It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [HLD-X9] Rattling sound from when playing CLV
PostPosted: 03 May 2013, 21:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello,

I recently bought a Pioneer HLD-X9, which was apparently kept in storage by the previous owner and had very little use before then. It looks absolutely pristine and even smells new!

So far I've noticed just one problem, that I hope is a minor one and can be corrected. When playing CLV discs with uneven warp (usually brand-new discs kept in their shrink-wrap for too long), towards the end of a CLV side a loud rattling noise appears, continuing right until the 'end' point of the side when the noise suddenly stops, even though the disc is still rotating and the laser is still reading the disc. Having opened up the player I can't pinpoint the noise, except to say that it seems to be from below the disc tray, like something's loose. I'm fairly sure the noise isn't from the disc itself, or the Spindle Motor, and I don't think it's from the Laser Pick-Up. The clamping mechanism looks fine too. :?

I know there are some really knowledgeable people on the forum, so I thought I'd post here and listen to your advice. I've uploaded a short video to YouTube so you can hopefully hear what I mean:

Just to summarize the problem:

The noise only happens towards the end of a CLV side (usually 40+ minutes), and only if there's some degree of warp to the disc.
The noise occurs on both sides, not just side B.
It never happens on CAV sides.
I don't see any crosstalk or any other picture distortions, which suggests the laser tracking is OK.
The same discs play quietly in my other LD player, a Pioneer CLD-2950.

I'll be interested to know your thoughts. 8-)

Post subject: Re: Rattling Sound from HLD-X9 when Playing CLV
PostPosted: 03 May 2013, 23:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I wonder what exactly it is you mean with "slightly" warped.
I'd not play any disc that is (noticeably) warped.
Never heard that kind of noise from my HLD-X9.

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 00:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

lons_vex wrote:
I wonder what exactly it is you mean with "slightly" warped.
I'd not play any disc that is (noticeably) warped.

I mean you can only tell the disc is warped by placing it on a flat surface and studying very closely. It really is only slight (albeit uneven) and LD players should be able to cope with that level of warp. It's quite common for shrink-wrapped US releases to suffer from this type of warp, especially if they've remained wrapped for years, and the only thing the discs have in common is that they were shrink-wrapped for several years. It isn't the 'bowl' shaped warp that results from improper storage, and funnily enough the X9 plays those without any noise.

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 02:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You play warped discs and you are going to get some noise. The closer to the outer edge the greater the warp peaks. If it is playing the movie fine then don't worry. All you can try to do is verify the tracking servo and the tangential angle adjustments. But if there is not any crosstalk noise then I'd just enjoy the player. Especially when flat LDs work fine.

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 03:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tony426 wrote:

don't play warped discs as per the instructions of the player and inner sleeves :D

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 13:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
tony426 wrote:

don't play warped discs as per the instructions of the player and inner sleeves :D

True, except I think they had more obvious warp in mind. :)

Another solution would be to play them in my CLD-2950, which plays everything without a problem. I didn't realise the X9 was so fussy about the disc being perfectly flat. I'm also willing to bet those same discs wouldn't produce such a noise when played in other X9s.

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 13:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

krbahr wrote:
You play warped discs and you are going to get some noise. The closer to the outer edge the greater the warp peaks. If it is playing the movie fine then don't worry. All you can try to do is verify the tracking servo and the tangential angle adjustments. But if there is not any crosstalk noise then I'd just enjoy the player. Especially when flat LDs work fine.

This noise is quite unusual though, and much louder than can be heard in my video clip. The frustrating part is that I can't pinpoint the cause. I thought it would be obvious when watching the disc during playback, but no such luck.

It sounds like some kind of gear movement, or a loose gear. Is there anything like that involved during tracking or tilt adjustment?

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 21:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

best bet would be to post some pictures with the top off so others can see what might be the issue.
good luck with it.

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 01:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've had that happen too with a warped disc. On a CLV disc it slows down quite a bit when playing near the outer edge, so there's more warp to it then when it's spinning faster which helps flatten the disc out. A CAV spinning at a constant faster speed keeps the disc more flat when playing right to the outer edge.

As with my disc some of my players have more clearance room inside so a warped disc does not rub on anything unless it's really warped, compared to other players that can not tolerate as much wrap on a disc.

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 02:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There's a chance it's rubbing the disc tray. On most players I've seen, there isn't a whole lot of clearance between the tray and the disc when it's spinning.

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 17:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I don't think the noise is from the disc rotating, and the disc certainly isn't touching the tray. In fact, the noise stops immediately as the 'end' point of the side is reached, when the disc is spinning at the same slow speed and the laser is still reading the disc.

If the problem only affects a small number of discs, then it's something I could live with. I've found 3 discs so far that exhibit these symptoms, all of which play fine in my 2950. Hopefully I won't find too many more.

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 18:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Honestly, as long as the disc plays fine with no crosstalk and the like I wouldn't even worry about it. It's hardly audible with the top off as-is nor does it seem to be hurting the disc or player.

Post subject: Re: Rattling Sound from HLD-X9 when Playing CLV  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 12:14 
True fan
True fan

krbahr wrote:

good! cause i have heared these ratteling sounds while running way out on side B. feared it was the spindle or the bearings on the clamp on top of the disc :)
-pix

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]