It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:11

Page 2 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Anyone still using their first DVD player?
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 04:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

No. My first player was a cheap Provision 3100 Dvd player. Though it had coax digital out, it could not do dts afaik.
2nd was a Pioneer dv 696 i believe to have sacd and dvd audio functionality. Though that one i returned for a
Marantz dv 6500 that i still have in use today. To play sacd, cd and dvd audio via its 6ch analalog out.
It will however output dvd-audio 24/96 2ch tracks via toslink on some discs, depending on if the author allowed it on the disc.
It has no hdmi, so sacd only via 2ch, or 6ch analog out.
YPbPr 576p is the highest quality, next to scart RGB 576i, though you can't use those at the same time; have to unplug scart when using YPbPr in or vice versa to avoid interference. RGB and YPbPr are shared supposedly.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2022, 13:42 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

My first DVD player was a cheap JVC DVD/VCR combo (unknown) which as a LG made set that my nanny gave away. Then we had a pink Capello DVD player then we switched to a Craig DVD player and now my nanny has a Philips DVD/VCR (DVP3340V)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 01:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My first DVD player is a Sony, DVP-S7700.

I haven't really used it much the past few years when I upgraded to a Sony, DVP-NS900. Unfortunately, it appears the DVD portion of the laser pick-up on my 7700 recently failed so I am a bit peaved by it. I recently acquired a donor player (S300) to swap out the pick-up. After I get that done, my plan is to start using it more often as I did want a dedicated DVD player in my apartment along w/ my other disc players.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 09:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I never had a dedicated DVD player - in theory I could have played DVD's on my computers optical drive.
The first "real" unit that could also play DVD's was the Toshiba HD-XE1 HD-DVD player, if that counts.
And yes I still have that. Does not get much usage anymore though.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 00:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My family's first player was a hand-me-down from our videophile friend, probably around 2001. I can't remember what model or even brand it was, but I still have the movie we got with it: the Das Boot director's cut, double-sided DVD.

The first "player" I had that was mine and not the family's was an abandoned Dell Pentium III laptop from my dad's job. At last, I could watch movies without jockeying for the TV! :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2022, 15:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Absolutely not, I have good players now.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 04:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My first player, a Sony DVP-NS300, is at my parents' house.

I actually thought the front panel display was broken for the longest time but last time I fiddled with it, I discovered you can actually turn it on and off from the settings, and apparently I'd turned it off at some point, not noticed and forgot about it :silent:

It's mostly useless to me since you can't even mod it region free without some maintenance remote which I obviously do not have, and I have precious few region 2 DVDs left that I still play. I have thought about repurposing it as a CD transport, but that's only when/if I ever get around to buying that home theater amp I'm still hunting for.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2022, 03:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

First DVD player was something crappy from RCA that had been a Wal-Mart display unit they sold cheap because the remote was missing. Was an okay unit, but it died less than two years later.
Second unit was some junky Apex unit we got for free when we switched to Eartlink dial-up ISP, and the Apex player was about as good as Earthlink, nothing special, but worked. During this time I got an Xbox and the DVD playback remote upgrade for it, which is what I used in my bedroom. In the living room the Apex unit started glitching horribly after a mere six months, and the warranty may as well have been printed on toilet paper as Apex refused to honor the one year warranty. We bought a Phillips DVD player, which even had HDMI output, and we used that unit right up until getting a Toshiba HD-DVD player. Living room we are still using the HD-DVD player as the upscaling it does is incredibly good. Now here in my bedroom I have been watching all my DVDs on my desktop PC, using various incarnations of Cyberlink PowerDVD, since around 2005.

Have a Philips dual-screen (each mounts on the back of a headrest) DVD player system in my car, not a great player where video quality is concerned as those screens are really crappy LCD panels, but it is what it is. Car has been broken down two years now as I have no job and thus no money with which to get it repaired, so rather a moot point anyways.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 14:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I originally started this thread and just wanted to update I'm still using the same DVD player - Pioneer DV-340 - now 21 years old. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I've certainly had good value from it as I have played literally thousands of DVDs and CDs and it continues to work just as it did when I first bought it. I haven't even needed to replace the rubber belt yet!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 16:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I originally started this thread and just wanted to update I'm still using the same DVD player - Pioneer DV-340 - now 21 years old. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I've certainly had good value from it as I have played literally thousands of DVDs and CDs and it continues to work just as it did when I first bought it. I haven't even needed to replace the rubber belt yet!

That's cool that your DVD player is chugging along like a trooper like electronics should.

