It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Collection Value Total  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 12:13 
True fan
True fan

Recently I stated entering my DVD collection at the DVD Corral Database. One of the neat features is that as I enter in titles it tallies up the total value of my collection on the fly. That would be a great feature here if implanted.

http://www.dvdcorral.com/admin.php

STAY AWESOME! :)

Post subject: Re: Collection Value Total
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 16:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

But it would require a value figure. For those discs which have sold through LDDb Shops, this could be the average of the sale prices, but those are dependent on condition.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 17:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm just waiting for you guys to start buying and selling millions of LDs just to give us a price benchmark for all titles :-)

Passing the 10,000th LD sold soon (added a countdown for fun), I might work on a little engine giving an approximated price when some transactions do exist.

Right now I'm generating the min/avg/max per 3 types of conditions (used/mint/new), I might as well generate the "most recent" in each conditions and use it as a proxy to evaluate the part of a collection I can try to guesstimate. I'm already counting the number of sides and total running time anyway :)

Julien

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2011, 20:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
I'm just waiting for you guys to start buying and selling millions of LDs just to give us a price benchmark for all titles :-)

Passing the 10,000th LD sold soon (added a countdown for fun), I might work on a little engine giving an approximated price when some transactions do exist.

Right now I'm generating the min/avg/max per 3 types of conditions (used/mint/new), I might as well generate the "most recent" in each conditions and use it as a proxy to evaluate the part of a collection I can try to guesstimate. I'm already counting the number of sides and total running time anyway :)

Julien

thats a very good idea, it would be great to see average pricing for a disc, it would help keep us wary of overpriced ebay listings..

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2011, 21:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

yazorin wrote:
it would be great to see average pricing for a disc, it would help keep us wary of overpriced ebay listings..

That already exists...

Attachment:
Stats.PNG
Stats.PNG [ 137.66 KiB | Viewed 3392 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 16:53 
Site Admin
Site Admin

admin wrote:

... and 11 years later we passed the 63,000th and I finally sat down to write a little bit of SQL to try to answer the OP question.

If you go to your OWN collection page (others can't see it, only YOU can), you will see a new line in the Useless Statistics:

Quote:
Collection value: Min $x.xx - Average $x.xx - Max $x.xx

Now, these values probably don't mean much but here is how they are constructed.

1. If there is no past sale statistics for a title, it will NOT be accounted by lack of data (value = $0).
  2. If you haven't provided a grading/status (1 to 10) in your collection, default value will be MINT average, if missing refer to A.
  3. If you have provided a grading/status, then the default will be their respective USED/MINT/SEALED averages. If USED or SEALED does not exist, then MINT will be used, refer to B.

This should ensure that MIN <= AVG <= MAX and if you haven't provided any grading, then MIN = AVG = MAX.
The underlying sales stats are refreshed periodically.

A better approach might be to use the latest transactions instead of the average since 2004 but I do not have a pre-calculated table available for this, it will need to be generated separately.

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 18:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I think the grading system is sort of cool its the main reason I got out of comics and never got into card collecting or vinyl.
Too many variables and I'm not sealing my junk so I can't play it.

Also the fools who can't figure out what the inner sleeve is called can't determine what a good grade of condition is if they don't own players.
LD grade really focuses on first playability, warped or rotted, I know these are way overblown but these hack flippers can't figure those out they shouldn't make a profit off us.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2022, 13:40 
Site Admin
Site Admin

admin wrote:
A better approach might be to use the latest transactions instead of the average since 2004 but I do not have a pre-calculated table available for this, it will need to be generated separately.

And I added just that yesterday => Collection value

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]