It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any titles released on DVD that are superior on LD?
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 03:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Since I got back into buying LD's in the past 2 months (I'm at about 120+ and counting :crazy: ), I've been thinking about whether there are LDs with superior video quality to some of the badly mastered DVDs out there. DVDs that were made with composite LD masters, or worse, for example. Anything released by King Records or Pioneer Jp in 1999-2002 that did not contain the words "Tenchi" or "Muyo". I detest King Records for those "remastered" BD sets of 3X3 EYES, Nuku Nuku and Blue Seed. I own the Streamline LD of 3X3 EYES and just bought all the CAV Japanese releases and they do indeed look much better than the Japanese and (especially) Pioneer DVD releases. I wont even mention the BD version... When my capture card arrives, I am going to rip the 3X3 EYES LDs just to see if they will look better than the official DVDs.

I bought Nuku Nuku TV and Dash on LD back in 2000 and later on I wished I had bought the DVDs instead but having just watched Nuku Nuku TV again, I am glad I went with LD back then. The Nuku Nuku TV LDs look amazing, I was amazed how good they looked on my less than fantastic LD player. I've seen the DVDs and they look pretty bad from what I remember. I can't wait to see what they look like on the CLD-D99 when I get it tomorrow.

Dominion is another with awful DVD releases in both the US and Japan. I bought Act I&II on LD but was disappointed in what I saw. At first I thought they looked much better than the horrible, ghosted DVDs but then it got to the scene where the Puma sisters and Baraku (? can't remember his name!) were in the ambulance with the picture jumping up and down (do not remember that on the DVDs actually) and the screen was just full of jaggies. It seemed to be full of jaggies all the time actually. It made the HD remasters of Utena, Nadesico and Card Captor Sakura look smooth and perfect like a Bandai Visual remaster! Not sure if it could be a problem with my disc or if Toshiba screwed up the mastering of the discs themselves. I didn't put Act II in yet.

So, does anyone have opinions on anime LDs that beat out their DVD equivalents?

Post subject: Re: Any titles released on DVD that are superior on LD?
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 03:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Legend of Arslan looks better on LD (IMO).

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 03:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i can think of one off hand, "beauty and the beast"

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 04:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

newtolaserelie wrote:
i can think of one off hand, "beauty and the beast"

General discussions - Anime

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 04:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The first Macross: DYRL was garbage. The LD was way better. The BR crushes everything though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 05:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
The first Macross: DYRL was garbage. The LD was way better. The BR crushes everything though.

i had that at one time, was it dark?
i have the english international version, it is a little dark and not crystal clear but great to own :thumbup:

unfortunatly the only one i can think of that i have both the LD and DVD is five star stories.
the DVD is a little sharper but i believe you get some more image on the sides of the LD?.

it's been a while since i've seen them, i know there is a difference but can't remember which.
so i guess i'll have to check them out again and report.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 05:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The Kimagure Orange Road DVDs are, I think, made from a composite video master, so the LD should be better.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 15:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

publius wrote:
The Kimagure Orange Road DVDs are, I think, made from a composite video master, so the LD should be better.

I have the Japanese DVDs (and the awful US ones along with the LD boxes which cost me a fortune back in the day) which are beautifully remastered. I think that anything Animeigo released on DVD looks better on LD :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 15:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:

I actually thought the original DYRL? DVD looked better than my CAV box set because the LD used a really dark master. The DVD HD remaster blew both away even though it looked like a 16mm print rather than the masters from the most expensive anime film ever made at the time! I was so pissed with the censorship on the BD version that I have not even watched it or the Flashback 2012/extras disc. I checked out the movie BD a little bit and was amazed that it still looks awful in certain scenes. It goes from horrible, thick grain to beautiful 35mm fine grain from scene to scene. One example is the whole opening sequence up to the Minmei concert. The concert looks gorgeous but every thing before that changed from cut to cut.

I did watch my FB2012 LD on my newly purchased CLD-D99 on Sunday and it looked amazingly good. So much better than the (second print of the) godawful DVD. The concert footage actually looked great! Unlike any version of DYRL?

I have the Jp Arslan DVD box and being a Sony release, of course it sucks. I will look into buying it on LD I think. I just bought KO Beast Senki on LD because it is a Sony title and anything they released on DVD before the "Aniplex" label were made from horrible, ancient composite master dumps. Plus, I have the US DVD version from back when TRSI did evil things to their DVD releases like hard subs and only using one opening/ending, despite it being 2 different series :roll: As for Sony R2J's, the Street Fighter II: Movie and Vampire Hunter D DVDs are the ugliest DVDs in my whole collection. They make CPM discs look good. My SFII: Movie LD isn't that great either though.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 19:35 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

publius wrote:

I haven't seen the DVDs in years since I last rented them but didn't they not include the OP/ED with every episode and instead only have it once per disc? I'd say for KOR that alone is reason to call the LD better. I love the music for KOR.

edit: also right after hitting submit I remembered my friend's brother claiming that the LDs for Tenchi Universe looked better but I haven't ever seen the DVD version of it. Maybe I'll have to borrow them from him and see. I know for the OVA the original DVDs in the fold out case look really good especially considering they put the whole thing on 2 discs, but I heard the Universe DVDs looked much worse. The ps3 does such a good job playing back anime that I think the Tenchi OVA discs played on the ps3 look better than the LDs on my cld-d504 if my memory serves me correctly.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 04:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

m45hu wrote:
publius wrote:

