Serious fan
Serious fan

These discs sure went for some yen last night:

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g120582520

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... n117946633

Looks like certain titles can still demand a good amount of cash :angel:

Post subject: Re: A couple of high prices on Yahoo Auction Japan
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 05:25 
The second link seems to be a box set of the title "Lemon Angel" (which may be somehow related to the classic hentai epic "Cream Lemon" based on the AnimeNewsNetwork entry). A Youtube search revealed this "interesting" :lol: Lemon Angel excerpt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHC8Gb4dHc :crazy: Damn...perverted magic mushrooms, anyone? :o :lol:

I believe that the Cream Lemon boxes are also still worth something in Japan, even with the flatlining LD prices in general over there. For example, here is one set that brought 16000 yen: http://y.aucfan.com/aucview/yahoo/h175131955/

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 08:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have that Lemon Angel Box.
It is a really nice set, tho be aware of the fact that all "DL-xxxx"
releases that I came across so far have problems with rot.
From none, to mild, to annoying levels.

Same goes for the Cream Lemon DL-xxxx releases.
The Best Collection box SHLY-xxxx is rot free.

That other expensive disc is from the "Lolita Anime" series.
Which is the first hentai to be ever published (ca. february 1984).
All discs from that show sell at collectors prices.
No idea what the rot status of those discs is.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 21:45 
lons_vex, do you know of any rot issues with the Cream Lemon PCLS-00001 box? As this box seem similar to the DL-0002 set, I was curious if it too might be susceptible to rot.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 22:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

In fact hentai is not so easy to find on LD, got some of it (eg twin angels), it's weird stuff ;)

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 22:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

harlock wrote:
lons_vex, do you know of any rot issues with the Cream Lemon PCLS-00001 box? As this box seem similar to the DL-0002 set, I was curious if it too might be susceptible to rot.

I have the PCLS-00001 box set as well, and mine is rot free.
Also, it includes more episodes than the DL-0002 set.
What will you miss?
The telephone cards and the CD's.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 01:52 
have you ever found anime/hentai ld in stores or from people who arent in japan?

should i be on the lookout for imports here or is this something that was rarely imported? note that i like anime and i'm not talking about looking for it to resell.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 02:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Hentai stuff was a reliable but overall small part of the Japanese scene. Most Gundam or Ghibli LDs outnumber even the most popular hentai LD 200 to 1. Contrary to what a lot of American fans think, the vast majority of Japanese fans don't even know that you can buy anime where woman are raped by demons until their bodies literally explode as if they had land mines surgically implanted in their uterus, and if they did, most would have no interest in it.

In the US hentai was disproportionally popular in the 90s since most anime consumers were in their 20s or older. I'm sure there are several hentai OVAs that never would have been produced at all if the US market wasn't part of the finiacial equation from the beginning of production. However, they still didn't import much of it for several reasons.

The domestic market was pretty significant (I'm going to say that half of all hentai, at least, was probably sold on the US at some point, both in number of copies and number of titles).

Import anime LDs were expensive and p0rn cartoons were not a huge hit with the affluent.

US releases are usually uncensored.

Fansubs (or at least the idea of someday maybe pulling it off) were a motivator of import anime purchasing. Fansubs of hentai were rare. It takes money to buy the LDs, bilingual talent to translate it, time to time it and equipment to record it. By that time most hentai fans would have "cranked one out", if you know what I mean, and lost interest in the project (assuming Software Sculpters or ADV didn't license it by that time) which is the same reson most hentai fans don't finish school, get actual girls, work at Burger King until they die, etc. it's too easy to satisfy yourself with short term rewards.

Not all hentai is predicated on murder, rape, demons, and pedophilia...but man, a LARGE amount of it certainly is, and since this isn't the Middle Ages and Vlad the Impaler is long gone, that sort of thing only speaks to a very small segement of the world. Therefore, hentai LDs are rare.

Last edited by signofzeta on 13 Apr 2013, 09:21, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 03:29 
I have been able to get the occasional Cream Lemon disc on eBay, and other hentai LD titles do surface occasionally. The Cream Lemon anthology is a pretty unique hentai production though, as the episodes will have interesting stories (in addition to the hentai stuff) and the classic 80's character designs in CL are also quite nice. Standout eps of CL such as "Escalation" are nice 80's anime with a unique atmosphere too. These elements explain why quite a few Cream Lemon eps have been fansubbed recently.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 21:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tinkerwb wrote:
have you ever found anime/hentai ld in stores or from people who arent in japan?

should i be on the lookout for imports here or is this something that was rarely imported? note that i like anime and i'm not talking about looking for it to resell.

I've picked up a couple at random in lots of discs acquired from inside the US. There were a few US releases, as well, such as U-Jin Brand. But going in search of them would be pretty pointless, I think.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]