It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:38

Page 1 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Elephant Condoms :(
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 03:28 
Need I really say more??

Yes. I needeth.

We all hate them, right? Ok... Maybe not all of us, but I believe the general consensus is that they suck. That being said, I feel the need to rant, so bear with me.

I have received about 7 LDs in the last week - all beautiful criterion discs - and everything is great about them, except that they ALL came with ECs. Every single disc. If we all hate them so bad... And LDs have not been manufactured in just over a decade... why do they still exist? I feel like they should have all been replaced by now. I got it, some of us are crazy completists... But if you consider "complete" having the original ECs that shipped with your discs, you have real issues that go far beyond your obsession with an all but completely dead format.

Anyway, I have been drinking and going through all my discs. Sorry for the rant?

Anyone that disagrees and wants to fight about it? :angel:

Post subject: Re: Elephant Condoms :(
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 04:20 
True fan
True fan

No fighting. They suck. I've replaced nearly all of mine.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 04:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

well, i want to fight but also don't :D

i agree, they suck but then again i had some other sleeves and the only ones that fit best into Japanese covers are the ECs :(
so i ended up replacing all of them.
you can get them for LPs, they are anti static, not that it matters for LDs but thats how they sell them and keep them around all these years.

for my USA discs i have the paper with plastic sleeves, they fit fine, but the Japanese i just keep them EC and take my time.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 05:27 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Absolutely hate the things....must have been the bean counters that came up with them! I have replaced all mine with poly-lined paper. I love crumpling the damn things up and throwing them in the recycling bin as I cuss at them!

Oh yea, and have another drink on me! Cheers!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 07:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you have one of those plastic-bag sealers, you can seal them. I don't know if that's useful at all, though. Is there any kind of household item that could be stored in one? It might come in handy when shipping LDs — two quick seals at 45-degree angles across the opening, & the disc can't slide out during shipping. And you can clip the excess corners off with scissors. Of course, then the recipient has the interesting puzzle of how to remove the sleeve without taking a razor-knife to the disc!

Otherwise, yeah, they're awful.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 09:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I actually prefer ECs. I find them far easier to slip into and out of as they are absolutely frictionless so impose no wear on the sleeve or disc.
There is a skill in how to handle them though. I can tell in about 2 seconds when I remove an EC from a used LD if the person
who previously owned the disc knew how to correctly handle the inner bag - if it comes from the US, the answer is nearly always no!
The reason is simple - the bag is twisted, stretched, crumpled, torn, split and/or covered in grime!
I generally replace all damaged inner bags with new ones from Japan which makes them really easy to use and hygienic so my
inner jackets don't become breeding grounds for bacteria.

I'll post some pictures or maybe a video to show how to use ECs as I really do believe they are the best option.
With proper handling the bag remains in perfect shape and is child's play to insert and remove every time.

I absolutely hate paper sleeves. They absorb moisture from your hands and turn brown, they crumple, crease and are often oversized forcing
them to jut out from the jacket opening. They can scratch the outer most portion of the disc because the polyliner doesn't always
cover the whole inner part of the paper bag. They also impose wear on the inner part of the jacket when you insert & remove them due to the
high friction of paper rubbing against card. I take my learning from the Japanese as they always know best - use ECs.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 25 Jul 2013, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 10:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I actually prefer ECs. I find them far easier to slip into and out of as they are absolutely frictionless so impose no wear on the sleeve or disc.
There is a skill in how to handle them though. I can tell in about 2 seconds when I remove an EC from a used LD if the person
who previously owned the disc knew how to correctly handle the inner bag - if it comes from the US, the answer is nearly always no!
The reason is simple - the bag is twisted, stretched, crumpled, torn, split and/or covered in grime!
I generally replace all damaged inner bags with new ones from Japan which makes them really easy to use and hygenic so my

I'll post some pictures or maybe a video to show how to use ECs as I really do believe they are the best option.
With proper handling the bag remains in perfect shape and child's play to insert and remove every time.

