It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-52] Elite grip ring issue? no noise?
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 17:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have zero experience with these type of players but it seems to act up in a similar way with the B-side problem with other loading mech ...

It doesn't make any slipping noises upon startup on side A! It did in the beginning but cleaned it and that solved the A-side issue

however it sometimes refuses to either manually switch to side B ( attempts to read B-side but then decides not to) and takes a long time to spin down!

sometimes it doesn't even want to move to side B! Pushing the B button does nothing!

after ending side A it sometimes does flip over and reads B side ... sometimes it won't...?

I suspect it might be as simple as another grip ring issue with reading the TOC data ...?

replacing the grip ring when it arrives anyway so curious about this one ... it acts up just like a cld-703-704 or similar based loading mech players.
changed every spindle cushion in my other players and they all work fine now.

this cld-52 acts up differently since the slipping noise isn't there... that's what strange about it... maybe they don't always make noise and do slip?
a centering issue also comes to mind?
first things first... the grip ring won't hurt replacing anyway!

Any toughts?
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

Post subject: Re: CLD-52 elite grip ring issue? no noise?
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 23:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This chassis can produce a great picture but they are really finicky when it comes to adjustments. Harder to adjust than both the CLD-2070 and CLD-2080 in my book.

The clamping mechanism is much stronger than the CLD-D503 based players where the grip ring issue is most prevalent. If there is any orange sticky grease, that needs to be replaced and I usually put on a little tighter belt as well.

What can happen on this chassis is the spindle grip is sufficient, but the silver plate with the screw through it in the center of the white plastic piece on the clamper can slip or the white plastic collar under it can become mashed because it is soft. For that reason, I wouldn't unscrew it. After I make sure the silver plate is centered above the plastic and it is tight (don't over tighten because this can strip the screw hole), I adhere the screw to the plate.

If that still doesn't resolve your problem, perform the "Slider Shaft Horizontal Adjustment" (this can have a cascading affect on the later adjustments). This is off a lot of the time in my experiences and if it isn't the inclination of the pickup is off. Both of these adjustments were removed CLD-D503 onward.

If when you play a CD you can hear the pickup slightly brushing against the spindle it is a sign that something is off with slider/inclination/centering.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 00:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hey C-Plus,

This issue also sounds similar to the one we discussed privately regarding my PSLD43. Any chance it could be the voltage issue on the Mecha IC?

Also, for kris, have you tried an LD with no TOC encoded. My issue is that discs with TOC failed to access Side B about 70-75% of the time but discs with no TOC at all was perfect on the flip. Also, can you verify you have a new loading belt? Stretched belts are always notorious for failed Side B flips.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 02:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
This issue also sounds similar to the one we discussed privately regarding my PSLD43. Any chance it could be the voltage issue on the Mecha IC?

Interesting consideration, but I only saw that note on CLD-x090s. CLD-2090 SM shows PD0081B1 with CAV on pin 43. CLD-52 is CLD-D501 based and has PD0123A1 with CAV moved to 41.

My description of "silver plate" earlier was a bit rough, so here is a photo. The metal piece with the three holes in it. It should not turn freely of the piece it is screwed into. There is a rubber pad under it but it is hard to clean without unscrewing it. That plastic that screw goes into is seriously like Play-Doh.

Attachments:
ClamperHead_VNE1546.jpg
ClamperHead_VNE1546.jpg [ 34.25 KiB | Viewed 1347 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 05:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Checking the top clamp later this evening.
It does play cd’s ok .

Keep you posted
Thanks for the tips
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 19:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Up and running once again :thumbup:

New belt and a good clean later it works like a charm. Some dried grease didn’t help it very much.

Cleaned the grip ring for now and it plays superb.
Pleasantly surprised PQ wise .
Now hunt for the tap points and install ac-3rf out.
Any tips on the tap points? The cld-d702 mod comes to mind where the tap points might be the same…?
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2021, 06:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I had a feeling it was mostly a belt issue :thumbup:.

This is pretty much a robust chassis from what I can tell and overall maintenance free except for the occasional belt change.

As for performing an AC3 mod, here are the points.

AFM (RF): right leg of Q352 (right side when looking @ the player from the front)(see pic below for details)
+5vdc: use voltmeter to find as there is no labeling (or see pic below for details)
-5vdv: use voltmeter to find as there is no labeling (or see pic blelow for details)
Mute: pin 10 of CN201 (see pic below showing underside of the audio board)
GND: use voltmeter to find any ground point

Hope this helps

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2021, 14:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

kris wrote:
Pleasantly surprised PQ wise .

I was as well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]