It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:57

Page 3 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Ordering from Suruga-Ya
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 08:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

More than the purchase price by a fair amount.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 23:41 
Read through the thread, but sorry if I missed this...

Has anyone tried ordering one of the many LDs that are listed at 1~3 days to ship? My naive assumption is that they don't have these in stock, and I could be waiting months (or eternity!) to get these items... but does anyone have an experience to share?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2013, 15:10 
nickgoracke wrote:

Has anyone tried ordering one of the many LDs that are listed at 1~3 days to ship? My naive assumption is that they don't have these in stock, and I could be waiting months (or eternity!) to get these items... but does anyone have an experience to share?

Well, to update... I ordered whatever Rakuten (and eventually directly with the Suruga-Ya website, which is cheaper and its stock is in sync with Rakuten) allowed me to put in my cart. Over 100 LDs, all for rock-bottom prices, and only 1 was out of stock. I can't believe this is the first time I ever heard of this website. I want to make a couple more orders just because this is so amazing, but between this and other Rakuten orders this week, I've probably got 200+ pounds of LDs sitting in Japan waiting for my next trip... and I can't even carry back everything I already bought. Or I guess I could pay 1000 bucks to have it all shipped!

All but one shipment (the one with the out of stock LD) arrived within days of ordering (shipment to a Japan address). I'm not there to inspect the condition, but what I've seen in pictures looks exactly as I would expect from used goods in Japan - some are missing OBIs, but overall the jackets are in good shape.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 12:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nickgoracke wrote:
nickgoracke wrote:

Well, to update... I ordered whatever Rakuten (and eventually directly with the Suruga-Ya website, which is cheaper and its stock is in sync with Rakuten) allowed me to put in my cart. Over 100 LDs, all for rock-bottom prices, and only 1 was out of stock. I can't believe this is the first time I ever heard of this website. I want to make a couple more orders just because this is so amazing, but between this and other Rakuten orders this week, I've probably got 200+ pounds of LDs sitting in Japan waiting for my next trip... and I can't even carry back everything I already bought. Or I guess I could pay 1000 bucks to have it all shipped!

All but one shipment (the one with the out of stock LD) arrived within days of ordering (shipment to a Japan address). I'm not there to inspect the condition, but what I've seen in pictures looks exactly as I would expect from used goods in Japan - some are missing OBIs, but overall the jackets are in good shape.

Some airlines allowes you to order extra weight for luggage, I believe 100lds should be about 40 kg, Japan-Sweden that would cost about 150 usd.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 18:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

How do you guys pay Surugay ? My swedish credit cards didnt work with them, never understood why. (visa), and bank transfer is a b**ch when you dont have any time while in Japan.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2013, 20:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I use a regular Visa card. I only had one issue, and that was when the bank freaked out needlessly because it was an international purchase. I contacted the bank and told Surugaya to re-run the transaction and everything was fine.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 10:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
I use a regular Visa card. I only had one issue, and that was when the bank freaked out needlessly because it was an international purchase. I contacted the bank and told Surugaya to re-run the transaction and everything was fine.

Did you pay on Rakuten or Sur. ?

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 14:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Always Rakuten.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 01:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

They accept Paypal too I think.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 19:01 
johan184 wrote:
Some airlines allowes you to order extra weight for luggage, I believe 100lds should be about 40 kg, Japan-Sweden that would cost about 150 usd.

The trick is lugging a couple 40 kg bags to the airport. ;)

One thing to note - I'm probably up to 2 or 300 LDs over 7~8 orders directly from the Suruga-ya website - 2 have been out of stock, and one box set had some damage/scratches to the discs. For each order with a discrepancy, they required me to fill out a form on their website confirming the purchase (the warning stated if I didn't respond in 7 days, they would cancel the order). On a few occasions, they've also sent an email apologizing that due to a high volume of orders, it will be a little while before they can start packing my order. In this case, no confirmation was required on my part.

So, watch your email!

