It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:43

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Daicon Opening LD on yahoo
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 11:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If someone feels it still worth the price: Daicon III & IV: Opening Animation/Orochi Strikes Again (1988) [DCF-1]

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f112045208

Post subject: Re: Daicon Opening LD on yahoo
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 18:56 
The description, run through google translate, suggests that the disc has not been checked for rot - a known issue with the Daicon LD. You would think a seller of such a high value Ld (likely the most valuable disc of them all) might at least check it's video quality. Anyway, the Daicon LD is quite the prize, and I would not mind paying some serious bucks for a rot free copy.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 19:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

so, right now it's at about 300ish.
that's kind of high, AND if you don't live in Japan you have to get a service to bid and that costs more on top of the final price.

so you could be spending on low end 500us and it may have rot :wtf: :sick:

also didn't this come with a book, or didn't the book come with the LD??

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 20:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ironically, I bid, win and get it, it would be totally rotted, lol :)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 20:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The LD (or VHS) was "free" with an outrageously expensive book, I think it was 16,000 yen for the package.

As for rot, I question how much of a "known issue" the rot actually is. For all I know it was just urban legend to keep people from being interested in it. I've never actually met, or even talked to, anyone who owns the thing so I'm not really confident that it's a real problem. Regardless, he should test the thing, jeez.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 23:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
The LD (or VHS) was "free" with an outrageously expensive book, I think it was 16,000 yen for the package.

As for rot, I question how much of a "known issue" the rot actually is. For all I know it was just urban legend to keep people from being interested in it. I've never actually met, or even talked to, anyone who owns the thing so I'm not really confident that it's a real problem. Regardless, he should test the thing, jeez.

As long as you never watch it, it aint rotted, hehe

famous rotter, nobody has it but its a sure rotter alright =)

isnt the book on the pictures ? its clearly has something with several pages with pictures included....

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 00:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The pictures show the front, back, and liner notes. They don't show an inner sleeve, which is possibly a bit troubling.

I'm not sure I even know what the book was, maybe just a bunch of General Products stuff? Gainax hadn't actually put out that much material at that point. They mostly just sold stuff related to other people's franchises.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 01:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

but if you want it, it's cheaper right now than the one listed here on LDDB.
i think the most i ever spent on a disc was 80-100 and that was when they were still making them, or rare discs that were never released on DVD in the early 2000.

i'll just download it off of the youtube that someone has uploaded from the LD and save it :D

Last edited by rein-o on 29 Jun 2012, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 01:27 
signofzeta wrote:

One of us should get this disc, and put the legend to rest. This is one of those things that's so rare that sometimes you must simply bite the bullet and bid =) It may be that this LD is the highest quality release Daicon will ever see, with music rights issues leaving it in a grey area after all of this time...

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 02:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

harlock wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

One of us should get this disc, and put the legend to rest. This is one of those things that's so rare that sometimes you must simply bite the bullet and bid =) It may be that this LD is the highest quality release Daicon will ever see, with music rights issues leaving it in a grey area after all of this time...

from what i have read this is the only way to own it, they don't have teh rights for music and characters etc.

so i'll let you bid :D

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 02:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There is a VHS. Don't forget that! :)

I'm not going to "bite the bullet" on this one. It's on YJ, the fees and exchange rate will be murder, it's untested, etc. I think I'll own this some day, but I don't want to get burned.

Regarding "putting the rumor to rest", buying this wouldn't do that. If this particular disc is rotted or not it doesnt mean some other copy will or won't be.

As for rights...I don't know. If they wrote a big enough check I'm sure they could get Twilight cleared. The thing is, otaku are total cheap-asses nowadays and would probably only want to pay $1 for it instead of $115 like they did the first time. Another thing is that this short contains cameos by virtually every single scifi...thing...that existed at that time. Back in the day that was totally acceptable in Japan, but in 2012 you'd probably need $50 million in fees to get permission for that stuff.

To what it's worth, portions of this were used in Otaku no Video, if you want to see how clear it can get (not much clearer than the LD), and the sequence was recreated as an intro for the live action comedy/drama series Densha Otoku, which is rather remarkable. Densha actually did use Twighlight, legally this time.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 19:55 
signofzeta wrote:
Regarding "putting the rumor to rest", buying this wouldn't do that. If this particular disc is rotted or not it doesnt mean some other copy will or won't be.

Yeah, given that there are almost none of these discs known in the English speaking world, it is a safe assumption that rot statistics would be non-trivial to derive from such little data. When shelling out the price this disc commands, even rumors of rot can be unsettling.

signofzeta wrote:
Another thing is that this short contains cameos by virtually every single scifi...thing...that existed at that time. Back in the day that was totally acceptable in Japan, but in 2012 you'd probably need $50 million in fees to get permission for that stuff.

I wonder if this could qualify for some sort of exemption by claiming that these representations of trademarked characters are parody. It would be interesting to see how much detail a HD telecine could extract from the original 8mm print.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 20:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

O.K. i know how some give total hype into an item being broken or having issues.

i remember when i wanted a voltron lionbot back in the day, there was so much hype from the cartoon that
if you wanted the US Golion it was around 150 at forbidden planet.
in chinatown they had the bootleg for around 40 and some were selling the Japanese release for 600.
they said that the yellow lion would never stay on and the only good one to own was the Japanese release.

so we went and bought a bootleg for 35 or 40 and it was fine with no issues.

the moral of this story is the same as this LD, i'm sure none have rot, and i'm 100% positive that anyone who says this never had this disc.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 22:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
O.K. i know how some give total hype into an item being broken or having issues.

i remember when i wanted a voltron lionbot back in the day, there was so much hype from the cartoon that
if you wanted the US Golion it was around 150 at forbidden planet.
in chinatown they had the bootleg for around 40 and some were selling the Japanese release for 600.
they said that the yellow lion would never stay on and the only good one to own was the Japanese release.

so we went and bought a bootleg for 35 or 40 and it was fine with no issues.

the moral of this story is the same as this LD, i'm sure none have rot, and i'm 100% positive that anyone who says this never had this disc.

the only thin I could see is if the seller is a collector, had one rotted disc, now found one that was fine, list the old rotted one as untested even when he knows it is just becouse he know he will get more =)

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 23:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

but even if rotted it will still command a price, also how many who buy this even have a player?
i'm sure it will just be some Otaku or Gainex collector who has to have everthing.

i have some audio tapes of stuff i collect but don't own a player anymore, or even if i did i don't think i would be using it.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2012, 01:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would pay $200 or more for a known rotter Daicon LE as long as the rest was good. This disc and what it represents is extremely special to me and many OG anime fans. It's totally unique. There is nothing like it and there might never be.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 20:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

so ended at 47,825 yen. almost 600 bucks.
and that dosen't count any fees since it was a Japan only auction.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 21:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That's pretty much exactly what I was expecting! :)

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2012, 23:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
That's pretty much exactly what I was expecting! :)

Im guessing that this is item might be worth more in japan, but it went for the same amount as it did on ebay. was the book with the ebay auction ?

Anyway this price would have been higher if it was checked before listing.

guessing it wasnt anyone here that got it ?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 04:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Not sure if its the same one, but someone on the LDDB now has one for sale. $2500, but the seller is accepting offers.
Daicon LD

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next