It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:48

Page 1 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Pioneer VDR-V1000 Project
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 23:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just arrived today.

Unboxing (shipping weight was around 116 lbs.)

with outer box open

inner box removed

inner box front open

VDR-V1000 removed

front
back
video inputs composite/component in/out I need to locate some of these cables

audio inputs/outputs I might be able to get some of these locally.
the LCD is still very bright

a peek inside the tray insert, it seems to go on forever.........

carry handles two per side

Picked this up for about the same price as a decent Pioneer Elite LD player. Plan on integrating this into my theater system somehow. There is no way to record new laserdiscs now, it's absolutely impossible. However there is this beast: the Pioneer VDR-V1000 recorder which uses a recordable laserdisc, call it a LD-RW, for rewritable laserdisc. Unfortunately this buy didn't come with a disc and they're pretty hard to find, so this project will be on hold until I can locate one.

Here is a picture of one. It's a VDM-V130, it's in a caddy just like the CRV ones from Sony
If anyone comes across one I'd be interested in buying it for the right price. I'd be interested in multiple discs as well, should more turn up.

So for now I need to find some cables to hook up to it. It can be connected with composite or with component, thinking about using component for higher quality. Audio is PCM with 85 db range.

The plan, since there is no way to burn new LD's is to use this as a burner/player for new LD recordings. They can only be recorded and played on the VDM-V130 and only up to 32 minutes per disc in CAV. But since the VDM-V1000 has two lasers, you could record your first 30 minutes and then cue up your 2nd 30 min block while you begin viewing your first recording leaving about a 2 min buffer between them and then repeat that process until the movie is over. All it would take is a completed master recording of say Star Wars EP 2 to run to it. If it's a 2 hour movie you'd have to cue it up 3 more times after beginning. Shouldn't be any longer than flipping/changing discs with conventional players.

These were basically the crown jewel of non linear video editing back in the 90's. They sold for 39,950.00 when new and each disc was 1250.00. They were targeted at broadcasting venues but I doubt there are any that use them any longer. This is a low cost theoretical project at present. In theory everything should work as planned, but will require hours and hours of testing to learn process and implementation into a home theater system.

Why bother? That's a good question. Since the cost is low I'm not out much should I fail and it would still make a great collection piece of laserdisc history. But if it works, there are many out there that would love to see films that were never released on laserdisc brought to LD in a usable format. I'd gladly share my experiences and information with whomever wants it after they locate their own VDR-V1000. It's unconventional, but it's the only way you'll ever see something new brought to laserdisc.

The VDR-V1000 isn't your average laserdisc machine, it's a beast and weighs nearly 100 lbs. It takes up 7U in a rack and is 24.5 inches deep. It came with the rack mounts and operation/service manual. I'm currently studying the manual to learn its operations and functions, there is a lot to cover. I need to locate the cables but need to think how I'm going to connect to it and output from it and whether I'm going to use a monitor out or not from the unit.

There were also the CRV recorders but they're a dead issue as they can only record once to a disc and they also can only play in their designated recorders as well. So if you come across those and are thinking they'll work for this project, they won't. You need the VDR-V1000. The VDR-V1000 is probably the most expensive product Pioneer put out that had anything to do with laserdiscs. A few notes to add: it does not play standard laserdiscs or record to them and the recordable discs/caddies cannot be played on any other system or removed from caddy and played on a standard laserdisc machine.

With that said I believe this is the only way there can be new LD recordings, although as I said before: only in an "unconventional manner". But if it's used as a player and recorder I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially since it utilizes two lasers so there won't be any interruption during playing or very minimal at most, though it will take a pre digital master to send to the VDR-V1000 and some quick cueing every 30 minutes. There is no AC3 or DTS capability here, but digital PCM is possible as well as component input/output.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer VDR-V1000 Project
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 23:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Wow, how much was shipping?
Does it actually record in component, or does it just take it and then convert it to NTSC?
I assume there's no way to get it to play regular LaserDiscs? (like you can't just put a regular disc in a caddy and play that?)

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 00:04 
On the Pioneer parts website VDM-V130 comes back as a "test disc", 60 day back order with a retail price of $1948.95, so how many do you want :P :P :P

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 01:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That was back when they had them. I'm sure they haven't stocked them in over 10 years. They're just relics now. Since they're not used in a professional capacity there's really no value but to a collector. Only way to get one is to wait until one pops up on eBay.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 01:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i'll take 20 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lolno:

let us know how the unit is, i thought about buying one of these in the past, but then i moved
3 times with a PR-7820 and said good bye to heavy stuff.
even my last arcade machine and my marshall half stack :clap:

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 02:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It does say temporarily out more than 60 day turn around. I can't believe they could have another one made. I assume they just haven't removed the part from inventory. Unless they have a stock pile of these? Can't pay that much right now though and it's way, way more than what I paid for the unit, ouch! Maybe I'll call them.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 02:46 
tomtastic wrote:
It does say temporarily out more than 60 day turn around. I can't believe they could have another one made. I assume they just haven't removed the part from inventory. Unless they have a stock pile of these? Can't pay that much right now though and it's way, way more than what I paid for the unit, ouch! Maybe I'll call them.

When it's 60 days plus it means the part is supposedly in Japan. There's nobody at Pioneer I can talk to any more. The old gang is gone :cry:

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 02:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well even if it was that much, it's nice to know (if they really do have it overseas) that I could get a disc for it. Still, I'd like to find one at a fraction of that cost. This is very much a experimental project.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 03:58 
tomtastic wrote:
Well even if it was that much, it's nice to know (if they really do have it overseas) that I could get a disc for it. Still, I'd like to find one at a fraction of that cost. This is very much a experimental project.

