It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:57

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Longed-for LDs
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 09:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I love Mermaid's Forrest.
For me, One Pound Gospel sets the bottom.
I like all her other works.
Urusei Yatsura being on top :)
All a matter of individual taste I presume.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 04:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just checked out the Mermaid Forest seller's other items and there are way too many good discs to pass up. It's possible to get all US release Kimagure Orange Road (TV and OVAs) for $150. Awesome deal!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 02:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Ooh yeah there are a bunch of other good ones in there. The KOR box is tempting even though I already have it since mine is falling apart a bit. They all play fine and its been a blast seeing it again but it might be nice to have a copy in better shape. Definitely going to have to try to get you're under arrest (which means I'll have a duplicate of disc 1 but I have to get disc 2, I love that series, US LD release will be my 4th time buying it...) And maybe a few others too.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 04:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Would someone please buy Vampire Hunter TV Vol 1? I'm too broke to buy it, but I'm dying to get some info on the LD. Sadly, nothing in the LDDB and google is no help.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 06:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

hoyeboye wrote:
Would someone please buy Vampire Hunter TV Vol 1? I'm too broke to buy it, but I'm dying to get some info on the LD. Sadly, nothing in the LDDB and google is no help.

I only ever see Vol 1 on eBay....what happened to the rest?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 11:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Anyone who doesn't get Robot Carnival for $18.50 is an idiot, unless they already have it of course. Its a very good LD of a completely awesome movie that has never hit US DVD or BR.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 14:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
Anyone who doesn't get Robot Carnival for $18.50 is an idiot, unless they already have it of course. Its a very good LD of a completely awesome movie that has never hit US DVD or BR.

Another one that's been on my list for a while, I've just been waiting for a reasonable price. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I've heard so many mixed reviews for it that I haven't really made it a priority.

Along those same lines, is Crystal Triangle any good? The US release typically fetches a high price, but I haven't heard any glowing reviews for it; just another scifi anime movie.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 17:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I heard that the Robot Carnival LD changed the original order of the shorts, is that true?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 20:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

KOR TV about to end... I'm tempted to buy it just because my outer box is beaten up. I probably shouldn't though. Also I've never heard of robot carnival. I'll have to look it up.

Edit: Ah.someone grabbed it. Hope they enjoy it. It's a great series. One of my favorites.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 20:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

hoyeboye wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Another one that's been on my list for a while, I've just been waiting for a reasonable price. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I've heard so many mixed reviews for it that I haven't really made it a priority.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Robot Carnival. Basically everyone likes that movie. Whoever dissed it...I suggest you never listen to that person's opinion again. Not liking Robot Carnival is like not liking Back to the Future. :)

Quote:
Along those same lines, is Crystal Triangle any good? The US release typically fetches a high price, but I haven't heard any glowing reviews for it; just another scifi anime movie.

I actually don't remember this one. I may have never seen it.

naiaru wrote:
I heard that the Robot Carnival LD changed the original order of the shorts, is that true?

The order of the shorts is different than the VHS and different than the theatrical print. While this movie is thought of as a...movie, it really was an OVA first. I'm not sure if it actually was released in Japanese theaters at all. Streamline built the theatrical negative in a way to minimize real changes (think CAV version of Fantasia) and then, I assume, switched it back for the LD. I don't know if the US LD is the same order as the JP LD.

What I do know is that the thing is great the way it is and flows fine. It is an anthology after all.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 22:25 
I won the copy of the first Patlabor movie from the seller auctioning Robot Carnival, etc. I had to get my car inspected at the same time the auction was ending, so I decided to try a free sniping program called JBidwatcher. This was my first time using this program, and I set the snipe time to 20 seconds before the ending time, and it worked perfectly :). So, if you are a luddite like me too cheap to pay for a fancy phone capable of going online :lol: , this is a perfect program that can bid for you while you are away from the internet.

Anyway, I'm a big Patlabor fan: Patlabor 2 is one of Oshii's best works (I have the well done DVD box set with storyboard book from Bandai), with amazing art and an intricate storyline, and Patlabor 1 is also a cool flick with the mysterious "E. Hoba" antagonist and the "Babylon project" finale. The Patlabor OVAs were issued in a very nice LD boxset - I think suruga-ya might have it in stock, but the shipping would be steep for a box. This gatefold edition of P1 should be very cool.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 14:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

johan184 wrote:
yazorin wrote:
waiting for mermaid forest to appear on the bay, been waiting for about a year!

going to do you one favor here, check out URA: http://www.urabanchou.com/index.php?mai ... _id=126929

Hehe, that is now in my collection along with Scar and 1 Pound Gospel. The Choujo, Fire Tripper and Laughing target are on their way :thumbup: There was a new sealed copy on eBay a few months back for $18.95 buy it now which I had in my watch list but stupidly never bought. That was with free shipping too.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 15:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

naiaru wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
It's been a long time since I saw Mermaid Forrest, but I remember it being kind of terrible. Certainly the bottom, or near bottom, of the Takahashi heap. I wouldn't even pay shipping for a free copy, honestly.

