBay sent me a notification that they will "simplify" (usually that means "make it easier to charge you fees and increase our control over you") eBay payments.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210504005184/en/Payoneer-Announces-Agreement-with-eBay
https://www.payoneer.com/solutions/marketplaces-networks/ebay-payout/
https://www.finextra.com/pressarticle/87427/payoneer-forges-payments-partnership-with-ebay

They make the same claim that Paypal initially made: payments from Payoneer to Payoneer accounts are free (that didn't last long for Paypal to reverse this!).

But then withdrawing USD to bank is $1.50 (free on Paypal).
Credit card payments are 3% (about the 2.9%+$0.30 Paypal US domestic, 3.9%+$0.30 "cross-border").
Payment for a eBay sale will be delivered 2 business days after the transaction (instant on Paypal).
You don't pay your fees on a monthly case, they take it directly from the payment.

Welcome to the eBay gated universe where eBay controls everything.
Good luck to fight against dishonest sellers when eBay already made their fees!

I'm not opting in for this racketeering. If it becomes mandatory, I'll stop selling over eBay.

Julien

Post subject: Re: eBay to phase out Paypal for Payoneer?
PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 09:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a mail from ebay.de that says if I do not convert to the new payment system I will not be able to sell anything
anymore after may 28th - and I assume all my currently online auctions will be removed on that very day as well.
They enforce a new payment system "for more security", all payments are now made to ebay, they will then sent you
a notification that the item has been paid and can be shipped, but it will take several more days until you receive the
payment from ebay minus the fees, and of course the fees will increase for this amazing service. There has been quite
some unrest in forums about this and folks saying "I will never sell anything on ebay again" but I'm thinking everyone
upset (including me) will go back to ebay sooner or later because it is the platform with the most successful sales after
all... We will see.

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 11:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Great. If sellers don't sell on ebay buying niche foreign items will just become harder and harder for me.

Ebay stop screwing your sellers. But they won't since they know their position.

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 11:57 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

weird I haven't gotten anything though I've not sold anything on ebay for awhile due to various things. I was planning to restart next year or so. will watch this.

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 13:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I rarely sell on eBay. I did a bunch of stuff a few years ago and I was disappointed at how much $ was eaten up in fees. Almost %30, it seemed like. Also the part where they tell you how much it will cost to ship something regardless of what it is, totally ignoring what boxes and packing material costs.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 15:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Reverb has been doing this since I signed up over 4 years ago.

You need to know the rules of the game so you can play around it, people in government have been doing this for years you need to learn.
When you sell you post over on weight, I post an LD at almost 3.5 pounds and I only get to make a whopping .30 cents on shipping.

I believe your Payoneer is due to being overseas and not in the USA.
My payment options are now just like reverb, they deposit directly into my account, its not great but stop crying about fees.
Where else are you going to sell your stuff for 10X the cost, I saw your gatchaman stamps, other were selling them for 10 and you had them for 40 or 50
and were selling them.....

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 16:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rein-o wrote:
My payment options are now just like reverb, they deposit directly into my account, its not great but stop crying about fees.
Where else are you going to sell your stuff for 10X the cost, I saw your gatchaman stamps, other were selling them for 10 and you had them for 40 or 50
and were selling them.....

I didn't complain about eBay fees, but about the way they are closing the eco-system to their advantage.

The stamps sold for $20 shipping included.
You must have seen someone else :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 16:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I like that the 180 day refund window has been shortened to 30 with PayPal out of the picture.

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 16:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

admin wrote:
I didn't complain about eBay fees, but about the way they are closing the eco-system to their advantage.

They closed that eco system international selling about 6 or so years ago.
I used to sell 60-80% of my stuff overseas now I'm lucky to sell 1%

My one account only has about a 2-4% sell rate per month, used to sell 95% each month of listing.

I have 3 accounts over 2 platforms and sell 60-75% less than when I just had 1 ebay account.

Loss of international sales, free shipping from massive power sellers on ebay that sell normal junk.
I bought a book from a seller on ebay and it took me a few minutes to actually fathom how many feedback they had.

