It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:59

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D503] Problem focusing, No Disc, Lens Jittering
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2020, 07:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So, I bought myself a broken CLD-D503 with hopes of trying to fix it, according to the previous owner it was working until about 8 months or so ago, when it suddenly stopped detecting disks, the beast turns on normally, opens and closes properly (The previous owner took really good care of it apparently, its all properly greased and stuff), but when a disk is inserted it closes, the carriage raises, and then reports no disc.

The disc never gets to spin, and I suppose the problem lies with a failure to achieve focus lock, with the disk tray and the clamp removed I can see the laser turning on and off (But I do have to do it with the room with the lights turned off, I was expecting a brighter laser since all lasers have the "THE LASER IS GOING TO BURN YOUR RETINA OFF" standard warning),but the weird part is that the lens moves up and down randomly without any disk, and really jittery too, not smooth at all, to the point of being able to hear it tapping on the bottom of the disk, the weirder part is that it seems to respond to tapping on the side of the side of the unit, like if it is somehow related to grounding? Maybe? No idea.

IIf i measure the FDRV wire when the lens is quiet it shows me 0v, when I do it when the lens is jittering I get around -1.5V

Am I SOL?

Is there some cap that needs to be replaced on some filter circuit?

Is my laser assembly boinked?

Any idea whats going on?

Thanks a lot!

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D503] Problem focusing, No Disc, Lens Jittering
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2020, 22:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

With the clamp and disc installed, you should see it try to achieve focus three times before giving up.

This sounds like something faulty in the focus servo loop to me though (this might not be fun to pinpoint but better than a dead laser), but thats a wild guess. With the power off, you might want to try reseating the ribbon cables going in and out of the board on the turn mechanism in hopes of a trivial fix.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 01:01 
Third post and above
Third post and above

No luck on the trivial reseating of the ribbons, problem continues.

The focus doesnt try moving up or down, it just stands there jittering at random times, (It seems to be related to a bunch of things, like movement inside, but it also just happens at random when nothing is happening so I have no idea)

But the jittering is so bad that you can hear it tapping the bottom of the disk when a disk is inserted.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 01:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm just guessing and have no tech experence.
I wonder if something inside is bent that makes the laser hit the disc??? since its too close?

Check over the service manual to see if it says anything.

Does it do the same with CDs?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020, 17:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Some information on the focus servo (many thanks again to happycube): https://youtu.be/zj8RE1EV_Q4?t=917

Do you have an oscilloscope affonsoamendola?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2020, 03:26 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks a bunch for linking that video, it explains stuff a lot better than just reading the manual, and just seeing how it moves smoothly up and down on the video can tell me that there is something very wrong with my system.

I will have access to an oscilloscope in the coming weeks, but I don't have access to one at this exact moment, hence why I only checked the FDRV signal with a multimeter, I'm guessing I should probably check it with an oscilloscope too, do you have any other ideas, or signals to check?

Thanks a lot for the responses and help!

Also, yes, it does the same to CDs!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2020, 21:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

affonsoamendola wrote:
I'm guessing I should probably check it with an oscilloscope too, do you have any other ideas, or signals to check?

Yes, check all of the focus adjustments in the service manual. I think the CLD-99 manual might be close enough for you: https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-99/

If no one has touched any of the adjustments on the player (and given the symptoms you have described), I would lean more towards a fault in the electronics. You would need to reference the schematics in the service manual for the CLD-D503/CLD-D570 (RRV1065).

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2022, 12:58 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Did you solve the problem with your player?
I have a similar issue, but instead of jittering the lens just doesn’t move at all.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]