I absolutely hate paper sleeves. They absorb moisture from your hands and turn brown, they crumple, crease and are often oversized forcing
them to jut out from the jacket opening. They can scratch the outer most portion of the disc because the polyliner doesn't always
cover the whole inner part of the paper bag. They also impose wear on the inner part of the jacket when you insert & remove them due to the
high friction of paper rubbing against card. I take my learning from the Japanese as they always know best - use ECs.

I must second the post by laserdisc_fan .........
If maintained without crumpling they are most handy and useful, though most importantly CLEAN !

Don't wish to fight about it however will post an opinion to disagree with the disdain .......

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 11:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
laserdisc_fan wrote:
I generally replace all damaged inner bags with new ones from Japan which makes them really easy to use and hygenic so my

With proper handling the bag remains in perfect shape and child's play to insert and remove every time.

I must second the post by laserdisc_fan .........
If maintained without crumpling they are most handy and useful, though most importantly CLEAN !

Don't wish to fight about it however will post an opinion to disagree with the disdain .......

I too like them. They have always used the anti static bags for vinyl in japan. I feel that dirt that can scratch discs doesnt stick to the plastic bag like paper bags does.

Of course, the paper bag with plastic inside is the best.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 14:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Guys,

I have around 800 Laserdisc titles and all inner e.c sleeves have been replaced with anti static LP sleeves and all fit well.

Yes sure some outer covers I have found a little struggle to get them into, but I am happy with the care that I have taken with each title.

MGM titles are great as they already have the ANTI Static as standard issue, and well done on their part for going the extra mile in ''what I would personally express'' in finishing off each LD title / box ect.

I have also found that E.C. sleeves have in most cases, left an ink residue on the disk's that I have needed to carefully wipe clean with good purpose cleaning cloth's.

Good post thou as it's interesting to read what others think of E.C verses ANTI Static.

I have around 300 spare anti static sleeves and the same again of the resealable outer protective sleeves.
These will come in handy when purchasing further laserdisc's.

Kind Regards to all

:wave: :thumbup: :D

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 14:19 
Very interesting... I would actually love to see a video on how to properly handle and maintain ECs. It wouldn't change me or anything crazy, but I love seeing s**t like that. I personally try to replace all of mine, as I hate having to put them back in without wrinkling. Honestly, that's probably the only reason I hate them as they are usually out of site, out of mind.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 14:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm in two minds about them. Sometimes they slip in fine with no problem, other times I'm there 10 minutes just trying to get the EC back into the sleeve without it crinkling and creasing and leaving large parts of the disc unprotected.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 16:06 
As mentioned, the EC sleeves do work pretty well with the thick cardboard Japanese packaging. The JP sleeves are thick enough that some LD movement in transit (which paper sleeves prevent, due to the square shape securing the disc) will not easily punch through the cardboard even with an EC. The lower insertion resistance, and friction on inserts, is also nice (with no paper seams to hang up on the jacket too).

As mentioned, paper sleeves have their advantages also. A paper sleeve can really help with punch through on loosely packed (non JP) discs during shipment, as the square shape limits movement better than an EC (for example, the disc cannot easily transit outside the mouth of the outer jacket, provided the inner sleeve mouth faces up). Paper sleeves have a nice deluxe feeling, on the whole, and customized ones are neat LD artifacts (I have a disc with a paper sleeve printed with the name of Ken Crane's LD store and such).

