It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:09

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Project A-Ko Blu ray remaster is using Domesday LD captu
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 09:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
I mentioned this before but some of their lower sellers were under 1k copies. That's part of why the prices are higher and don't go on fire sales. Obviously other things sell better. Lupin helps them a lot I'm sure. I'm just glad to be able to have some of this stuff. Fist of the North Star finally released in it's entirety, Galaxy Express 999 being obtainable, KOR no longer costing hundreds of dollars and being in HD for the first time the list goes on and on. SDBD for content that doesn't upscale well is a boon too. There is a big difference between a well made SDBD and a poor one. I would not judge SDBD on say, that Votoms set lol. I have direct compared some of their SDBD sets to old DVDs and it is a noticeable improvement. I don't get nearly everything they put out, but I'm glad for every old anime that gets new life whether it's Discotek, Sentai, Rightstuf house brands etc

The cost of a To-y LD is definitely a detriment. They could probably make the numbers work if they didn't have to deal with that.

Don't mess with any of that stuff then! LD boxsets cheap from Japan with pure and original content and a genlock will get you all this in original glory, for a fraction of the original price.

I remember watching my A-Ko VHS over and over in about 1995, in mono on a 4:3 CRT. Think it was the not too bad dub, because I just couldn't get it subbed. Gunbuster and Bubblegum Crisis part 1 was probably also on high rotation as well as my latest tapes from the Canberra Anime Society library. A-Ko looked amazing to me. The fluidity and detail in the animation. and A-ko in her underwear eating toast haha.

I wanted to get all the stuff it referenced, as I still hadn't even seen Macross the movie by then, only fan made video clips of it and readings of it in Protoculture Addicts mag..so unobtainable. Then the next year I think Kiseki released it as Bionoids but with subs?? Can't remember but it made me so happy when I saw that tape..

I got the US A-Ko LD a few years ago. It looks good but that shifted picture is weird...

That domesday stuff has always had me intrigued. If it existed in box form I wonder if more people here wouldn't own it? Surely a Chinese firm could boxify the electronics for idiots like me?

Then again, do I want one? I don't really want to do a course in video mastering, I just want to watch LDs, which is great, as long as LD players keep working..

One thing that I love about LD. It's not a damn computer. It's a movie. Domesday makes it into a computer file.. :cry:

PostPosted: 08 May 2021, 21:14 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have the reissue perfect Disc Laserdisc from Japan.

Just got the first issue US DVD which is just a really bad copy of the US laserdisc, non anamorphic but it does have subtitles that are selectable and english dub.

I wonder when the Blu-Ray is coming out from Discotek, for Project A-ko I'm still waiting for the Urusei Yatsura films it seems they announced ages ago.

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 18:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah it's a bit of a catch 22 for announcements. You want to generate hype but you don't want to do it too far out either. City Hunter is taking forever but I found out that is because of Japan milking their customers and the whole reverse importing aspect of the US releases.

PostPosted: 11 May 2021, 11:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

skyjedi2020 wrote:
I have the reissue perfect Disc Laserdisc from Japan.

Just got the first issue US DVD which is just a really bad copy of the US laserdisc, non anamorphic but it does have subtitles that are selectable and english dub.

Now come on. That doesn’t make sense. How can it it be straight from the US LD and also have selectable subtitles when the US LD has perma subs?

That dub must be...something else, given that dubbing in general sucks, dubbing A-ko is twice as bad and that CPM made extra bad dubs at that.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021, 19:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I saw that they previewed the cover art for the Blu-Ray what i didn't see is a preorder or release date.

But in the meantime they did put up one for Orguss.

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4