It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:23

Page 1 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Ordering from Suruga-Ya
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 08:02 
I ordered a disc from Suruga-Ya a few days back, and received just the confirmation message from Rakuten. Does Suruga-Ya send another message to confirm the total for the order, with shipping, or do they just send the order without additional contact? Maybe they take their time - I ordered a copy of the Queen Millennia movie, and their site is now showing "sold out" for it, so hopefully they didn't just discover there were none in stock when I placed an order :).

Post subject: Re: Ordering from Suruga-Ya
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 08:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What happened to me was that weeks after I got the confirmation from Rakuten, suruga-ya sent me a "final notice" and I replied to that. So I guess you're expected to email them of your own volition sooner than that? They don't make it straight forward, recobanchou has the same problem, I think. Also, I bought three discs for 7 bucks and paid 44 dollars shipping. So be prepared for that...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 08:36 
naiaru wrote:
What happened to me was that weeks after I got the confirmation from Rakuten, suruga-ya sent me a "final notice" and I replied to that. So I guess you're expected to email them of your own volition sooner than that? They don't make it straight forward, recobanchou has the same problem, I think. Also, I bought three discs for 7 bucks and paid 44 dollars shipping. So be prepared for that...

Thanks for the heads up, I just sent them a message to request a confirmation of the total with shipping for the order. This is a 2 disc gatefold, so the shipping will probably be $30 or something, which is pretty consistent with EMS costs. Still, cheaper than a middleman service with commission fee etc.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 09:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, they are a bit iffy but the deals I've gotten from them are totally insane so I deal with it. I bought Plastic Little from them for ¥160 whereas easier to tolerate stores like Recobancho want $60 so...I can handle it. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 15:58 
I heard back from suruga-ya, and they are still processing the order (placed on the 20th) and will let me know the total, so it looks like I'm getting a copy of Queen Millennia (On Pony Canyon PCLP-00658 - Interesting, because the producer Toei also put out their own edition in the same year, 1997) after all :). Definitely a somewhat quirky transaction, but well worth it to add to my collection of theatrical Leiji Matsumoto releases (I have: the GE999 Galaxy box, Arcadia of my Youth on the Animeigo gatefold, and the Yamato movie Perfect Collection box).

The nice thing about QM, the 999 movies, and AOMY, on LD is that this is the only format with the full 4x3 open matte image, which is cropped to widescreen on digital releases.It's nice having the extra information in frame, and while these movies may have been intended to be matted to widescreen during projection, they were drawn full frame. On the Arcadia LD you can even see where the background painting ends, at the bottom of the frame, for a few seconds during one scene.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 14:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Suruga-ya was my absolute favourite online store when I was living in Japan and I was overjoyed when I discovered a month ago that I can order from them again via Rakuten Ichiba. My first order went fine, my emails were answered within 24 hours and I am very happy with the items I bought. I made a big game order of PC Engine, SFC and Mega Drive games and even after 3 weeks, I had nothing from them. I also made 3 other LD orders and heard nothing from them. Rakuten sent me an email telling me that the 4 orders were being consolidated which I obviously did not want. I finally heard from Suruga-ya a few days later listing the titles from all 4 orders. I wrote back stating that once again I would like to know the condition and if the obi's are included and also that I would have to cancel some of the titles. That was 8 days ago and nothing.

I even wrote a long email in Japanese to 3 different email addresses multiple times and received nothing back so I have no clue what is going on. The service on their Japanese site was awesome but it has left a lot to be desired on Rakuten. I am just dying to have the items I ordered in my hands but I do not know if it will ever happen...

My advice when ordering from Suruga-ya if you are fussy about condition and having the obi included is to make to ask when they send the invoice asking for your confirmation email. I always did that with the games I bought in Japan and only received 2 crappy condition items. They are not in any way a collector's store so if you are a collector, it's best to ask.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 20:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, its a place for deals, not anal retentive or impatient people.

That being said, out of, I don't know maybe 20 LDs I've gotten from them they were all mint except for one missing the obi which I don't care about at all and one which was mint but was disc 8 (just disk 8) of an 8 LD set.

They are SO CHEAP though I just don't care. I mean, both MS Gundam box sets with the outer box for $25 and in perfect condition? As someone who really wanted that back with it was $800 that's a good enough deal that they'd have to screw me over 6 or 7 times for me to even start to care. I'm buying great anime for the same price as a copy of The Hunt for Red October on a local Craigslist ad.

I know people who own stores, and if they had merchandise taking up as much space as LDs do and it was as worthless as LDs apparently are now, it would just be thrown into a dumpster. It has to be really tempting for these guys to just bin all those copies of Tenchi Muyo episode 1-6 since they literally can't sell them for 100yen. I'm glad they resist the urge, and it can't be too exciting for them to spend time carefully packing up a huge lot of LDs for a $200 order when $120 of it is shipping. I don't see how its even worth their time.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 21:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
Yeah, its a place for deals, not anal retentive or impatient people.

That being said, out of, I don't know maybe 20 LDs I've gotten from them they were all mint except for one missing the obi which I don't care about at all and one which was mint but was disc 8 (just disk 8) of an 8 LD set.

They are SO CHEAP though I just don't care. I mean, both MS Gundam box sets with the outer box for $25 and in perfect condition? As someone who really wanted that back with it was $800 that's a good enough deal that they'd have to screw me over 6 or 7 times for me to even start to care. I'm buying great anime for the same price as a copy of The Hunt for Red October on a local Craigslist ad.

I know people who own stores, and if they had merchandise taking up as much space as LDs do and it was as worthless as LDs apparently are now, it would just be thrown into a dumpster. It has to be really tempting for these guys to just bin all those copies of Tenchi Muyo episode 1-6 since they literally can't sell them for 100yen. I'm glad they resist the urge, and it can't be too exciting for them to spend time carefully packing up a huge lot of LDs for a $200 order when $120 of it is shipping. I don't see how its even worth their time.