My friend had an early 1997 Toshiba DVD player that worked just fine for years, but when he upgraded his CRT to an HDTV he HAD to upgrade the DVD player (this was before progressive scan DVD players were affordable and well before upscaling DVD players came about) because his player had only S-Video for the highest level of connection to a TV. To really take advantage of the extra color resolution from the DVD to the HDTV, he needed a player that had component output.

He gave the Toshiba to his mother who used it on her CRT. Not sure if she still uses it or not.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2023, 18:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

No:

My first player was a Sony DVPS530D I got September Nineth 2000. It had to be branded "Sony" to go with the Sony KV27FV16 Wega TV that I had bought earlier.
Player was a refurbished unit I bought at the Sony Outlet store in Massachusetts. Even using RGB out, it had a snowy picture and was replaced with a Sony DVP-NS700P. That one developed tracking errors on some discs and was replaced with a Toshiba. That one did computer files, AVI/MPG/etc. It made playing movies downloaded off of Usenet, burned to CD-RW's easy to view on a TV screen...

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2023, 22:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

hawkwind wrote:
No:

My first player was a Sony DVPS530D I got September Nineth 2000. It had to be branded "Sony" to go with the Sony KV27FV16 Wega TV that I had bought earlier.
Player was a refurbished unit I bought at the Sony Outlet store in Massachusetts. Even using RGB out, it had a snowy picture and was replaced with a Sony DVP-NS700P. That one developed tracking errors on some discs and was replaced with a Toshiba. That one did computer files, AVI/MPG/etc. It made playing movies downloaded off of Usenet, burned to CD-RW's easy to view on a TV screen...

Judging from your experiences, that seems to suggest Sony DVD players were pretty much in the same reliability league as their LD players then? ;)
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2023, 04:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That would be a negative for my part.
Old Memorex $36.00 special.
100% NOT BUILT TO LAST FYI

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2023, 04:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

"Judging from your experiences, that seems to suggest Sony DVD players were pretty much in the same reliability league as their LD players then?"

Correct. I had an MDP-800 or 850 and it had a herringbone pattern right out of the box. Sony couldn't/wouldn't fix it...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2023, 08:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hawkwind wrote:
"Judging from your experiences, that seems to suggest Sony DVD players were pretty much in the same reliability league as their LD players then?"

Correct. I had an MDP-800 or 850 and it had a herringbone pattern right out of the box. Sony couldn't/wouldn't fix it...

Sorry to read about your experience with the MDP 800.
Had several of that line and they performed optimally.

Still have two units mothballed currently. Looking forward to rotating them into service as alternates to my DVL-919 's,

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2023, 12:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

hawkwind wrote:

After multiple bad experiences like you had, it’s enough to put you off the brand for life! Added to that Sony’s attitude to repair, is the absolute icing on the cake :thumbdown:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2023, 12:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
hawkwind wrote:

Sorry to read about your experience with the MDP 800.
Had several of that line and they performed optimally.

Still have two units mothballed currently. Looking forward to rotating them into service as alternates to my DVL-919 's,

Hope they fire up successfully for you when the time comes firehorse_44 :thumbup:

I’ll have to confess to never having had the pleasure of seeing a Sony LD player in action up to now, on a slightly different note I must admit I’ve been very happy with my long term Sony VW500ES 4K pj if I’m honest though.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 22:16 
True fan
True fan

My first DVD player was purchased in 2005. It was an off-brand model. Died in about 2 years.
I have several Blu-Ray players and a Sony DVD players with many bells and whistles that is used for region 1 DVD’s. It has HDMI and optical output. I bought the European equivalent model swapped the power boards and don’t need any step down transformer to use it. ( Sony DVP-NS700H )

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2023, 15:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

My first DVD player, which I no longer have, I got in mid '98 and was a JVC XV-D2000 BK. This unit was multi-region (had to manually enter in a code to change the player's region), had composite video and s-video out (no component), supported DVD, CD, CDR and VCD -- I checked in the showroom :-) , coaxial and optical out and it did AC3 decoding. This unit had no DTS out and started having problems (around 2001) loading DVDs (it wouldn't) that had any fancy "interactive menus".

My next (second) DVD player was (I believe) a gold Pioneer DV-355, auto multi-region, AC3/DTS out, composite, s-video and component video out, supported 480i and 480p and had no problems with any DVD with fancy "interactive menus". :)

Cheers,

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2023, 07:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I still have my first DVD player, a Sony DVP-S500D, but I have not used it for many years. I still have my first CD player also, a Sony CDP-111.

Page 2 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2