Yeah, I agree. I've got the four English Rumik World LDs (I think I've heard there was a JP only fifth one, something about boxing...(besides Maris the Choujo)) and the programs themselves are kinda just mediocre (in my opinion at least). I figure the prices must come from the fact that they're not on DVD or something...

There were 5 official and 1 Pound Gospel is considered the 6th. Mermaid Forrest and Scar were both part of the Rumik World collection but Viz released Scar in the US so it only ever had a dubbed VHS released. They also released 1 Pound Gospel again, dubbed only.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 20:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

hoyeboye wrote:
I really don't think it's anything special, just a compilation of shorts with a 'robot' theme. The "Tale of Two Robots" sequence is hilarious, though (beware of the random-passerby English voice acting on the Japanese version). Be aware that the American disc has a newly-created credit sequence, & includes Ohtomo's original credit sequence as an 'extra'.

naiaru wrote:

"Note: Each segment was produced as a separate short film and the sequence as it appears on this laserdisc, differs from the original Japanese and American VHS home video releases. It has been approved by Kazufumi Nomura as the correct viewing sequence optimized for laserdisc."

hoyeboye wrote:
No. It's pretty poor, really — CPM didn't even bother putting English credits on the end! And the art on the back of the jacket has illustrations of artwork from some other anime, instead of the film itself. If you can get it for $5 as I did, it's worth laughing at.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 04:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

publius wrote:
Be aware that the American disc has a newly-created credit sequence, & includes Ohtomo's original credit sequence as an 'extra'.

Boy, how unlike Streamline to do something like that :roll: I remember that crap on the Dirty Pair Flight 005 VHS, they screwed the end credits of the movie too but did not have the original as an "extra" unlike 005. I am planning on getting the Jp disc of Robot Carnival seeing as it is dirt cheap and I stupidly missed out on the DVD when it was released. It is now waaaay too expensive. I guess I will have to hope BV release it on BD eventually. I also hope very much that Victor/Flying Dog release Windaria, Megazone 23 and Leda on BD.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 08:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Streamline had a policy of not permitting Japanese text in the credits as to not shock American audiences with the news that there is another country somewhere out there other than their own. Since its impossible to remove the Japanese from the end of Robot Carnival they cut it completely. It's a nice montage of drawings that I like quite a bit, but it doesn't kill the movie or anything.

As for RC not being anything special...I don't even know what to say about that. To me it's amazing.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 16:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

well, i was waiting for others to respond about robot carnival.

i've only seen parts, but it was playing at a small theatre in NYC around the same time stremline released it.
i want to say 1990/1991

i was planning on seeing it, but then read a review and they panned it pretty badly, i guess after them seeing
AKIRA they would judge everything on that.

but i've heard one guy tell me he never liked AKIRA.
it's just who likes it and who doesn't :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 18:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I never liked Akira either, but that's just because its too violant for me. I'm a wuss!

Anyone who "meh"s Robot Carnival lacks a passion for life. Anyone who pans it...just doesn't understand what they are seeing. The Otomo segment(s) are incredibly well animated and a brilliant satire at least as clever as Cannon Town. Equally thought provoking is the segment about the inventor dude that makes the robot girl. The Tale of Two Robots is hilarious and also pretty well done. Cloud is a bit slow for some people, I can't argue that, but I liked it. Deprive is kind of cheap and TV-grade, but not terrible. The Bald Mountain type segment is friggn amazing, the Frankengears one is a bit overly-wrought, but quality.

While the theme is "Robot" there isn't anything else whatsoever connecting these shorts. Because of this you get a great variety of styles, both technical and narrative, from some of the hot people in anime from that time with budgets far exceeding most anime. It's a great time capsule of what was happening in 1986 or whatever and a very special movie to me. The fact that it came out in the US is quite a blessing. I'll take all the theatrically released 80s anime I can, but even then this still rates pretty high.

But then again, I'm not sure this was theatrically released in Japan at all. It might have just been one of those mega budget OVAs like Birth and A-Ko, which is not bad company

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 08:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

On the Streamline Robot Carnival LD, the black level on the Franken's Gears & Nightmare segments is set so that it's almost impossible to see anything (compare with the trailer, also on the disc, for some of the missing detail). Cloud is an interesting art piece, but hardly animated in the normal sense of the word — it does have a sort of Little Nemo vibe, which is something. Deprive could be composed of clips from any mid-'80s SF adventure anime, although it does remind me a bit of Hirano's underappreciated (because the show is otherwise not great) work on Dangaioh. I just plain don't like the story & style of Presence, which seems as though it ought to be French somehow. (Yes, I own a copy of Fantastic Planet.) And if you've seen Steamboy, you've pretty much seen the Ohtomo segments.

Taken as a whole, I just don't find Robot Carnival rewarding to sit through, when I could be watching something like Wings of Honneamise. Maybe it's that there's not enough of any one thing for me to really sink my teeth into, & the lack of connection between the individual items probably doesn't help there. I'd go so far as to suggest watching it one segment at a time, maybe before something else, like the cartoon before the feature at a movie.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 14:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

publius wrote:
I'd go so far as to suggest watching it one segment at a time, maybe before something else, like the cartoon before the feature at a movie.

That's an interesting idea for your next classic anime convention screening. Theme it around Robot Carnival with segments leading into the features.

Page 3 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3