I wish I still had my contacts there. There's a good chance some of these were floating around the technical service office. That closed a number of years ago and all the field service engineers started working from home. I got about 6 boxes of stuff from the office when it closed, lots of LD things but no "blank" discs :cry:

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 04:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

hopfully one day they will fine this forum and you can get more stuff from them!

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 04:51 
rein-o wrote:
hopfully one day they will fine this forum and you can get more stuff from them!

I'm sure they've moved on and don't even remember what a laserdisc is :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 05:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i don't even want to think like that.
i want to think that there are people who have a bunch of stuff in their basement who will list on ebay or here!

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 09:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Some more pics after relocating unit to basement. Going to leave it on top of server rack for now. Started it back up and played around with mode and function buttons and learned how to navigate. It's actually quite easy. Haven't looked at manual yet, just tinkering with it, can't resist.

Quickly figured out how to pull up the rom version and log times. Only 6 hours recording time on this unit. Spindle time/op time pretty low too.

Navigation is pretty straight forward.

Startup, everything lights up. All the white buttons light up, the eject button is also illuminated.

Once owned by Interval Research Corp, Google search shows they're now defunct (1992-2000 and up to 2006 with a small group of emplyees). Interval employed many well known computer pioneers.

Wonder if this number still works? "Hello? Yes, I need a VDM-V130, STAT!"

A neat feature of the VDR-V1000 is the adjustable faceplate. I think it has 2 positions besides flush.

Under the faceplate, uh what's that in there? Let's take a closer look...

The service sticker is blank. That does it! I knew those darn Pioneer service techs never did anything. They just dusted
it off and sent it back. :lol:

mid position

rackmount kit

Some damage to lower right side. The pin doesn't hold the faceplate closed. The left side wouldn't either until I reinserted a screw that had fallen out. The seller had to locate a new button for the front, he probably lost it when he took the faceplate apart. I found a couple other loose screws underneath as well so they are now tight. Metal flashing is a little bent.

Inside damage as well on the right. The pin had slammed forward and caused a dent.

Left side is pretty good, screw is put back and it latches good.

Another shot of right. I've played around with it for awhile. If the clip is held up it will hold in place. But it's not keeping it locked. I may need to address this in the future. I don't want to use tape on it. I think adding a small flange to the clip would keep it from coming apart.

Here's more damage I think. It appears whatever happened has shoved something against the rear metal cover. The jog controller on the other side still functions as do the buttons. I can't test any of the white buttons without the disc though.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 17:20 
It looks like the clock on this one is a "true" clock. On the LD-V4400, LD-V8000 and the like the hour meter counts as long as the power is "on" (not a true indication of hours of operation). Simple to change but the engineers in Japan refused saying it was "good enough" :problem:
BTW, when I was doing the 4400 and 8000 under warranty I never wrote anything on the service sticker so a blank sticker may mean nothing. Also if product was simply reboxed it had to marked as reconditioned. Yours could have been returned because of operator error in which case it had to be marked as reconditioned (which could really just be B stock).
It looks like a bunch of fun, unfortunately they never allowed field service on them :(

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 20:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was thinking the operation time would be total hours on. I'll watch the counter and see if it ticks past _ _ 47. I would think the spindle time would be actual use time with disc, could be wrong though. It was at a research facility so it didn't get used too much. The damage appears to be minimal and doesn't effect anything.

Yeah it has the reconditioned sticker, so maybe when they closed shop it got sent back to Pioneer?

Found some good quality cables for it, will pick up here in a couple weeks. Audio is pretty straight forward, need male and female XLR's to RCA. Going gold plated brass on RCA ends and nickel plated on XLR ends. Still trying to think how to run video, looks to be RG59 coaxial, not sure what other end to go with, will depend on how to output from source. I'll have to think that over some more. Want to use the best quality cables for connection and shielding I can to ensure maximum transfer of audio and video. Pinnacles look good, wow the price...

Looking over back of unit pictures, the male audio outputs look pretty corroded, could use some polishing.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 21:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Is there any way to test if it actually works at all without one of those discs?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 23:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah, once I get the cables it should do audio/video pass thru. Just won't be able to do all the editing functions and recording of course.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 11:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I went ahead and opened up the faceplate tonight to see what was going on in there. The reason it won't close on the right side, the large dent in the back of the face plate that could only have been caused by something shoved into it, was starting to make me wonder if there would be damage inside, namely the jog controller and anything around it.

Looking at the inside of back plate. Damage matches the back of jog controller as I suspected as the cause. If the jog controller had done this, there's no sign of it, other than the plate damage. It must have been repaired at one time. The controller sits just over half an inch below the back plate. Plus it would have broken the entire front corner of the front plastic plate, plus all kinds of damage inside.
Strange that they would of had to replace the entire front plastic, controller and whatever else was broke inside, yet they left the damaged back plate.

Putting back cover back on to see how bad it is.

some more pics of the face plate

decided to try and pound out the dent

Fixed clip as it still wouldn't latch correctly. It just doesn't hold the pin right as it is.
Looks like it sits lower and doesn't catch enough. Added some JB Wield to give it
more material to work with.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 20:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What an awesome find! I was hoping someone on here would buy one of these! Too bad about the damage, luckily it wasn't critical. I can't wait for you to record EP 2!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 21:27 
I heard back from my friend who was a field service engineer at Pioneer OTS in L.A. He doubts that OTS ever had any discs. He indicates the units were mainly used by companies shooting sports for the networks (which satisfies my memory that LD was used for honestly INSTANT instant replay). He also indicates that one of the companies was Super Shooters. Wonder if they're still around???

Page 1 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next