It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Different releases of the Urusei Yatsura LD50?
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 05:12 
I've been doing some research into the mythical Urusei Yatsura LD50 box, and I wonder what edition is best? So far, I have found these: KFLD-1001~1050 (the first edition), KACL 001-050 (not sure about this one: the second run perhaps?), and finally the last edition PCLA-00150 (nonexistent? there seem to be none around).

Post subject: Re: Different releases of the Urusei Yatsura LD50?
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 06:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm only aware of the first run from the early 90s and the reprint from maybe 1997 or so. Both have identical content, as far as I know. A few big box sets were reprinted with similar timing such as the Rascal the Raccoon set.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 10:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I myself have the KFLD1001~1050 set, which has Pioneer mint markings and is rot free.

I think I have seen the PCLA-00150 set on yahoo auctions before, if you check auctions and ever come across a set where all 50 discs have an OBI each, you'll have found yourself a PCLA-00150 set most likely.

KACL 001-050 dunno about the difference, but one of the sets has a big "KAC" (Kitty Anime Club) Logo on the back, while the others do not.
The old Anime Cyclopedia listing has three release dates for the box sets:

Quote:
Released in 1987 and 1991, and now in 1994.

If you look for used make sure you see pictures of the top of the sets.
I have seen sets that were extremely filthy, even moldy.
The box being bright white does not really help I guess.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 19:03 
lons_vex wrote:
KACL 001-050 dunno about the difference, but one of the sets has a big "KAC" (Kitty Anime Club) Logo on the back, while the others do not.

That is probably this edition. "KACL" with the "L" perhaps denoting CLV, and the "KAC" referring to the Kitty Anime Club edition.

lons_vex wrote:
If you look for used make sure you see pictures of the top of the sets.
I have seen sets that were extremely filthy, even moldy.
The box being bright white does not really help I guess.

I was thinking about getting one of the sets that Surugaya has in stock, but the lack of pictures is a concern for the reason you pointed out. Surugaya has sent me very nice discs in my dealings with them, but an order this expensive gives me pause. They only ship EMS, so this would be an expensive proposition indeed (a recent order consisting of 11 discs cost 7500 yen shipping by EMS from them, so I'd guess at ~$400 +/- a good amount to get the LD50 to the USA). The LD50 comes in at about 26kg, if I recall correctly, so it would squeak by the EMS 30kg limit. I'm not familiar with any sellers in Japan willing to ship directly by sea mail (the lack of tracking and wait would be agonizing too), and bidding services would probably want quite a bit to deal with one of these from Yahoo JP.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2013, 07:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You could always send them a reply when they ask for the confirmation email asking for details of the condition of the box/discs etc. I always do that before confirmation so I can ask if the OBI are included. The big difference between the 2 sets was the price, with the second set being less than half what the first cost. The second set possibly has less chance of mold I would think. I don't know what it was about the material used for boxes/covers in the 80's and early 90's, but certain titles always seem to be prone to mold spots on the jacket and or box. I have a few, it is nasty. Made much worse when the cover is not only moldy but also covered in disgusting nicotine stains, yeck!

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2013, 16:06 
Surugaya informed me about a box set that was stained in one of my orders, so I was able to cancel before confirmation. It would definitely make sense to ask for the best UY set they have (there are often several in stock), given the mammoth shipping cost. I know what you mean about nasty looking white boxes: mold, water stains, and nicotine (lots of smoking in Japan) account for these stained boxes all too often: looking at Yahoo auctions etc. reveals all too many of the gross UY boxes lons_vex noted along with other titles unfortunate enough to be owned by chain smokers with musty homes :sick:.

One of these days, I'll pull the trigger on the UY LD50. Who can resist such a mammoth package?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2013, 17:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yes, dampness is quite the problem in Japan. I lent my Tenchi in Love! 2 and Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVA box discs to a friend for a few weeks back when I lived there and they came back looking like the inserts had been water damaged, grrr! I got WANNA-BE'S from yahoo last week and although it was well taken care of and still had the original shrinkwrap intact, it is covered in those 'orrible yellow spots and smells musty. I guess I missed that in the photos and description, lol.

I have never seen a clean copy of the original C-MOON release of CALL ME TONIGHT for sale but I managed to get one that was perfectly white with no mold where as the Bandai Visual version I own does contain a few spots. C-MOON CALL ME TONIGHT also had an obi which I have never seen before, maybe it was a later pressing. There are some other single LD releases I have seen that always have mold, the ones I have seen for sale at least. I want to buy a few box sets that are far cheaper than their DVD equivalents off yahoo such as God Mars (BD release is kinda pointless as it is SD) and Baldios. I have seen both for sale in really horribly moldy condition so they may be titles that are affected by it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]