It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Samsung DV5500 LD player: limit switch broken?
PostPosted: 13 May 2022, 06:59 
Second post
Second post

Hello!

I've been searching far and wide for answers on an issue I've been having with my player, a Samsung DV5500. The big issue is that I can't hardly find any information on the thing online anywhere, but a few months back we were watching movies on it, and it failed to eject the last disc. I just opened it up and discovered the laser motor is trying to move the laser to the center of the disc even though it's already there. I moved it back and forth a bit with the cable but it didn't make any difference. There was a cracked rack gear in there also that I had to glue back together before I could try it out, so I'm thinking that it may have broken again, but it's pretty much directly under the disc so there isn't really a way to get at it.

Could there be a failed limit switch somewhere that I could rehabilitate or replace? I'm assuming so, but the disc stuck in there at the moment makes poking around a little difficult.
I guess my main questions are: If the switch is the problem, is there a workaround I could do the get the player to eject the disc? And in any case, is there a way to disassemble things just enough to slip the disc out to get more space to work with?

If anyone has any ideas to help out, I'd love to hear them, it's driving me nuts!

p.s. I still have the shell unscrewed, so I can provide pictures and video if that would help diagnosing the issue.

Thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: Samsung DV5500 LD player: limit switch broken?
PostPosted: 13 May 2022, 18:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You will need to post photos of the inside so we can see who made it.

Process for manually ejecting tray is more or less: unplug unit, move optics back to "resting" position and turn a loading gear.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2022, 08:41 
Second post
Second post

Makes sense.
I got distracted by several other projects but finally got the pictures off of my phone. Thankfully I had one from the first time I fixed it with everything open, and I also included a picture of the pickup assembly, hopefully these help in identifying the mechanism. It seems like everything I need to fiddle with is buried pretty far in there, but I'm not above dismantling the whole thing to fix what I need to.

Attachments:
DV5500-1small.jpg
DV5500-1small.jpg [ 138.2 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]
DV5500-2small.jpg
DV5500-2small.jpg [ 214.32 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2022, 03:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sony's pickups (particularly the KHS-130A) are known to fail, but I am not so sure that is the case here.

I've been working on a LDP-1450 off and on that had a similar issue to yours. It is a different pickup, but it kept moving towards the spindle. I hooked it up to my servo checker and scope and was able to get it to playback by tweaking focus and then a cap popped on the +14V line. I then realized the unit was plagued with a ton of dried caps.

You'll need to manually eject the tray. There might be a pulley under the front left. Figure out what piece broke off, and check the switch on the right of the rail with a multimeter. I doubt it is a switch issue if this fault surfaced right after watching a disc though.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]