Finally, I noticed that when ordering from Rakuten, they have their stock split between an outlet store and a regular store. When making an order from their outlet store via Rakuten, the only option I was given for payment was Cash On Delivery to a Japanese address. Mapping the stock from Rakuten back to Suruga-ya website, it looks like the Suruga-ya website doesn't have such a limitation... it's all listed & shipped from the same place.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 16:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nickgoracke wrote:
johan184 wrote:

The trick is lugging a couple 40 kg bags to the airport. ;)

One thing to note - I'm probably up to 2 or 300 LDs over 7~8 orders directly from the Suruga-ya website - 2 have been out of stock, and one box set had some damage/scratches to the discs. For each order with a discrepancy, they required me to fill out a form on their website confirming the purchase (the warning stated if I didn't respond in 7 days, they would cancel the order). On a few occasions, they've also sent an email apologizing that due to a high volume of orders, it will be a little while before they can start packing my order. In this case, no confirmation was required on my part.

So, watch your email!

Finally, I noticed that when ordering from Rakuten, they have their stock split between an outlet store and a regular store. When making an order from their outlet store via Rakuten, the only option I was given for payment was Cash On Delivery to a Japanese address. Mapping the stock from Rakuten back to Suruga-ya website, it looks like the Suruga-ya website doesn't have such a limitation... it's all listed & shipped from the same place.

I always have a carrier on wheels with be, a small one, then I just take the carrier as hand luggage.

But one time they changed my departure time, so I was 1 hour late and only had 30min to the departure. Then they took everything on the scale, didnt say a word and it went away in to the machinery. After all the luggage was gone they told me they needed to charge for the extra weight, think it was like 15kg total, and they wanted 45 000 yen for that! Since the luggage already sent away and 30 min to my flight I didnt feel like trying to debate this so I just paid it, I really wanted to get home to. So that time I actually paid 200 usd for a wheel carrier that costs 25 usd new.

I just ordered last week from Suruga on Rakuten, I have tried from their own website when I am in Japan but my credit cards didnt work for them. Now I finally ordered 11 items I have been wanting for a very long time.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 00:24 
johan184 wrote:
I always have a carrier on wheels with be, a small one, then I just take the carrier as hand luggage.

But one time they changed my departure time, so I was 1 hour late and only had 30min to the departure. Then they took everything on the scale, didnt say a word and it went away in to the machinery. After all the luggage was gone they told me they needed to charge for the extra weight, think it was like 15kg total, and they wanted 45 000 yen for that! Since the luggage already sent away and 30 min to my flight I didnt feel like trying to debate this so I just paid it, I really wanted to get home to. So that time I actually paid 200 usd for a wheel carrier that costs 25 usd new.

I just ordered last week from Suruga on Rakuten, I have tried from their own website when I am in Japan but my credit cards didnt work for them. Now I finally ordered 11 items I have been wanting for a very long time.

Years ago (back when they still sold LDs in stores) at Narita, they would scan luggage before it was checked in. I have fond memories of my bag going through, and seeing nothing but an x-ray of giant discs on the big screen. Anyway, since the only weight limit I'm aware of for carry-ons is one's ability to lift it into the overhead bins, that sounds like a pretty good trick to fit a few more in.

I've had a terrible time shopping at Japanese websites with my US-based Visa cards. Vendors claim the charges are getting rejected, and Visa claims a request to charge my card never materialized. American Express always seems to work fine, though...

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 15:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nickgoracke wrote:
johan184 wrote:

Years ago (back when they still sold LDs in stores) at Narita, they would scan luggage before it was checked in. I have fond memories of my bag going through, and seeing nothing but an x-ray of giant discs on the big screen. Anyway, since the only weight limit I'm aware of for carry-ons is one's ability to lift it into the overhead bins, that sounds like a pretty good trick to fit a few more in.

I've had a terrible time shopping at Japanese websites with my US-based Visa cards. Vendors claim the charges are getting rejected, and Visa claims a request to charge my card never materialized. American Express always seems to work fine, though...

sounds like you having the same problem as me. To bad since it cost them more to accept a credit card than a bank card with visa. In Japan I know some stores don't accept the cards if you don't have the pin code for it, 4 digit number. Then it just stands still and starts beeping. They online shops might have the same limitation. If so its probably visa having to much problem with scammers abroad that don't use pin codes. If you want to use your card in Sweden you will have to show your id, but I never had to ID myself abroad when using my card without the pin code.

Page 3 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3