How can you meet or beat any sales that a seller with this much feedback 9695082
Their stuff is always going to be first.
I don't mind the fees, they nail you but then again I had different options over the years of selling stuff, all take a minimum of 15%
sales fees then there are issues like rent etc and you just don't have the traffic that ebay or reverb has.

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 17:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

eBay has been wanting to get away from Paypal for awhile. I had already practically quit selling there for a number of reasons. By and large I don't need the added audience for most things.

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 11:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The problem with eBay is that is used to be a hobby. It used to be for people who had a job. Now the trailer people and Comic-Con carnies have taken it over and it it is a job, their job, and the casual sellers will find it much less worth their time. I have lots of stuff I would put up on eBay but it’s pointless. The gouging, the drama, the changing policies, the ridged semi-auto nature of it, the “offers” and the stupid fees mean I’m sitting around taking pictures and buying tape and answering the STUPIDEST emails for people so I can hopefully not lose money on something I just wanted to get rid off. It’s just not worth a busy persons time anymore unless it’s at least a $100 item and that’s pushing it because...do I really need $60 (all I’ll net) or do I need my time?

I buy on eBay like crazy.

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 15:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well I can tell you now that if anybody ever asks a question they will never bid or buy, in my experience its 99.9% tire kickers with no bids or offers, so
any question is pretty much a waste of time.

I disagree, it used to be the other way around, you could make good money on ebay, even buying stuff directly off of ebay and selling it the next week
after you received it, but in the past 7 years is when it really changed that you do it part time and have a real job on the side.
But then again I signed up around 1999 and started selling pretty much as soon as I could figure out the picture uploads.

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 21:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
The problem with eBay is that is used to be a hobby. It used to be for people who had a job. Now the trailer people and Comic-Con carnies have taken it over and it it is a job, their job, and the casual sellers will find it much less worth their time. I have lots of stuff I would put up on eBay but it’s pointless. The gouging, the drama, the changing policies, the ridged semi-auto nature of it, the “offers” and the stupid fees mean I’m sitting around taking pictures and buying tape and answering the STUPIDEST emails for people so I can hopefully not lose money on something I just wanted to get rid off. It’s just not worth a busy persons time anymore unless it’s at least a $100 item and that’s pushing it because...do I really need $60 (all I’ll net) or do I need my time?

I buy on eBay like crazy.

I do as well. It's convenient to buy from. Just bought a Japanese PSOne as my original model JP PS1 is starting to die. Threw in some games as well since it barely impacts shipping.

rein-o wrote:
Well I can tell you now that if anybody ever asks a question they will never bid or buy, in my experience its 99.9% tire kickers with no bids or offers, so
any question is pretty much a waste of time.

I disagree, it used to be the other way around, you could make good money on ebay, even buying stuff directly off of ebay and selling it the next week
after you received it, but in the past 7 years is when it really changed that you do it part time and have a real job on the side.
But then again I signed up around 1999 and started selling pretty much as soon as I could figure out the picture uploads.

You are probably right but I've never used it that way. Mostly used it like Zeta and it's just mostly not worth my time anymore to sell. I generally sell on a couple forums and to some people I stay in contact with via email, instagram dms or discord now. Basically anything I want to, I can sell that way. The main instagram dm guy will buy basically anything decent for 70% of market. Which sounds bad until you realize that on eBay you are getting like 85% after eBay and the payment processor (generally paypal still) take their cut. Then you factor in sending one package vs a ton of packages which saves more money.

Anyway a few weeks ago I ended up selling PS3 games on eBay while they were hitting insane prices due to the PSN store closure that ended up not happening. Was reminded of how annoying it all is. To your point about messages, I had someone message me asking if I would take $x for it, I sent them an offer for that amount in reply and they let it expire. Ended up selling for the full amount anyway.

PostPosted: 12 May 2021, 03:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

signofzeta wrote:
The problem with eBay is that is used to be a hobby.

Correct. When it was a flea market to empty your garage/attic, it was great.
We had insertion fees -- meaning you wouldn't re-list ad nauseam the same junk hard to sell items, but list to sale -- and no selling fees most of the time (late 90's). Mostly auctions, with reserve price. Buy It Now didn't even exist at the time.

