It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:44

Page 20 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 03:58 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Jim jarmush. You reminded me I should watch ghostdog again.

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 04:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
You realize that a "well calibrated" CRT is more accurate than any LCD made, right?

I ran BRs in SD for years. They look just fine. In SD the MPEG artifacts on DVDs are obvious, but never on BR. Even in SD BR is a significant upgrade.

And seriously, with the enormous size of some of these new TVs the individual pixels are just as huge as things were in the SD days. 1080p is decent resolution, but at 72" friggn inches or whatever you've got a bigger pixel than the ones on my 720p 34" CRT.

I love CRTs. LCDs are just too cooked and extreme and insane, which is great for Iron Man or whatever but some stuff just "pops" way way too much. I mean, look at your TV, then look around your house, out the window, down the street...notice how not a single thing in real life looks like that? I don't want my Jim Jarmush movies to look like Lucky Charms ads.

Watching Blu-Rays on a HD-ready CRT via component is fine because its still HD despite the limits in screen size (which would be hard for me to go back to), but watching Blu-Rays on a SD CRT via composite is utterly pointless. Sorry I just cannot see how anyone would bother with Blu-Ray if you don't have a HD display of some sort. I could understand having a Blu-Ray player connected to a SD CRT with the consideration that you are going to upgrade your display in the near future, but anything else is just unnecessary. Sure they might look "fine" and sure they might clean up some of the MPEG artifacts on DVDs but you are not even seeing 1/3 of what Blu-Ray is capable of. Its a HD device that is meant for HDTVs. Whats the point? May as well just stick with DVD since they are cheaper.

My 55" LCD/LED is fine tuned with a very realistic picture that is absolutely nothing like the vivid torched crap you see on the store room floors on display. I turn all processing "so-called" enhancements OFF, sharpness is low and the colour temperature is set to 'warm' and with all the other controls set correctly (contrast, tint, colour, brightness, backlight), the image I get is as close to anything I've ever had to mimicking what is seen in theaters. A very natural warm cinematic picture.

But hey different strokes for different fokes. I'm not going to blast anyone, if they are happy then that is all that matters, I'm just stamping my opinion on certain matters.

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 14:10 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

alien wrote:
I'm sure it does and 40" is a decent size, but its still not going to look as great as a well calibrated bigger LCD/LED, Plasma or projector. Being 1080i instead of Full-HD 1080p would have an impact as well I would have thought. I'm not saying HD-ready CRTs are no good for Blu-Ray I'm just saying in the case of the format bigger is better as long as its a well calibrated quality unit.

I don't have the room for a giant LCD, nor would I want one because while it would be good for one format, it isn't for another. And I have calibrated the picture for BR with DVE and like I said, it looks amazing. Friends whom I've had over couldn't believe the BR picture I was getting from an "antiquated" CRT.

If you want to severely compromise one of your formats for the sake of another (even if you might think I'm compromising the BR picture, but let's face it, LD on a huge LCD/LED which really aren't built with analog video in mind is far more compromised), go right ahead. I'll stick with my setup so I can have all my devices looking great.

Plus, I have a helluva a lot more LDs than Blus so which one should I give precedence? :D

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 04:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I don't have the room for a giant LCD, nor would I want one because while it would be good for one format, it isn't for another. And I have calibrated the picture for BR with DVE and like I said, it looks amazing. Friends whom I've had over couldn't believe the BR picture I was getting from an "antiquated" CRT.

If you want to severely compromise one of your formats for the sake of another (even if you might think I'm compromising the BR picture, but let's face it, LD on a huge LCD/LED which really aren't built with analog video in mind is far more compromised), go right ahead. I'll stick with my setup so I can have all my devices looking great.

Plus, I have a helluva a lot more LDs than Blus so which one should I give precedence? :D

You make some very fair reasonable points elahrairrah that I honestly didn't think about. I agree with you that Laserdisc on a massive LCD/LED is going to be a far bigger compromise then it is for watching a Blu-Ray on a HD-ready CRT. Sure in the case of Blu-Ray and CRT technology the format isn't really living up to its full potential (as far as size goes anyway), but I'm sure on a HD-ready display it would still look very good like you said which wouldn't be the case with a giant screen exposing and magnifying all the flaws and limitations of Laserdisc. It also makes all the more sense if you have more LDs and want to preserve them in the best way possible assuming that is the most popular active format in your household. :thumbup:

I actuelly have a reserved 32" LCD for Laserdisc, upconverted DVD and HD gaming in one room, and a 55" LCD/LED for Blu-Ray with a 5.1 surround sound system in another. So I guess the situation is a bit different for me then it is for you guys, but I do understand what you mean about compromising. For example no way in hell would I hook up my CLD-D925 to my 55" LCD/LED HDTV, yet nor would I hook up my Blu-Ray player to my 32" LCD either. Works both ways..

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 16:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've been watching War and Remembrance on DVD. TV mini-series from 1988 which is the sequel to The Winds of War 1983. These are a few of the most expensive mini-series ever produced. Great storyline with a lot of great actors - Robert Mitchum - Jane Seymour - John Gielgud - etc. A lot of action, some romance, a great actor playing Hitler, great music. I really enjoy the old TV mini-series and this is one of the best.

PostPosted: 31 May 2013, 04:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Although having said, I'm guessing the best high quality scalers can definitely boost the picture quality of Laserdisc on larger modern LCD/LED/Plasmas..

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 12:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tomtastic wrote:
Cloud Atlas, totally not what I thought this would be. Disappointed to say the least.

