It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:15

Page 6 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 22:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thank you very much for everything, David.

I will most certainly try to avoid any of those SADC US releases.

I have personally never experienced a case of laser rot but I do not think I have
played more than 40 LDs in my entire life so maybe I was just lucky but I assume that
the majority should still work fine. I played a buch of HK LDs but since they are all made
in Japan I assume only a minority should have issues.

I actually have a problem with my CLD-925 player. It is a nice player but for some time now
before I could play a disk I would have to try it three or four times because the first two or
three times the player would eject the disc. I then noticed a letter and a number "U1" on my screen
and found some information regarding this issue. I will post a video tomorrow in the repair section
I really need to have this issue fixed :( It is driving me insane. PLUS I heard that this might also
negatively affect video playback quality.

I will complete some information on the HK LDs and try to figure out how to make decent cover scans.
I would absolutely love to contribute. Even though I am a new member I have known this site for a looong
time and always had a peak at it now and then but now I am really in that LD fever again ( I collect all
formats, VHS too which has some good releases, but I really LDs ) and I hope I can have my hardware
issue fixed.

All the best to all of you

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 07:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have a copy of The Professional US release that plays perfect.

Last edited by graz138 on 30 Jun 2013, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 09:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What you buy is a huge factor. As of this writing I have 316 LDs, according to the database. Several of these are box sets of several discs, two are 13 discs each so there are a bunch of discs here. There are also a few not in the DB yet that I own.

Everything in my collection has been watched in the last 4 years. The only rotters are Jerk, The (1979) [16-015] (unwatchable, totally gone), the last side of Ed Wood (1994) [2758 AS] (very minor), and Crusher Joe: The OVAs (1989) [AD097-023] and Super Atragon #1 (1995) [CLVSA/001] (these will probably rot to death within a year). There might be some rot on Mike the Wizard (The Wizard of Speed and Time) (1989) [KYLY-59004], but its really minimal. If I were collecting VHS I would have had more tapes snap than I'm seeing LDs rot.

Now, if I collected US releases of mainstream Hollywood stuff, especially the really early and really late stuff, I'd have dozens of rotters. Half of my stuff is imported from Japan, most of it is made after 1990. A very large chunk was released by Bandai Visual and pressed by Pioneer Japan. I expect these discs to basically never rot. It seems that the Japanese plants put a great deal more care into making LDs than the American ones did back then, which should shock absolutely nobody that lived through the 80s. If you're one of those "rare late release" people who spend hundreds on terrible movies than can be had on flawless Blurays for $10, expect to be severely disappointed. I'd sugest you stop wasting your money now.

Its also worth pointing out that all my rotters were purchased recently. Nothing that I bought new back in the day has rotted. Therefore I think there probably is something to the theories regarding heat and humidity. My collection has been building since 1992 and its never left Michigan. Its never been stored in a garage, in a shed, in Florida, etc. My copy of Aliens: Special Widescreen Collector's Edition (1986) (Uncut) [1504-85], which is listed as "High Probability" is absolutely perfect.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 20:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Sounds like you have some good titles! Thanks for the advice too. I have purchased a few lots on ebay and some of the late 90's titles are unwatchable do to rot. I can put up with minor rot, but that's about it.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 21:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If a title is affected by minor , is it guaranteed it will rot to death or might there be a chance that it will remain
at this rot level for years to come ? I have a title "Witness" ( with Harrison Ford ) produced by PDO UK that when
I played it for the first time 12 years ago alright had minor signs of rot back then but when I played it again a couple
of days ago it still looked OK and only had minor rot.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 14:27 
I think that discs from Discovision are prone to Laser Rot. i saw a lot of videos from Discovision Laserdisc Openings on Youtube and many of them show signs of Rot. Some of Sony DADC's Laserdiscs are also prone to rot. I think that also several discs from the 1980s are prone to laser rot.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 15:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

wagtproductions wrote:
I think that discs from Discovision are prone to Laser Rot. i saw a lot of videos from Discovision Laserdisc Openings on Youtube and many of them show signs of Rot. Some of Sony DADC's Laserdiscs are also prone to rot. I think that also several discs from the 1980s are prone to laser rot.

So do you even own any LDs or just watch them on youtube.....

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 15:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

wagtproductions wrote:
I think that discs from Discovision are prone to Laser Rot. i saw a lot of videos from Discovision Laserdisc Openings on Youtube and many of them show signs of Rot.

Rot or inclusions?
Obviously; by definition, rot gets worse over time.
Many people far more experienced than me with DiscoVision will point out a large majority of the issues are manufacturing defects (non clean-room environments) that have affected the disc as much then as now.