How much was shipping for your box set (out of curiosity)?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012, 08:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don't remember. It was a LOT I'm sure. I was part of a big order I made with a bunch of other stuff. To EMS that box set alone I'd expect to pay at least $65, maybe $100.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2012, 01:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ouch ! I feel your pain ! My biggest shipping hit was $225 several years ago.
Price of doing business ......
If only we lived there !!!!!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2012, 03:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If I lived there I would have had to pay $2M for my house so in the end I'm still ahead.

I would like to visit though...but then I'd still have to pay to ship back all the LDs!

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 22:56 
I received my order from suruga-ya on Saturday! The condition of this Queen Millennia LD definitely exceeded my expectations for a sight unseen disc: the obi is present (mint condition), the discs are perfect, and the jacket (aside from some tiny scuffs) is near mint. The disc was well packed, so it arrived with none of the shipping damage (like the cursed bumped corners :x) that happens with the occasional ebay disc :).

Suruga-ya is another great source for finding some elusive laserdisc, and I plan on searching for some more titles from them. Here are a few pics of my latest score:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 04:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have an order coming from the Rakuten shop of about 37 discs with a couple of doubles. It was a bit over 33,000yen for the discs and just under 20,000 for shipping :wtf: I have also ordered some things from their Japanese site and sent to a friend to send to me. The first order of nine discs was 2013yen including Vol.1-6 of Lord of Lords Ryu Knight (they were about 15 to 23 yen each!). Second order was 24 discs (including the last 11 volumes of Ryu Knight) which cost 13,000. There were 3 other smaller orders with Mainichi ga Nichiyoubi 1-3 (LOVE that show!), Mozaika Vol.2, Wolf Guy 3-6, Final Fantasy 2 (have 1, 3&4 in the Rakuten order), Good Morning Althea, Kiryu no Mimi 1&2, Del Power X and too many others I can't remember.

Ryu Knight cost 1730yen for all 17 discs so although I would rather have the lovely remastered DVD box, even with shipping it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 52,980yen for the DVD box! I did the same with Orguss, it cost about 6000 for all 5 volumes whereas the (lovely remastered) DVDs are stupidly overpriced. I'm sure both will be on BD one day though...

I guess slow is the order of the day with Suruga-ya these days because it took 3 weeks for them to ask me to send a confirmation e-mail for that first order, the others varied from 3 days to 2 weeks. At least I know that next time I order from Rakuten to just wait and not worry about how long it takes for an email. When I lived in Japan, every order I made was completed in 48 hours an that included them sending me an email about the condition and if the obi was included etc. They must be much busier these days.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 08:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I assume calculating shipping is what takes so long. Figuring out what it will cost to ship that massive lot you bought outside of the country would take a while.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 02:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Nah, those orders were made from their website and sent to a friend. It could just be with such a massive lot or discs, it takes longer to gather them all and then check them etc. I was extremely happy with every single disc they sent though. Only one out of seventeen Ryu Knight discs was without an obi and among the other 30+ there was only 2 others being Final Fantasy Vol.2 (goes along with the other 3, none of them have the obi) and MAZE OVA Vol.1. Everything was mint as well. I remembered why I used to love that website so much when I lived in Japan when those huge boxes arrived :D

There was one order that was sent that they didn't ask confirmation for which is strange. It was Mainichi ga Nichiyoubi 1-3, 3X3 EYES vol.4 and 3X3 EYES Seima Densetsu 1&2. Vol 4 and Vol.1 of 3X3 EYES did not have the obi and Vol.4 was a bit stained and icky looking and also has lots of noise in the picture. But thankfully, Mainichi ga Nichiyoubi 1-3 were mint with obi. 3X3 EYES cost 23yen for Vol.4 and 100 or so for Vol1 so I can easily replace those. MgN seems very hard to find a full set of, other than Rakuten's TSK shop which charges terrible prices for everything.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 02:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

im trying to check out but it says my invoice number is wrong...where do you find the invoice number????

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 21:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I did an order from them 2 days ago but it turns out that the only payment they can accept is local bank transfer, so I cant pay until I get to japan which only gives them 6 work days to get the package to me, can they make that ?

Do they accept paypal ? I saw somewhere that they accepted it but couldnt see that option at the checkout....

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 20:40 
I just opened my latest haul from Suruga-Ya! As usual, excellent laserdiscs at great prices, with all obis and inserts present.

First up, the classic shoujo series directed by Osamu Dezaki Oniisama E (BELL-610 to 614):

The episodes are spread across 10 discs in 5 gatefold jackets, with covers illustrated by Dezaki collaborator Sugino:

Check out this amazing poster which came with the first disc (pretty large, note obi for scale)! How often are original pack-ins like this still present with a LD?

Finally, I snagged a copy of the Bishojo Soft Special catalog of old school Japanese hentai computer games, for only 280 Yen!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 22:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Okay, what's the catch? I'm checking out this site through bing Translator, and some discs are coming up on sale for 20 yen (approx $0.21 USD). I don't recall a market for bootleg laserdiscs. Why are they so cheap??? Seriously. Looks like I can get most of my Japanese LD wishlist for less than $100 bucks total.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2013, 03:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The only catch is that there is no description, terrible comunication, and horrendously huge shipping costs.

Btw, I have a order from them that, according to tracking info, has been sitting in customs in Chicago for 5 days now. I've never had anything I've imported from Japan get scrutinized. I hope those dirtbags don't mess up or lose my stuff. The can charge me %100 VAT if they want, I don't care. 3/4 of the cost was shipping! :)

Page 1 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next