I loved that film, but then I was a fan of the book so knew what to expect. I imagine that if you've no idea what's coming it could be a bit of an assault on the senses.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 19:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
Top Gun
Format: HD DVD
Audio: TrueHD

First time watching Top Gun in HD. The picture is astounding, audio is superb! I don't have a digital transfer of the movie yet so I just have some shots of TV screen.

There appears to be a boom mic fluttering around in the upper right corner of this scene:

(That is a fan blade not boom microphone) if you noticed in the shots before it when questions Maverick, at the restricted flying height. and then walks over to the other side of the room standing near the window with fan fitted to the sidewall as its rather hot day. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 02:36 
True fan
True fan

Dune (1984) [27781]

I'd forgotten how bad portions of this is. The overacting, the monologues to summarize the plot, the bastardization of the ending, the weirding modules. That being said, I'm a huge fan of the books and the look of the movie is really good which is why I keep coming back to it every couple of years. I found myself quoting it multiple times so it has definitely made an impression on me. The image quality is really good and the audio was fine, although it wasn't exceptional.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 11:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

chente wrote:
Dune (1984) [27781]

I'd forgotten how bad portions of this is. The overacting, the monologues to summarize the plot, the bastardization of the ending, the weirding modules. That being said, I'm a huge fan of the books and the look of the movie is really good which is why I keep coming back to it every couple of years. I found myself quoting it multiple times so it has definitely made an impression on me. The image quality is really good and the audio was fine, although it wasn't exceptional.

I'm generally of the same opinion, though I watched it recently for the first time in ages and was surprised at how well the first two thirds of the film hold up. It's problems really start when Lynch realises he's got to round up the last half of the book in under an hour and it all falls apart completely. Even if that had been fixed there were several other problems, like the depiction of the Harkonens and those annoying weirding modules.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 14:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

alien wrote:
Although having said, I'm guessing the best high quality scalers can definitely boost the picture quality of Laserdisc on larger modern LCD/LED/Plasmas..

That's only good of you are watching full screen/4:3 LD programs/movies. You'll still have to zoom in on the picture if you're watching a letterboxed Laserdisc--thus still compromising the picture (unless you like watching it windowboxed.)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 23:06 
I'm just going to sit and watch Spawn with a beer. I haven't seen this film in an age, and I remember that it's, well...pretty poor. But what the hell.

I know this is probably blasphemy on here, but I really need to get my rear speakers set up. I moved house not long ago and my amp settings are all over the place. Ah well, something to set my mind too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 05:02 
True fan
True fan

An old favorite tonight. North by Northwest: Special Edition #45 (1959) [CC1145L]

It is one of the older LDs with only an analog track. Looks and sounds decent but nowhere reference quality.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 05:06 
True fan
True fan

nottsville wrote:
I'm just going to sit and watch Spawn with a beer. I haven't seen this film in an age, and I remember that it's, well...pretty poor. But what the hell.

I know this is probably blasphemy on here, but I really need to get my rear speakers set up. I moved house not long ago and my amp settings are all over the place. Ah well, something to set my mind too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yeah, its pretty bad, but it looks and sounds great. Crank it up!

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 20:09 
True fan
True fan

chente wrote:
An old favorite tonight. North by Northwest: Special Edition #45 (1959) [CC1145L]

It is one of the older LDs with only an analog track. Looks and sounds decent but nowhere reference quality.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. After thinking about it a little, I'd upgrade my video rating to "good" from decent.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 21:14 
True fan
True fan

chente wrote:
chente wrote:

I enjoyed this quite a bit. After thinking about it a little, I'd upgrade my video rating to "good" from decent.

I've wondered how the CAV box compared to the later CLV I have. The digital track improves over the analog for clarity but there is inherent hiss/damage. Still this mono track is original and far better mixed than the modern 5.1 version. Additionally the print used shows off what is likely the closest video color timing to 1959. i still need to try the later MGM pressing which has a different framing and timing and a cleaner mono track (with titles in stereo)

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 21:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just got It Came From Hollywood and Rock N Roll High School, so today has been fun. Also chatting with the engineer who designed the Runco's mod boards and also replaced the 900’s master clock with a higher accuracy one in the Runco.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 03:04 
True fan
True fan

Golden Earring: Notorious Videos (1984) [PA-85-M022]

Twilight Zone and 2 other tracks I'd never heard before. Pretty good audio. Video is a little soft. Some freaky videos, particularly When the Lady Smiles one. These are the unedited "European" cuts, but there wasn't anything too racy, at least by today's standards.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 16:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just got the Disney THX CAV Aladdin LaserDisc - I already own the CLV version which isn't THX or WS and the audio differences are striking. The CLV used the 9db headroom limited Dolby Stereo SR soundtrack while the THX WS CAV used the 20db headroom SR master that was created for the Dolby Digital release prints. The CAV discs sound has a power and clarity that the CLV cant match with its more limited headroom. The CAV has brighter, more saturated colors tha the CLV, but a bit more chroma noise although the Runco and MSB LS-1 eliminate it almost entirely. The CLV appears to be just a full frame open matte transfer but the WS framing on the CAV THX works much better.

Both versions Dolby Stereo soundtracks were surround decoded with the Shure HTS-5300 Acra-Vector Logic decoder which produces superior results to Dolby PL-II or plain Pro Logic.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 22:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Watched Tough Guys (1986) [511 AS], good movie, picture was pretty good. Not SDH which I didn't like. Now in the middle of Band of Brothers bluray. 3rd time watching, 1st time for bluray. My new speakers and sub make a big difference.

Page 20 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 56  Next