Then selling fees started around 2~3%. Then 5% then 7% then 9% then 9% + shipping costs because there was a clear loophole to list items for $1 and charge $250 in shipping, then 10% then 12% and above in some countries where they charge VAT to their customers.

Along the way 2 things happened: AMAZON and legal threats related to them defining themselves as an "auction' website when they had very little related to what a real auction process does.

eBay got greedy and probably a little scared.

They saw that they were losing the professional market and started to really only care about high volume/high revenue sellers.
They rebranded to call themselves a global commerce leader that connects millions of buyers and sellers around the world..

One big consequence is that eBay is mostly a fixed price universe now, the auction days are very, very far behind.
Auctions put the power in the buyers' hands. Fixed prices + Best Offers put the power in the sellers' hands and bring prices upwards.

For decent shipping + Paypal fees, most people are being charged around 15%~20% now.
The flea market years are over for the Western world.

Some other places got different outcomes:

In Japan, eBay lost to Yahoo Auctions in early 2000's and closed shop.
In Singapore, nobody likes to play auctions by bidding up. You just contact the seller and ask for a discount. eBay is free to list and sell in Singapore, they gave up.

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2021, 06:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did anyone already create a Payoneer account and linked it with eBay?

Any opinion/feedback on its usage?

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2021, 11:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

is this or will this be owned by eBay? I've never understood Ebay's business habits like owning paypal and then getting rid of them.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2021, 11:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

admin wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
The problem with eBay is that is used to be a hobby.

Correct. When it was a flea market to empty your garage/attic, it was great.
We had insertion fees -- meaning you wouldn't re-list ad nauseam the same junk hard to sell items, but list to sale -- and no selling fees most of the time (late 90's). Mostly auctions, with reserve price. Buy It Now didn't even exist at the time.

Then selling fees started around 2~3%. Then 5% then 7% then 9% then 9% + shipping costs because there was a clear loophole to list items for $1 and charge $250 in shipping, then 10% then 12% and above in some countries where they charge VAT to their customers.

Along the way 2 things happened: AMAZON and legal threats related to them defining themselves as an "auction' website when they had very little related to what a real auction process does.

eBay got greedy and probably a little scared.

They saw that they were losing the professional market and started to really only care about high volume/high revenue sellers.
They rebranded to call themselves a global commerce leader that connects millions of buyers and sellers around the world..

One big consequence is that eBay is mostly a fixed price universe now, the auction days are very, very far behind.
Auctions put the power in the buyers' hands. Fixed prices + Best Offers put the power in the sellers' hands and bring prices upwards.

For decent shipping + Paypal fees, most people are being charged around 15%~20% now.
The flea market years are over for the Western world.

Some other places got different outcomes:

In Japan, eBay lost to Yahoo Auctions in early 2000's and closed shop.
In Singapore, nobody likes to play auctions by bidding up. You just contact the seller and ask for a discount. eBay is free to list and sell in Singapore, they gave up.

Julien

I agree. eBay would go back to the “good ol days” if they had insertion fees. Making it free to get infinite relistings at a stupid price until someone buys it...it’s great for Rein-O but it’s sucks for the common seller and all buyers. They did it knowing the inflation would be idiotic, the wanted their cut of whatever idiotic turns out to be.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2021, 08:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe a side-effect of the Paypal -> Payoneer shift...

Now withdrawing even rather small amounts from Paypal to a US bank account takes 3 to 5 business days.

Used to be 1 business day a few weeks ago for <$500 and 2 to 4 days for larger amounts.

Julien

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2021, 18:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I don’t know about Payoneer but PayPal has significant issues. I had an instance I had to issue a full refund minutes after receiving payment. PayPal kept the %3 fee although no physical exchange occurred.

I understand they have transaction costs and it would be fine if they kept a small amount to cover that but keeping the entire %3? This was a big transaction and resulted in me losing a big amount in the fees with no real sale in the end. Julien and I did some experimenting sending each other small amounts and issuing refunds immediately to see how it really works. It looks like this is a US thing only. In other countries, PayPal keeps a very small amount but refunds most of the fees. In the US, PayPal keeps the entire %3 regardless of the reason of the refund.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021, 13:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

With certain things, particularly internet age stuff, the EU seems a bit ahead of the US when it comes to consumer protection.

Page 1 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next