Post subject: Re: Elephant Condoms
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 16:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I use EC's as inner liners to the MCA DiscoVision felt sleeves. MCA was worried about moisture affecting the discs so the felt sleeves were impregnated with some sort of hydrophobic substance that can break down and leave a powder-like residue on the discs that the laser has trouble reading through - and alhough its easy to remove, the residue is difficult to see when it coats a disc. So, I put all my DiscoVision discs that have felt liners into an EC first and then into the felt - I've even started gluing the EC into the felt liner with a few drops of the fabric glue that's used to glue bangles and stuff to fabric. Then the EC and felt sleeve are effectively "one piece" - from collecting DiscoVision for so long I've built up quite a number of extra felt sleeves that have come apart at the seams (they appear to have originally been heat sealed) and I repair the, with the fabric glue, glue in an EC and use them on my more valued discs, such as the Japanese release of Madonna: The Blond Ambition Tour '90. And I store my disc jackets in clear plastic outer jackets with the disc in its liner behind the jacket so the cardboard jacket never has to be handled outside of the plastic, nor do I have to worry about spines getting damaged. The best clear disc jackets are the non-yellowing and non-sticking ones from Chicago One-Stop (they don't 'outgas' either; I was told by a 3M disc engineer that 3M had found that the cheap plastic, soft vinyl jackets could outgas and cause or accelerate rot, because the chemicals used to soften the vinyl, to prevent it hardening and cracking, would escape from the vinyl with time and the discs were 'bathed' in them, causing all kinds of problems) - Ken Cranes used to sell them for $1.00 for the single disc size and $3.50 for the size that will hold a large open-top DisocVision box or a box like the CAV Aliens. They are THE best outer jackets I've ever seen or used. I just wish I had bought more back in the early 90's when Ken Cranes had them so cheap to use with discs I got from Japan and stuff. I don't even know if they are made anymore, but if they are, they are well worth seeking out because nothing will protect your discs and jackets better.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 16:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Like Disclord, I use them as liners for other sleeves. I have a bunch of paper only sleeves, and will use an EC as an inner liner. They work great for the felt sleeves from early DiscoVision. I also use them as liners in Tyvek LP sleeves, but those are almost impossible to find now. I have also gone through my entire LP collection and added EC to every album with a paper sleeve.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 16:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The main reason I replaced EC is because the text printed on them got "transferred" to the disc, on some discs I can still read what was on the EC... (for sake of clarity, not the ink as this is on the outer side of the EC, might have to be due to pressure during some time....) I have several of these, as I remember well, most examples were discs made by Kuraray (there disc plastics might be different)

Anyone else seen this?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 16:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Slightly off topic but do we know who coined the delightful phrase or has it been around since the first person imported a Japanese LP?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 17:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening hippiedalek,

Who coined the phrase Elephant Condom A.K.A EC ?

If yes then I heard this from when I personally began collecting LD's in April and beyond of 1998.

I laughed when I heard this mentioned at the time when replacing them in the shop. LOL

That was a funny moment.

:D

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 17:21 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I prefer the paper sleeves with the plastic inner sleeve not the Elephant Condoms. :lol: Maybe the Myth Busters should see if a Laserdisc condom fits an elephant. :lol:

The APOLLO 13 sleeves are getting a bit worn and I taped them up years ago... the film has been played so many times. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 23:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34, you have made me laugh so many times with your clever posts !!!!
Keep up the good work !

Has Mac got that flamethrower fixed yet !!!!!!
He must have, not too many trolls around as of lately !!!!!!

I must take credit for scaring them off with the chim chim moogie cookies though..........

Also prefer the paper with the plastic inner liner......
Still, the solo plastics do not hold dirt or bacteria as paper will do .........

Nice topic, great input here ...........

Last edited by firehorse_44 on 26 Jul 2013, 00:01, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Acta Non Verba .....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ....
Si Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ......

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2013, 23:18 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

firehorse_44 wrote:
laserbite34, you have made me laugh so many times with your clever posts !!!!
Keep up the good work !

Has Mac got that flamethrower fixed yet !!!!!!
He must have, not too many trolls around as of lately !!!!!!

I must take credit for scaring them off with the chim chim moogie cookies though..........

Also prefer the paper with the plastic inner liner......
Still, the solo plastics do not hold dirt or bacteria as paper will do .........Ni

Nice topic, great input here ...........

What do you want? Regular or extra crispy? :lol:

I have never noticed the plastic bags stinking to discs or any odd thing since collecting in 1994.

Page 1 of 3 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next