It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: How many times do you rebuy a title that has some laser rot?
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 03:32 
Just curious not counting a DADC pressing as i went to collecting japan releases for those like Heavy Metal & Eraser i gave up on getting anymore USA pressings of those. Took me several times to get a good Best Little Whorehouse in Texas & that was made by Pioneer just waiting on another Beverly Hills Cop 3 mine had a lousy picture another Pioneer pressing & a Full Metal Jacket had static on all of side 1 so i trashed it am still deciding on getting another one.

Post subject: Re: How many times do you rebuy a title that has some laser
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 06:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

myrtle1beach wrote:
Just curious not counting a DADC pressing as i went to collecting japan releases for those like Heavy Metal & Eraser i gave up on getting anymore USA pressings of those. Took me several times to get a good Best Little Whorehouse in Texas & that was made by Pioneer just waiting on another Beverly Hills Cop 3 mine had a lousy picture another Pioneer pressing & a Full Metal Jacket had static on all of side 1 so i trashed it am still deciding on getting another one.

I'll Try to avoid purchasing any laserrotter :thumbdown:
Had some known rotters once... the all found their way out.
I'ts pretty hard to assemble a decent copy and takes too long to make sure it's a rot free set
When I buy a collection the first thing I do is checking the "usual suspects" :lol: for laserrot.
I throw 'em away immediatly. don't want them, don't need them.
I guess some collectors are more patient when it comes to this :clap:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 17:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This depends on a number of factors. Pressing facility, date of replication, how much I'm willing to throw away on junked discs. I ended up purchasing 4 or 5 copies of "Hamlet" until I could assemble a good set and I probably went through a dozen copies of "Out to Sea". I've been through at least 6 copies of "Galaxina" and all seem to have the same issues - but that is par for the course from that time period on discs from Pioneer Japan. The same can be said for copies of "The Trail of the Pink Panther". I don't think I've ever found a good side 1.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 03:00 
I haven't done it yet but eventually I want a solid copy of Starship Troopers. I imagine there will be alot of rebuying involved there.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 03:05 
Probably have to get a japan import release.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 03:16 
myrtle1beach wrote:
Probably have to get a japan import release.

Thanks for the tip -- seriously, if those don't have problems then that will probably save me alot of trouble and $.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 16:26 
After seeing 5 Heavy Metals & never seeing a rot free Eraser I gave in several years ago & got the imports the subtitles dont bother me you get used to them.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 02:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Superior sound and picture quality makes up for subtitles atvthe bottom!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 02:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I just scored the japanese pressing of troopers,its supposed to be a very high quality pressing.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 05:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, but there is one scene in the class room talking about the A-bomb that is cut from the Japanese LD.
that's why i sold it.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 21:35 
rein-o wrote:
yes, but there is one scene in the class room talking about the A-bomb that is cut from the Japanese LD.
that's why i sold it.

Wow, that's too bad. I've seen mention of nudity censorship in Japanese releases as well. It's their point of view not mine, but it's unfortunate in cases like this!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 16:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I haven't rebought any of my rotters, unless you count the Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress that came with the Japanese box set.

I've been thinking about rebuying Heavy Metal. Just never got around to it.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 17:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

foolxmoney wrote:
rein-o wrote:
that's why i sold it.

Wow, that's too bad. I've seen mention of nudity censorship in Japanese releases as well. It's their point of view not mine, but it's unfortunate in cases like this!

If you ask me, Japan was one of the most uncensored countries when it comes to nudity and violence. But they did however blurred any kind of human Genetalia. Not a big thing if you ask me. But in some old releases the blur can be huge, I remember Story of O part 2 had a massive blur-out.

I guess the A-bomb was a little more sensitive for them. Doesnt bother me so much either.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 20:17 
johan184 wrote:
foolxmoney wrote:
rein-o wrote:
that's why i sold it.

If you ask me, Japan was one of the most uncensored countries when it comes to nudity and violence. But they did however blurred any kind of human Genetalia. Not a big thing if you ask me. But in some old releases the blur can be huge, I remember Story of O part 2 had a massive blur-out.

I guess the A-bomb was a little more sensitive for them. Doesnt bother me so much either.

Yeah, it wouldn't be too big a deal. A compromise but liveable. Subtitles are no problem for me either. You're right, and the specifics of the censorship are a bit quirky considering the violence and very edgy themes some Japanese filmmakers work with.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 09:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day all

When ever I find a Rotted US Laserdisc I will then try and get hold of a Japanese Version of the same Movie ect.

Usually a good move.

Fairy recent Example was Japanese version of ''The ShawShank Redemption'' of which is a gate fold cover.

When I purchased the US version of movie some years ago, the sound had fully gone and the picture was ''if I remember ok on one side but dreadful on the other.

Sincere Regards

:wave:

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]