I haven't seen the DVDs in years since I last rented them but didn't they not include the OP/ED with every episode and instead only have it once per disc? I'd say for KOR that alone is reason to call the LD better. I love the music for KOR.

edit: also right after hitting submit I remembered my friend's brother claiming that the LDs for Tenchi Universe looked better but I haven't ever seen the DVD version of it. Maybe I'll have to borrow them from him and see. I know for the OVA the original DVDs in the fold out case look really good especially considering they put the whole thing on 2 discs, but I heard the Universe DVDs looked much worse. The ps3 does such a good job playing back anime that I think the Tenchi OVA discs played on the ps3 look better than the LDs on my cld-d504 if my memory serves me correctly.

Animeigo botched the KOR DVDs big time with the first press and caused a big stink with people that pre-paid for the box set. They did not bother to tell people buying the box that in their wisdom, and because they were too stupid to know what a DVD-9 was, decided to only have one opening per disc and have others as "extras". I was especially pissed off because it cost me a lot more than $250 to buy that box as I had to buy it, have it sent to a friend in the US and then they sent it to me. The exchange rate was not so good back then either. Because of the stink, they did have to re-print the discs with proper OPs/EDs intact and offered free replacements to those that had purchased the F'd up discs. Even though they do not send anything outside of NA, I did manage to get them to send me the replacement discs for my box in Australia :D The beautiful Japanese box set makes them (and my LD boxes) worthless to me now anyway, but at least I got them replaced.

As for Tenchi Universe, the original DVDs are indeed horrible. My LDs of Tenchi TV are packed away so I have not seen them for years but I do remember them looking much better. I just bought the cheap re-release of Tenchi Muyo! TV from Japan and those DVDs look great. Although they seem to be composite (Still! After all these years and 10,000 re-releases in Japan!). If you have seen TRSI's release of El Hazard TV, you will have an idea of what the Jp version looks like, although I think Tenchi TV looks a bit better. I guess that the new release from Funimation (ugh!) will be the same masters as the Japanese DVDs except with crappy English credits and horrible bitrate because it is shoved on 4 discs.

Speaking of Crappymation and awful bitrates, I am planning on buying the complete Slayers! collection on LD because every DVD release has been horrible. I have the old CPM boxes and bought the horrible Funimation set which looked even worse! I hoped that the Bandai Visual DVD boxes released in 2006 were component remasters but they were not. The BV movie/OVA discs I have are disgusting as well. I hope the LDs are a huge improvement!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 21:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Can dvd's be better? ;)
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 23:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Ghost in the shell boxset wastes the dvd

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 04:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i never picked up the DVD of DYRL but i didn't think the box LD was that dark.
the earlier pressings i thought were darker but it also may have been the disc/TV settings since it was a Japanese
release.
and what was censored on the bluray of DYRL?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 02:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I remember buying the dvd version of Frantic when it first came out in the late 90's. Horrific picture quality. I was lucky enough to be able to return it to the store and I still have the laserdiscc version, which had a much superior picture quality.
Kevin

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2012, 20:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I believe Cowboy Bebop was re-released in the US on DVD with a new transfer. The original releases were, in my opinion, were transfered from an LD (had a lot of cross-color artifacting on the original DVD releases.)

So the new transfer would hopefully be better than the LD (which was better than the original US DVD releases.)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 21:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
and what was censored on the bluray of DYRL?

There are 3 scenes censored from what I know, I still have not watched it though apart from a quick scan to see the quality. The first scene is after Millia finishes fighting the Zentradi on the ship when Hikaru and Misa are trying to escape. The part where she crushes the head of one of the dead bodies under her foot is badly blurred out and looks lazy and horrible. During the "climax" scene when Minmei is singing "Ai Oboete Imasuka?", there is the part where a guy's head gets chopped off from a piece of the ship falling on him, that is also censored. The was another part that was censored as well but I don't remember where it is supposed to be. It *could* be Bedolzer's head exploding/falling apart/melting at the very end.

What I thought was stupid is that during the first dogfight scene with Hikaru, Maxamillian, Kakizaki and Roy Fokker, Max shoots an enemy at close range and his head explodes. That was apparently OK but the decapitation and squashed head was not. It's just so stupidly inconsistent! It's a shame Ishiguro Noboru died this year, he would never have let his movie be desecrated in this way, it was all Kawamori!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 15:33 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Found another that is better on LD in a sense.

A couple years ago or so Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie was re-released on DVD in the US in subtitled form and uncut for the first time (previously, it was released by Sony dubbed only, in a "PG-13" form and an "uncut" form which really wasn't--cut out a few moments of nudity.)

Well, the re-release had the previously released dub on it remastered, and the uncut is also there subtitled, The uncut is also non-anamorphic with oodles of burned in cross-color and dot-crawl artifacting (with a bonus of MPEG "tiling" artifacts!) So if you have the Japanese LD with a decent LD player and comb filter, the LD would DEFINITELY look better than this "uncut" DVD!

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]