As usual, while a percentage of LD collectors seem to panic to get their totally non-unique video on a digital capture (again to state the obvious something like Domesday is an absolute exception, with few others); you will be long, long, did I say, long dead, before your disc is no good due to rot. Chances are your grandchildren and who knows how many other generations will be dead too. The whole point of my collection is to put it in an LD player to watch it.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2021, 03:40 
True fan
True fan

I've ran into laserdisc rot twice. It's the widescreen version of indian in the cupboard and widescreen edition of fright night. Both those movies are unwatchable in my opinion once they rot. I can probably video capture it one of these days to show off the rot. Warped discs are probably much more common than rot from my experience. However my lx-900 seems to read slightly warped or scratch discs better than my lx-h670. Since I only see the
Video and Audio issues on my lx-h670.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 15:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

so a little disc rot in the light to medium range isnt awful but still isnt desirable but rot can get so bad you can visually see it on the physicalm disc and sometimes leave the disc unplayable

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 19:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The number one thing you need to know about rot as a noob is that it is MASSIVELY overly discussed. If you bothered to make that post you’re already thinking about it too hard.

As a daily user of LD for many years I can easily say that I’ve spent more time thinking and talking about rot here than I ever have outside of the forum. Some people buy discs they know are rot prone and get more rotten discs, I don’t know why they do that, I guess they are stupid or love disappointment. A normal person just never buys that disc again…if you do that chances are you’ll never even see a rotters more than 1/100 unless you get all your discs from dirtbag sellers who can’t ship or store anything properly.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 12:35 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
wagtproductions wrote:

So do you even own any LDs or just watch them on youtube.....

LOL :lol: I have 1 LD in 500+ that is completely rotted. The Deep (1977), a few others have minor signs of rot but are completely watchable. It's like Covid, hype and fear overpower reality.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 14:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Fear is the mind killer

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 18:43 
How common is laser rot?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 19:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

koopatroopa wrote:
How common is laser rot?

If this was written by an actual human and not a bot…please read the previous six pages and six threads before that.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 15:07 
I have bought my first laserdiscs and some appear to be prone to rot but i own rot-free copies of them:

My copy of Star Wars: The Definitive Collection has no rot, but it's listed as High probability.

Same goes for my copy of Men in Black which was manufactured by Pioneer USA. I'm happy that i own a Pioneer USA pressing of this film and that it's not the horrible DADC USA pressing! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 15:09 
audioboyz1973 wrote:
wagtproductions wrote:
I think that discs from Discovision are prone to Laser Rot. i saw a lot of videos from Discovision Laserdisc Openings on Youtube and many of them show signs of Rot.

Rot or inclusions?
Obviously; by definition, rot gets worse over time.
Many people far more experienced than me with DiscoVision will point out a large majority of the issues are manufacturing defects (non clean-room environments) that have affected the disc as much then as now.

As usual, while a percentage of LD collectors seem to panic to get their totally non-unique video on a digital capture (again to state the obvious something like Domesday is an absolute exception, with few others); you will be long, long, did I say, long dead, before your disc is no good due to rot. Chances are your grandchildren and who knows how many other generations will be dead too. The whole point of my collection is to put it in an LD player to watch it.

That's not always the case. Some discs may continue to rot until they reach a certain rot threshold and then the disc would stop rotting further.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 19:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

wagtproductions wrote:

That's not always the case. Some discs may continue to rot until they reach a certain rot threshold and then the disc would stop rotting further.

Agree but this I believe has happened already with the bad rotters, I doubt that any 1998 rotter is still playing today or playing well.

I remember getting 10 or 20 year old rotters in late 90s early aughts and they were bad then and stopped playing then.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2022, 15:15 
I wanted to start watching PAL Laserdiscs, so i bought a Pioneer CLD-900 PAL Laserdisc Player and The 1983 Laserdisc of Planet of the Apes, which was manufactured by PDO UK. When i watched put the disc in the player, the video was full of rainbow noise and speckles, and the audio was very noisy and also heavily disorted. Easily the worst laserdisc i own right now :(

The other Laserdisc i bought was Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition as i also wanted to see the Special Edition of Star Wars on Laserdisc, along with the original editions, and it's rot free :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2022, 11:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

We had various problems with DADC USA releases, especially their post-1993 releases. For example, our 1994 Widescreen pressing of Midnight Express by DADC USA has medium rot on Side 3, otherwise it's mostly light rot except on Side 2 which is perfect. There are a few DADC USA releases which play perfectly fine without rot, even some post-1993 releases as well.

Page 6 of 7 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next